Velocity of Comet at a given distance

In summary: I substituted 8.3 km/s for 0.8 km/s in the equation. I don't know what is wrong with it. Whenever I try to enter 0.8 km/s, it gives me an error.
Hamish Taylor

Homework Statement

Halley’s Comet travels in a highly eccentric (non-circular) orbit. At its closest approach, it is about 9×10^7 km away from the sun and travels with a speed of 54.6 km/s. What is the comet’s speed when it crosses the orbit of Neptune, about 5 billion kilometres from the sun?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy, Ei = Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made numerous attempts utilised conservation of energy because I don't see why we would need to bring angular momentum into it (given that we're not told that 5 billion km is the apopasis and therefore can't reduce it to mvr), why does my conservation of energy equation give me an answer of 8.3 km/s when the answer should be 0.8 km/s? Any help would be much appreciated. Whenever I insert the provided answer into the conversation of energy formula, it just doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hamish Taylor said:
I have made numerous attempts utilised conservation of energy because I don't see why we would need to bring angular momentum into it (given that we're not told that 5 billion km is the apopasis and therefore can't reduce it to mvr), why does my conservation of energy equation give me an answer of 8.3 km/s when the answer should be 0.8 km/s? Any help would be much appreciated. Whenever I insert the provided answer into the conversation of energy formula, it just doesn't work out.
We might be better able to find errors in your work if you were to show your work. Set angular momentum to one side and show us one attempt at a conservation of energy approach.

Hamish Taylor said:

Homework Statement

Halley’s Comet travels in a highly eccentric (non-circular) orbit. At its closest approach, it is about 9×10^7 km away from the sun and travels with a speed of 54.6 km/s. What is the comet’s speed when it crosses the orbit of Neptune, about 5 billion kilometres from the sun?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy, Ei = Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

You are right, conservation of energy should work. I got nearly the same result as you.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a comet at a given distance?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a comet at a given distance is V = √(GM(2/r - 1/a)), where V is the velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the comet, r is the distance from the comet to the sun, and a is the semi-major axis of the comet's orbit.

2. How does the velocity of a comet change as it gets closer to the sun?

The velocity of a comet increases as it gets closer to the sun due to the increasing strength of the sun's gravitational pull on the comet. This is described by Kepler's Second Law, which states that a planet or comet will move faster in its orbit when it is closer to the sun.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a comet at a given distance?

The velocity of a comet at a given distance can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the comet, the distance from the comet to the sun, and the strength of the sun's gravitational pull. Other factors such as the presence of other objects in the comet's path and any external forces acting on the comet can also affect its velocity.

4. How is the velocity of a comet at a given distance measured?

The velocity of a comet at a given distance can be measured using various methods, including radar measurements, spectroscopic observations, and mathematical calculations based on the comet's orbit and distance from the sun. Scientists also use data from spacecraft that have flown close to comets to measure their velocities.

5. Can the velocity of a comet at a given distance change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a comet at a given distance can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the comet's orbit, interactions with other objects, and the effects of gas and dust jets on the comet's motion. This is why scientists continuously monitor and track the velocities of comets to better understand their behavior and evolution.