Can Combustion Synthesis on LiNO3 Produce Lithium Oxide Li2O?

• Thread starter mykey651
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is conducting a combustion synthesis process to obtain lithium oxide Li2O from LiNO3 using different fuels and molar ratios. However, they have not been successful and have found limited information on this specific process. They are now considering using a furnace to decompose LiNO3 into Li2O. The suggested equation and temperature for this process are provided, but the speaker is still waiting for XRD analysis to confirm the success of the process. They also ask for any additional information or suggestions on this matter.
mykey651
TL;DR Summary
SCS on LiNO3 expected to obtain Li2O
I'm trying to obtain some lithium oxide Li2O using combustion synthesis on LiNO3. I tried different fuels such as: citric acid, urea, sucrose, glycine in different molar ratios. I follow the steps for SCS with gel formation, and combustion temperature but the results it's still the same. I always obtain LiNO3 back and sometimes some other Li-C compounds (maybe Li2CO3). I couldn't find any article on SCS for LiNO3 for Li2O obtaining but just some Li compounds with Mn, Co, Ni, Fe etc. but not just Li2O. Has anybody any idea what would be the catch? I currently working on decomposition of LiNO3 into Li2O using open flame and maybe a furnace. I would appreciate any suggestion, documents, articles, opinion on this matter. Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have never done this but I think heating LiNO3 in a furnace @ 485 C should do it. The equation is
4LiNO3 + heat ==> 2Li2O + 4NO2 + O2

The temperature should be controlled since I understand that heating above 500 C will likely form LiNO2 but I can't confirm that.

Hope it works

Thank you Dr Bob.

Im waiting for xrd analysis on decomposed LiNO3 sample. I observed some bright white powder as result, similar with Li2O in appearance. Also i have found some limited information about LiNO3 deconposition. Can you share some with me if it is available?

Thank you

1. What is Combustion Synthesis?

Combustion synthesis, also known as self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS), is a method of producing materials through a combustion reaction. In this process, an exothermic reaction between reactants produces enough heat to sustain the reaction without external energy. This method is often used for synthesizing ceramics, intermetallic compounds, and composites.

2. Can Combustion Synthesis Produce Lithium Oxide (Li2O) from Lithium Nitrate (LiNO3)?

Yes, combustion synthesis can potentially produce lithium oxide (Li2O) from lithium nitrate (LiNO3). When lithium nitrate decomposes under high temperatures, it typically yields lithium oxide along with nitrogen dioxide and oxygen as by-products. However, the efficiency and purity of the lithium oxide produced depend on the specific conditions of the synthesis, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other materials that can act as fuel or catalysts.

3. What are the Typical Conditions Required for Combustion Synthesis of Li2O from LiNO3?

The combustion synthesis of Li2O from LiNO3 typically requires high temperatures, usually above the decomposition temperature of LiNO3, which is around 470 degrees Celsius. The process may also require an inert or reducing atmosphere to prevent the oxidation of lithium into a higher oxide or the formation of unwanted by-products. Precise control of temperature and atmosphere is crucial to ensure the purity and yield of Li2O.

4. What are the By-products of Combusting LiNO3 to Produce Li2O?

When lithium nitrate (LiNO3) is subjected to combustion synthesis, it decomposes to produce lithium oxide (Li2O) as the primary product. The typical by-products include nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and oxygen (O2). These gases are released during the decomposition process and must be managed properly to avoid environmental and safety issues.

5. What are the Potential Applications of Lithium Oxide Produced via Combustion Synthesis?

Lithium oxide (Li2O) produced via combustion synthesis has several potential applications, particularly in areas where its chemical properties are advantageous. It is used as a flux in ceramic glazes, as a constituent in glass and ceramics to improve thermal and chemical resistance, and in lithium-ion batteries as a component of the cathode material. Additionally, it finds use in nuclear fusion reactors as a tritium breeding material.