Combustion, or not Combustion?

• Thread starter Soley101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, combustion is the production of heat and light when a fuel reacts with an oxidant, typically oxygen. In the experiment with NH4NO3, it reacts with heat to produce N2O and water, while in the experiment with NH4NO3 and Zn, it produces N2, ZnO, and water. Both of these reactions can be considered combustion reactions.
Soley101
what is needed for combustion?

I have this experiment NH4NO3 reacts to form (with chlorine as catalyst) N2O and water

the experiment is called oxidation of zinc, so another equation is Zn and NH4NO3 react to form ZnO and water. Anyways, the result is a blue flame and smoke

Combustion is the production of heat and light when something reacts with oxygen. I know that all combustion reactions are automatically oxidation reduction reactions. But how do i determine if oxygen is being used in this reaction to fuel the flame. Basically, is theis a redox and combustion reaction.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Soley101 said:
what is needed for combustion?

I have this experiment NH4NO3 reacts to form (with chlorine as catalyst) N2O and water

the experiment is called oxidation of zinc, so another equation is Zn and NH4NO3 react to form ZnO and water. Anyways, the result is a blue flame and smoke

Combustion is the production of heat and light when something reacts with oxygen. I know that all combustion reactions are automatically oxidation reduction reactions. But how do i determine if oxygen is being used in this reaction to fuel the flame. Basically, is theis a redox and combustion reaction.

Sorry, could you rephrase your question more precisely?
You want to know about:
NH4NO3 + heat --> N2O + 2H2O
or about:
NH4NO3 + Zn --> N2 + ZnO + 2H2O
or what exactly?

How do I know if this reaction is a combustion reACTION? wHERE DOES IT REACT WITH OXYGEN TO PRODUCE HEAT AND LIGHT.

Soley101 said:
How do I know if this reaction is a combustion reACTION? wHERE DOES IT REACT WITH OXYGEN TO PRODUCE HEAT AND LIGHT.
Which reaction of the ones I've written?

NH4NO3 + heat --> N2O + 2H2O
Fuel: NH4+ [to be more precise: nitrogen(-III) in NH4+]
Oxidant: NO3- [nitrogen(+V) in NO3-]

NH4NO3 + Zn --> N2 + ZnO + 2H2O
Fuel: NH4+ and Zn
Oxidant: NO3-

So, yes, they both are combustions, even the first one (AFAIK).

Anyway, maybe someone could define a reaction as "combustion" only if a fuel reacts with oxygen (it would sound strange to me); I don't know how they defined it in your school/books/ecc.

Last edited:

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs when a fuel (such as gasoline, wood, or natural gas) combines with oxygen in the air to produce heat and light. This process is also known as burning.

2. How does combustion occur?

Combustion occurs when a fuel vapor is heated to its ignition temperature, causing it to react with oxygen in the air. This reaction produces heat energy, carbon dioxide, and water vapor.

3. What are the different types of combustion?

There are three types of combustion: complete, incomplete, and spontaneous. Complete combustion occurs when there is enough oxygen present for the fuel to burn completely, producing carbon dioxide and water vapor. Incomplete combustion occurs when there is not enough oxygen, resulting in the production of carbon monoxide and soot. Spontaneous combustion occurs when a substance (such as oily rags) self-ignites due to a chemical reaction.

4. What are the main applications of combustion?

The main applications of combustion include powering engines in vehicles and generating heat for cooking, heating, and electricity production. Combustion is also used in industrial processes such as refining, metal smelting, and waste incineration.

5. What are the environmental impacts of combustion?

Combustion releases harmful pollutants into the atmosphere, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter, which contribute to air pollution and climate change. Incomplete combustion can also produce toxic byproducts. However, advancements in technology and the use of cleaner fuels have helped to reduce these impacts.