Geophysics vs. Petroleum Engineering

In summary: Hardware engineering and geology would be a good combination for you. A minor in geology would help you learn about the earth's surface and its resources. A major in computer hardware engineering would give you the skills you need to design and build computer systems.
jay_harkara
I am currently a Molecular Biology major at The University of Texas at Dallas, but I am thinking about switching to Geosciences with an emphasis on Geophysics, only because the school doesn't offer a Petroleum Engineering Degree. Is this a good substitute? I would then go on to finish a Masters in Petroleum Engineering. How much of a disadvantage would this put me in, compared to students with a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are your career goals?

My current career goal is to be a Petroleum Engineer or a Hydrogeology Engineer.

In my opinion, it would be best to do mechanical or civil engineering for undergrad and then petroleum masters. I think not having a bachelor's in some type of engineering will hurt you later as a practicing engineer. You will not be able to take the PE test which may or may not matter for you.

As far as doing geophysics, you will definitely have the Geo part down and then you'll pick up the engineering stuff in grad. Where as if you do engineering, you'll pick up the Geo stuff in grad. Either route should work, it depends on your interests.

Have you taken any Geo classes?

Ok, this helps a lot, thank you. I am registered for Physical Geology, which I will be taking in the Spring. I was planning on using that class as a way to evaluate whether or not this career would be the right choice for me.

That's a great idea. I started in bioengineering but eventually lost interest in the life sciences. After taking physical geology I was hooked on the geosciences.

Good luck!

Likes 1 person
can i jump in on this and ask your thoughts on a major in computer hardware engineering and a minor in geology maybe geophysics something that would give me the oil and gas extraction qualification to be a petroleum engineer or a computer hardware engineer?

What is the difference between geophysics and petroleum engineering?

Geophysics is a branch of science that deals with the study of the physical properties and processes of the Earth, while petroleum engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and gas resources.

What are the main responsibilities of a geophysicist?

A geophysicist's main responsibilities include using various techniques to study the Earth's structure, properties, and processes, interpreting data to locate and assess natural resources, and providing information for engineering and environmental purposes.

What are the main responsibilities of a petroleum engineer?

A petroleum engineer's main responsibilities include designing and implementing methods for extracting oil and gas from underground reservoirs, analyzing production data and optimizing production rates, and managing drilling and production operations.

Which field has a higher earning potential, geophysics or petroleum engineering?

On average, petroleum engineers tend to have a higher earning potential than geophysicists. This is due to the high demand for their expertise in the oil and gas industry and the complex nature of their work.

Can a geophysicist work in the petroleum industry and vice versa?

Yes, a geophysicist can work in the petroleum industry and vice versa. While their main areas of focus may differ, there is overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both fields. Additionally, many geophysicists and petroleum engineers work together on projects in the oil and gas industry.