Combining the Spins of 3 spin 1 particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining a spin ##|32>## state, which can be achieved through various combinations of spin 1 and spin 2 particles. The normalization coefficients can be determined by looking them up in the Clepsch Gordon Table. However, there may be multiple possibilities for obtaining a spin ##|32>## state. The conversation also mentions a specific problem from Sakurai's 2nd edition, which can be solved more easily using a different approach suggested by the professor.
rmiller70015
Homework Statement
Find the normalized spin states for three identical non-interacting bosons where two have m_s = 1, and one has m_s = 0
Relevant Equations
None
I am having trouble with the normalization part.
To get a spin ##|32>## state I could have the following possibilities
##C_1|111110> + C_2|111011> + C_3|101111>##

This should be equivalent to
##C_1|11>|21> + C_2|11>|21> + C_3|10>|22>##
That is a spin 1 particle and a spin 2 particle that need to be combined.
So, to get the normalization coefficients would I just look these up in the Clepsch Gordon Table and that's all?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be careful here. If you add three spins ##S=1## with ##M_S=2##, is ##| 32\rangle## the only possibility?

Thanks, I see what the problem is, also I was using bad representation of the spins, this is from chapter 7 problem 7 in Sakurai 2nd ed. and the way my professor told me to do the problem made it a lot easier.

Likes kuruman

Related to Combining the Spins of 3 spin 1 particles

1. What is the significance of combining the spins of 3 spin 1 particles?

The combination of spins of particles plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of matter. In the case of 3 spin 1 particles, the resulting spin combination can determine the overall spin of a system, which can have implications in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

2. How can the spins of 3 spin 1 particles be combined?

The spins of particles can be combined through the mathematical operation known as addition of angular momentum. This involves taking into account the individual spin values of each particle and their relative orientations to determine the overall spin of the system.

3. What are the possible outcomes of combining the spins of 3 spin 1 particles?

The possible outcomes of combining the spins of 3 spin 1 particles depend on the individual spin values of each particle. The resulting overall spin can be a combination of all three individual spins, resulting in a higher or lower spin value, or it can be a combination of two or all three particles having the same spin value.

4. Can the spins of 3 spin 1 particles be combined in different ways?

Yes, the spins of particles can be combined in different ways depending on the specific system and the desired outcome. For example, the spins can be combined in a symmetric or antisymmetric manner, leading to different overall spin values and properties of the system.

5. What are some practical applications of combining the spins of 3 spin 1 particles?

The combination of spins of particles has various applications in fields such as quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and particle physics. It can also help in understanding the behavior of matter and the fundamental forces that govern the universe.