Combining Computer Hardware & Geoscience: A Path to Petroleum Engineering

In summary: Maybe my thought process is unclear to you let me try to explain what I am thinking...the minor gives me some of the classes that I would need for that degree should (as a back up bc my ultimate passion is computer engineering) but should I decide to move (im thinking Texas) I would have some of the transfer classes and I would be employable in the oil and gas extraction industry and if need be I could transfer my classes and take the rest of them to be an actual petroleum engineer...I have no problem relocating but I have a family 2 kids and when I originally started this whole process I thought id be done with school in 4 years.In summary, it is possible to complete a major/minor
jorcesca
thoughts on a major in computer hardware engineering and a minor in geology maybe geophysics something that would give me the oil and gas extraction qualification to be a petroleum engineer or a computer hardware engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
A major/minor combination isn't a dual degree. A dual degree would be simultaneously completing two distinct degrees. I'm completing dual degrees in physics and math, which involves all of the normal requirements plus at least an additional 30 credits in the second field.

You might want to rephrase your question more specifically. It's not exactly clear what you're asking here. Petroleum engineering and computer hardware engineering are two very different fields.

QuantumCurt said:
A major/minor combination isn't a dual degree. A dual degree would be simultaneously completing two distinct degrees. I'm completing dual degrees in physics and math, which involves all of the normal requirements plus at least an additional 30 credits in the second field.

You might want to rephrase your question more specifically. It's not exactly clear what you're asking here. Petroleum engineering and computer hardware engineering are two very different fields.
im asking for thoughts on doing it that way vs actually earning two separate degrees...would that give me the education necessary to be a petroleum engineer

jorcesca said:
im asking for thoughts on doing it that way vs actually earning two separate degrees...would that give me the education necessary to be a petroleum engineer
Enrolling in an accredited petroleum engineering program.

The folks looking to hire petroleum engineers want to see that degree on your diploma, not a mish-mash of courses from other programs.

there aren't any where i live.
SteamKing said:
Enrolling in an accredited petroleum engineering program.

The folks looking to hire petroleum engineers want to see that degree on your diploma, not a mish-mash of courses from other programs.
there aren't any in my state due to it not being in high demand where i live which is why my first line being a computer hardware engineer but there's still a possibility that id move and was wondering if doing it that way could get my foot in the door

jorcesca said:
there aren't any where i live.

there aren't any in my state due to it not being in high demand where i live which is why my first line being a computer hardware engineer but there's still a possibility that id move and was wondering if doing it that way could get my foot in the door

Well, I'm sorry that this degree isn't offered at local schools. When I wanted to study engineering, all of the school choices for my engineering specialization were located completely across the country from where I lived. If you want something bad enough, you'll figure out how to get it. The point I'm trying to make here is, these opportunities are not going to come to you, necessarily. You may have to make some sacrifices now in order to obtain the education and training you need to attain your goals. If that means going to school out of town, so be it.

This brings up another question. Suppose, after going through this roundabout educational process, you do get interviewed for a job as a petroleum engineer. What happens if the job is located some distance far away from where you live, in another state, or even, another country?

SteamKing said:
Well, I'm sorry that this degree isn't offered at local schools. When I wanted to study engineering, all of the school choices for my engineering specialization were located completely across the country from where I lived. If you want something bad enough, you'll figure out how to get it. The point I'm trying to make here is, these opportunities are not going to come to you, necessarily. You may have to make some sacrifices now in order to obtain the education and training you need to attain your goals. If that means going to school out of town, so be it.

This brings up another question. Suppose, after going through this roundabout educational process, you do get interviewed for a job as a petroleum engineer. What happens if the job is located some distance far away from where you live, in another state, or even, another country?
Maybe my thought process is unclear to you let me try to explain what I am thinking...the minor gives me some of the classes that I would need for that degree should (as a back up bc my ultimate passion is computer engineering) but should I decide to move (im thinking Texas) I would have some of the transfer classes and I would be employable in the oil and gas extraction industry and if need be I could transfer my classes and take the rest of them to be an actual petroleum engineer...I have no problem relocating but I have a family 2 kids and when I relocate I want to do so smoothly I hope that makes more sense. I also have no problem pursuing what I want I am 27 have put the last 3 years of my life into nursing realized I want to do something different and I am willing to throw it all away to do what it is that I really want to do.

Just understand that you will be competing for jobs with people that do have those degrees in petroleum engineering, rather than a mish mash of courses meant to get close to a petroleum engineering degree. There's no shortage of applicants for these jobs, and it's likely that one of the chops made on the applications will be based on the actual degree. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but it would create a large extra hurdle.

1. What is the connection between computer hardware and geoscience in petroleum engineering?

The connection between computer hardware and geoscience in petroleum engineering lies in the use of advanced computer systems and software to analyze and interpret geological data. This allows for efficient and accurate identification of potential oil and gas reserves, as well as the planning and execution of drilling operations.

2. How does the combination of computer hardware and geoscience benefit the petroleum industry?

The combination of computer hardware and geoscience brings significant benefits to the petroleum industry. It allows for faster and more accurate analysis of geological data, reducing the time and cost of exploration and drilling. It also enables engineers to make more informed decisions and optimize drilling operations, leading to increased efficiency and productivity.

3. What types of computer hardware are used in petroleum engineering?

Various types of computer hardware are used in petroleum engineering, including powerful processors, high-speed graphics cards, and large storage capacities. These systems are necessary to handle the large amounts of data generated from geoscience analysis and 3D modeling software.

4. How does the integration of geoscience and computer hardware impact the job of a petroleum engineer?

The integration of geoscience and computer hardware has a significant impact on the job of a petroleum engineer. It allows for a more data-driven approach to decision making, reducing the reliance on manual interpretation and increasing the efficiency and accuracy of tasks. This also means that engineers need to have a strong understanding of both geoscience principles and computer hardware to excel in their roles.

5. What are some current and future advancements in the combination of computer hardware and geoscience in petroleum engineering?

Currently, advancements in the combination of computer hardware and geoscience in petroleum engineering are focused on improving the speed and accuracy of data analysis and interpretation. This includes the development of new software and hardware technologies, such as artificial intelligence and high-performance computing. In the future, we can expect to see even more advanced systems that will further enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of petroleum engineering processes.