Combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen

In summary: I have researched a few articles about the combustion in a ssme.There is excess 'energy' in the form of monotomic or diatomic hydrogen. Will link the reference soon.If you know there is a AF ratio of 6 on a mass basis then you will get the complete eqBalancing the eq you stated above could result in an infinite number of solutions without the AF ratio..then again I could be wrong, haven't received my grade backPerhaps that's a bit of nitpicking on my side, but when you include excess reagents (together with the inert compounds) you get a mass balance for the process, not the balanced reaction equation. In some ways they are similar, in other
MechStudent123
Im working on a problem regarding a SSME and need to figure out the balanced eq for LH2 and LOx.

I thought it was simply.. H2 +0.5O2 > H2O however my professor has confirmed that it is not the case in this situation. I am stumped as to what it could possibly be, maybe excess H2? And am not supposed to include dissociation for the reaction.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what else it could be, this is the correct overall reaction equation. The mixture is definitely not exactly stoichiometric during the reaction, and the flame temperature is so high some of the water produced undergoes thermal decomposition (or, more precisely, the mixture never reacts to the end till it cools down a bit outside of the engine and the output flame), but in the end it is just a water synthesis.

Do you have contamination of the reaction by air?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Do you have contamination of the reaction by air?

BoB
I ended up figuring it out

2H2 + O2 >2 H2O + H2 then baa fed for the AF of 6

I believe this was the eq I ended up using, not looking at it right now. *balanced

MechStudent123 said:
2H2 + O2 >2 H2O + H2 then baa fed for the AF of 6

Huh?

Then balanced the equation. I guess the ssme produces h2 as a byproduct

If you balance

H2 + O2 → H2O + H2

you will find no hydrogen on the right (coefficient of zero) and you will end with exactly the same equation you listed in your very first post.

I have researched a few articles about the combustion in a ssme. There is excess 'energy' in the form of monotomic or diatomic hydrogen. Will link the reference soon.

If you know there is a AF ratio of 6 on a mass basis then you will get the complete eq

Balancing the eq you stated above could result in an infinite number of solutions without the AF ratio..then again I could be wrong, haven't received my grade back

Perhaps that's a bit of nitpicking on my side, but when you include excess reagents (together with the inert compounds) you get a mass balance for the process, not the balanced reaction equation. In some ways they are similar, in other ways they are distinct.

Related to Combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen

1. What is combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen?

The combustion EQ (equation) of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen is the chemical reaction that occurs when these two substances are mixed together and ignited. The equation is 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O + energy (heat).

2. What is the purpose of studying combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen?

Studying the combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen is important for understanding the process of combustion and how it can be harnessed to produce energy. It is also crucial for developing efficient and safe methods of using these substances as rocket propellants.

3. What factors affect the combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen?

The combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen can be influenced by several factors including temperature, pressure, and the ratio of the two substances. Higher temperatures and pressures can lead to a faster reaction, while a higher ratio of liquid Oxygen to liquid Hydrogen can result in a more intense combustion.

4. How does the combustion EQ of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen differ from other types of combustion?

The combustion of liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen is often referred to as "cryogenic combustion" because it occurs at extremely low temperatures. This type of combustion also produces a clean and efficient burn, with water vapor being the only byproduct.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen?

Working with liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen can be extremely dangerous due to their flammability and potential for explosive reactions. Proper safety measures, including using appropriate protective gear and following strict handling and storage protocols, should always be taken when dealing with these substances.