Coming Soon: PF Member Awards 2015

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the PF Member Awards are coming back for 2015 and there are three new categories: Guidance Counselor Award, Insights Writer Award, and Top Insights Article Award. Public polls will open on December 16th and will close December 30th. The award ceremony will be held on January 2nd.
The often imitated but never duplicated PF Member Awards are coming back for 2015! The PF Member Awards have been hosted for 13 years. It's a popular vote where the community votes for their favorite nominee. These nominee's have been selected by staff for their outstanding contributions throughout the year.

This year we are excited to unveil 3 new categories:
1. Guidance Counselor Award
2. Insights Writer Award
3. Top Insights Article Award

Public polls open on December 16th and will close December 30th. Award ceremony will be held on Jan 2nd.

You have 13 days to make an impression. Go!

Likes PWiz, diredragon, blue_leaf77 and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I remind all nominees of the time honored tradition of bribing your favorite mentor with fish and christmas gifts in the back alley for more votes... I also accept visa, mastercard, and firstborns...

Likes bhobba, PWiz, Cosmophile and 6 others
Where's the list of the rest of the categories?

Strum said:
Where's the list of the rest of the categories?

They will all be shown in a thread as a poll, once the voting is openedD

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Drakkith said:
I remind all nominees of the time honored tradition of bribing your favorite mentor with fish and christmas gifts in the back alley for more votes... I also accept visa, mastercard, and firstborns...
Would you like the firstborns delivered by Fed X or Amazon airmail? But I'm guessing that bribing someone will make you ineligible for being nominated. Am I correct?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Here's a link to the 2014 winners, showing the categories... :smile:

Oh! So Mentors are eligible for the prizes this time around. That's nice. :smile:

Likes vanhees71
Oops, forgot the link. I edited it back in now...

And no, current Mentors are not eligible :smile:

Likes OmCheeto
berkeman said:
And no, current Mentors are not eligible :smile:
Except for the "Banhammer 2k+ category" which we all share. :)

STILL no category for grumpiest? Well, bah humbug !

Likes DrClaude and ElijahRockers
phinds said:
Would it even require a vote?

Likes ElijahRockers and Bandersnatch
Orodruin said:
Would it even require a vote?
I should hope not! That's why I want it as a category. It's damned hard staying as grumpy as I am and I think I should get an award for it.

phinds said:
I should hope not! That's why I want it as a category. It's damned hard staying as grumpy as I am and I think I should get an award for it.
That's the grumpiest thing I have heard since I heard myself grumpying over the fact that being a mentor disqualified me from the newcomer award last year! :-p

Likes bhobba and Drakkith
phinds said:
You may never be granted the pomp and the fanfare, but know thee that your award is duly bestowed and forever ensconced in our hearts.

Likes phinds and Drakkith
We should have a category on favorite crackpot. It will be the toughest category because one has to catch all the gems being posted by the crackpot before they are summarily deleted and before the crackpot was snuffed out of existence from PF.

The winner will have their screen name embossed on a picture of a cracked pot, and with the Ghostbusters slash across it. It will be prominently displayed in the PF hall of shame (oh, you didn't know that we have one?).

Zz.

Likes bhobba, UncertaintyAjay, Drakkith and 1 other person
ZapperZ said:
PF hall of shame
Not sure what to make of this.

ZapperZ said:
We should have a category on favorite crackpot. It will be the toughest category because one has to catch all the gems being posted by the crackpot before they are summarily deleted and before the crackpot was snuffed out of existence from PF.

The winner will have their screen name embossed on a picture of a cracked pot, and with the Ghostbusters slash across it. It will be prominently displayed in the PF hall of shame (oh, you didn't know that we have one?).

Zz.
You'd win that one hands down.

dlgoff said:
You'd win that one hands down.
Uh, did you just call Zz a crackpot? :))

Evo said:
Uh, did you just call Zz a crackpot? :))
NOOOO! From my experience here at PF, Zz is the crackpot and troll detector. :oldbiggrin:

tumblr_kvpgupZOVo1qa02x4o1_250.jpg

Likes bhobba
dlgoff said:
NOOOO! From my experience here at PF, Zz is the crackpot and troll detector. :oldbiggrin:

tumblr_kvpgupZOVo1qa02x4o1_250.jpg
Lol, I know.

Likes dlgoff
ZapperZ said:

Zz.
There is a secret crackpot fan club. Some of us have been archiving them before they get deleted. :oldtongue:

You could NEVER keep a secret! :rolleyes:

Likes Borg
berkeman said:
You could NEVER keep a secret! :rolleyes:
Just the ones that matter. :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
You have 13 days to make an impression.
If someone didn't catch the attention of others in a year, I doubt some last minute campaigning would do them any good :biggrin:

Likes OmCheeto
PWiz said:
If someone didn't catch the attention of others in a year, I doubt some last minute campaigning would do them any good :biggrin:
pfft! Always worked for me. :devil: :oldbiggrin: :angel:

Likes PWiz
PWiz said:
Well, I don't know. I'm thinking about being PARTICULARLY grumpy for the next 2 weeks.

Likes PWiz
OmCheeto said:
pfft! Always worked for me. :devil: :oldbiggrin: :angel:

Though, I'm having a bit of mind-fog at the moment, trying to determine the polar notation for a spheroid, where x = y.
Perhaps I should find myself a helpful mathematician, and vote for them.

I hear that Einstein once had to go to the lengths of marrying one.

But, as Meatloaf once alluded to; "I'll do anything for science, but I won't do that".

OmCheeto said:
Perhaps I should find myself a helpful mathematician, and vote for them
Hmmm, @micromass is the first one to come to my mind... but he has most probably won a dozen PF awards already :-p

PWiz said:
Hmmm, @micromass is the first one to come to my mind... but he has most probably won a dozen PF awards already :-p

It now a moot matter. I engaged my brain for a few seconds, and figured it out myself.

polar.form.ellipse.r2c.jpg

Well, ok. Wiki gave me the answer. But now I can go figure out something. Maybe next year, I'll have another maths problem.

Likes PWiz
Tomorrow the polls open. Last chance to browse last year's polls
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/pf-member-awards-2014.243/

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Tomorrow the polls open. Last chance to browse last year's polls
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/pf-member-awards-2014.243/
Aren't these things archived?

Last edited by a moderator:
0 days! I can't wait!