Combine the expressions for tension and solve for acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for the acceleration of both the cart and suspended mass in terms of their masses, the angle of the incline, and the acceleration due to gravity. The equation is derived by combining the equations for tension and solving for acceleration, resulting in A = (mg - Mg sin θ) / (M + m). The individual's attempt at solving the equation is shown, but they are unsure if they have done it correctly and are seeking help. The suggestion is made to stick to the notation used in the image provided, with "M" for the cart's mass and "m" for the suspended mass, and to eliminate any unknown variables when combining equations.
asusal
1. Derive an equation for the acceleration of both the cart and suspended mass in
terms of both masses (Mc and Ms ), the angle of the incline (θ), and the acceleration due to gravity (g).

Homework Equations

Fx=
T - Mgsin θ = Ma

T = Mgsin θ + Ma
Fy
T = mg - ma

Combine the expressions for Tension and solve for the acceleration.

A= (mg - Mg sin θ / M + m )

https://imgur.com/a/Okk79t9 (I know in the picture it's already derived in the correct form I just want to know how they got that correctly.)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I combined the equations

T= (ms*g-mc*g*sin(θ) ) / ( mc + mg)

T= ms (g- (ms*g-mc*g*sin θ/ mc+ms) )

[/B]
I'm assuming I factor MS and common denom but it doesn't seem like I'm doing this correctly.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uploaded the image for future readers..
cart.jpg

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 428
asusal said:
So I combined the equations
T= (ms*g-mc*g*sin(θ) ) / ( mc + mg)
T= ms (g- (ms*g-mc*g*sin θ/ mc+ms) )

I'm assuming I factor MS and common denom but it doesn't seem like I'm doing this correctly.
Any help would be appreciated!

Can you show more of your working?

Why introduce ms and mc ? In the image they use "M" for the mass of the cart and "m" for the suspended mass. I suggest you stick to that notation.

Hint: When you combine two equations you can frequently eliminate one unknown variable. Which unknown doesn't appear in the final equation given to you?

What is the equation for tension?

The equation for tension is T=ma, where T represents tension, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

What is the relationship between tension and acceleration?

The relationship between tension and acceleration is directly proportional. This means that as one increases, the other also increases in the same proportion.

How do you combine the expressions for tension and solve for acceleration?

To combine the expressions for tension and solve for acceleration, you can rearrange the equation T=ma to solve for a, which gives the equation a=T/m. This allows you to calculate the acceleration by dividing the tension by the mass.

What units are used for tension and acceleration?

Tension is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and acceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

What are some real-life examples of using this equation?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering, such as calculating the acceleration of an object being pulled by a rope or the tension on a bridge due to the weight of vehicles passing over it.