Mars Rover Upthrust and Acceleration calculations help 🚀

In summary: I will look for it again and hopefully be able to provide a better answer.My apologies but I have been looking for the question and have lost the page I found it on, which is partially why I copied it over in the first place. I had been revising some topics on fluids, denisty and upthrust which is whereabouts I found this problem classified. I will look for it again and hopefully be able to provide a better answer.
lpettigrew
Homework Statement
Hello, I have a question which I have answered below but I do not think that I have done so correctly. Could someone please advice me how to improve my workings?
1 . Modelling the parachute as a hemisphere, use the following information to calculate the upthrust produced due to the parachute.
ρmars atmosphere = 0.02 kgm^-3
volume of a sphere = 4 / 3 𝜋 𝑟^3
gmars = 3.8 ms^-2
2. Given that Curiosity’s mass equals 900 kg, what was its acceleration once the parachute was
deployed?
Relevant Equations
ρmars atmosphere = 0.02 kgm^-3
gmars = 3.8 ms^-2

F=ma
1. ρmars atmosphere = 0.02 kgm^-3
gmars = 3.8 ms^-2

So: Volume of a hemisphere=2/3 𝜋 𝑟^3
r=7.75 m

Archimedes' principle states that the upthrust on an object is equal to the weight of fluid that the body displaces

To find the upthrust produced;
upthrust=weight
upthrust=mg
upthrust=p*V*g

mass=density*volume
mass=0.02*(2/3*𝜋 *7.75^3)
mass=19.498~19.5kg (3.s.f)

upthrust=19.5*3.8=74.09~74.1 N2. Given that Curiosity’s mass equals 900 kg, what was its acceleration once the parachute was
deployed?

Using Newton's Second Law; F=ma
F=mg
a=F/m
a=mg/m
a=(900*3.8)-(19.5*3.8)/900+19.5
a=3345.9N/919.5kg
a=3.6388 ~3.64 ms^-2 (3.s.f)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. It is described as a parachute, but you are treating it as an evacuated hemisphere. Isn't the parachute filled with Martian air?
Seems to me you are not given the info needed. You need the drag coefficient.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I don't understand. It is described as a parachute, but you are treating it as an evacuated hemisphere. Isn't the parachute filled with Martian air?
Seems to me you are not given the info needed. You need the drag coefficient.
Thank you for your reply. Oh no, so are my answers incorrect? I have tried to utilise all of the information given, is it possible to calulate the upthrust and acceleration without the drag coefficient?

Thank
haruspex said:
Thank you for finding and attaching that. I am not sure if I should use the drag coefficient though as the question specifies to use the information provided, so I am not sure. Would neglecting the drag coefficient mean that my previous answers are wrong though?

lpettigrew said:
Thank

Thank you for finding and attaching that. I am not sure if I should use the drag coefficient though as the question specifies to use the information provided, so I am not sure. Would neglecting the drag coefficient mean that my previous answers are wrong though?
Without the drag equation, and a value for the coefficient, you have no basis for answering the question.
Treating it as an evacuated hemisphere and applying buoyancy principles is utterly wrong. If you were to detach the Rover and release the parachute, would it rise up like a helium balloon?

haruspex said:
Without the drag equation, and a value for the coefficient, you have no basis for answering the question.
Treating it as an evacuated hemisphere and applying buoyancy principles is utterly wrong. If you were to detach the Rover and release the parachute, would it rise up like a helium balloon?
Oh ok I seem what you mean. I was just attempting to answer the question in the format specified. Strangely, I think it is a question testing one's knowledge of buoyancy principles as you state, like Archimedes's Principle etc as opposed to drag. I found it online whilst revising but was not sure how to comprehensively answer it with the information given. So my answers do not apply then?

lpettigrew said:
Oh ok I seem what you mean. I was just attempting to answer the question in the format specified. Strangely, I think it is a question testing one's knowledge of buoyancy principles as you state, like Archimedes's Principle etc as opposed to drag. I found it online whilst revising but was not sure how to comprehensively answer it with the information given. So my answers do not apply then?
If you are trying to revise buoyancy, this is not a question to work on.
Please provide the link to it.

haruspex said:
If you are trying to revise buoyancy, this is not a question to work on.
Please provide the link to it.
My apologies but I have been looking for the question and have lost the page I found it on, which is partially why I copied it over in the first place. I had been revising some topics on fluids, denisty and upthrust which is whereabouts I found this problem classified.

1. How does the Mars Rover move on the surface of Mars?

The Mars Rover moves on the surface of Mars using its wheels, which are powered by motors. The wheels have a specific traction and torque that allow the rover to move forward, backward, and turn.

2. What is upthrust and why is it important for the Mars Rover?

Upthrust, also known as buoyancy, is the upward force exerted on an object in a fluid. It is important for the Mars Rover because it helps to counteract the force of gravity and keep the rover from sinking into the soft Martian soil.

3. How is acceleration calculated for the Mars Rover?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. In the case of the Mars Rover, the velocity is determined by the speed at which the wheels are rotating, and the time is measured by the onboard clock.

4. What factors affect the upthrust and acceleration of the Mars Rover?

The upthrust of the Mars Rover is affected by the density and composition of the Martian soil, as well as the weight and shape of the rover itself. The acceleration of the rover is affected by the power and efficiency of the motors, as well as the terrain and obstacles on the surface of Mars.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of the upthrust and acceleration calculations for the Mars Rover?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical models and real-time data from the rover to verify the accuracy of the upthrust and acceleration calculations. They also conduct extensive testing and simulations on Earth to simulate the conditions on Mars and make any necessary adjustments to the calculations.