Combining Laplace Transforms to Obtain Time Domain Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for obtaining the time domain behavior for a given equation involving Laplace transforms. It involves combining two Laplace transforms to cancel the term in the numerator and using the "exponential shift" rule. The final result is the Laplace transform of a specific equation.
bitrex

Homework Statement

Not a homework problem exactly, but in an EE textbook I saw something to the following effect:

To obtain the time domain behavior for [tex]\frac{s}{s^2+\frac{\omega_0}{Q} + {\omega_0}^2}[/tex] the following Laplace transforms are combined to cancel the term in the numerator:

[tex]\frac{1}{(s-\alpha)^2+b^2} = \frac{1}{b}e^{\alpha t}sin(bt)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{s+\alpha}{(s-a)^2 + b^2} = e^{\alpha t}cos(bt)[/tex]

I may just be tired, but I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how those two Laplace transforms were algebraically combined to get "s" alone in the numerator. Any hint would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{s}{(s-\alpha)^2 + b^2}=\frac{s+\alpha-\alpha}{(s-\alpha)^2 + b^2}[/tex] :wink:

Aha! I see it now. Need to remember my "exponential shift" rule.

So we get [tex]\frac{s+\alpha-\alpha}{(s-\alpha)^2 + b^2} = \frac{s-\alpha}{(s-\alpha)^2 + b^2} + \frac{\alpha}{(s-\alpha)^2 + b^2} = e^{\alpha t}L^{-1}(\frac{s}{s^2+b^2} + \alpha\frac{1}{s^2+b^2}) [/tex]

which I believe is the Laplace transform of

[tex]e^{\alpha t}*(cos(bt) + \frac{\alpha}{b}sin(bt))[/tex]

Thanks!

Related to Combining Laplace Transforms to Obtain Time Domain Behavior

1. What is the Laplace transform combination?

The Laplace transform combination is a mathematical operation used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is a powerful tool in engineering and physics, allowing for the analysis and solving of differential equations.

2. How is the Laplace transform combination calculated?

The Laplace transform combination is calculated by integrating the product of the function and the exponential term, e^-st, with respect to time. This integral is then evaluated from 0 to infinity.

3. What are the benefits of using the Laplace transform combination?

The Laplace transform combination allows for the simplification of differential equations, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the analysis of complex systems in the frequency domain, which can provide insights into the behavior of a system.

4. Can the Laplace transform combination be applied to any function?

No, the Laplace transform combination can only be applied to functions that are piecewise continuous and have an exponential order of growth. This means that the function must have a finite number of discontinuities and cannot grow too quickly.

5. How is the Laplace transform combination used in real-world applications?

The Laplace transform combination has many applications in engineering, physics, and other sciences. It is used to model and analyze systems such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.