Common interaction vacuum for QED + QCD?

In summary, you are not sure how to interpret Feynman diagrams mathematically. You need a common vacuum for both QED and QCD, but you only need the perturbative vacuum.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

I know QED and QCD as isolated theories but now I thought about particle interactions with QED and QCD processes (like fpr proton-antiproton scattering). But I'm not sure how to interpret this mathematically.

As I understood my Feynman diagrams are nothing more like pictures for the transition amplitueds (up to some orders). For this we introduce a interaction vacuum state [itex]|\Omega\rangle[/itex]. And then we are able to calculate: [tex]\langle\Omega|\phi(x_1)...\phi(x_n)|\Omega\rangle.[/tex] I thougth this means the creation of some particle at [itex]\phi[/itex] at [itex]x_n[/itex] and anihilation at some other space time point.

But if I like to have both interactions in one diagram I need a common interaction vacuum to write such transition amplitueds? Is there a common state for QED and QED or better for the standard model? Or are they different? But how can I interpret these processes in tis case?

Thanks for some answers. Maybe I'm a bit to confused with this whole QFT thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vacuum for pure QED or QCD will differ from the vacuum of both of them combined (and the two vacua naturally differ from each other). Whatever problem (Hamiltonian) you're working with, you'll want to compute correlation functions with respect to the vacuum of that Hamiltonian.

Likes Demystifier
You need, of course, a common vacuum. But since you work with Feynman diagrams, i.e. perturbatively, you only need the perturbative vacuum which is quite simple to find. If ##|0_{\rm QED}\rangle## and ##|0_{\rm QCD}\rangle## are perturbative QED and QCD vacuums, respectively, then the full perturbative vacuum is simply ##|0_{\rm QED}\rangle \otimes |0_{\rm QCD}\rangle##.

The existence of a vacuum vector for a 4D QFT is postulated by the Wightman axioms. Ironically, the set of Wightman axioms is mathematically founded, but physically it checks out only for a QFT of a scalar field in 4D Minkowski spacetime with no self-interaction, so no QED or QCD, or their union for the (presumable) theory of electromagnetic quark-quark scattering. So ##|0_{\mbox{QED}}\rangle## and its counterpart for QCD could be very well taken as ill-defined.

dextercioby said:
but physically it checks out only for a QFT of a scalar field in 4D Minkowski spacetime with no self-interaction
What's wrong with a vector or spinor free (i.e. non-interacting) field in arbitrary number of dimensions?

1. What is a common interaction vacuum for QED + QCD?

A common interaction vacuum for QED + QCD refers to the vacuum state in which both quantum electrodynamics (QED) and quantum chromodynamics (QCD) interactions are present. In this state, particles interact with each other through both electromagnetic and strong nuclear forces.

2. How does the common interaction vacuum affect particle interactions?

The common interaction vacuum has a significant impact on particle interactions as it allows for the exchange of both photons (mediators of electromagnetic force) and gluons (mediators of strong nuclear force). This leads to more complex and diverse interactions between particles compared to a vacuum state with only one type of interaction present.

3. Can the common interaction vacuum be observed in experiments?

Yes, the common interaction vacuum can be observed in experiments, particularly in high-energy particle colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These experiments involve colliding particles at extremely high energies, creating conditions similar to the early universe where both QED and QCD interactions were present.

4. What is the significance of studying the common interaction vacuum?

Studying the common interaction vacuum is crucial for understanding the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of particles. It also helps us better understand the early universe and the conditions that existed shortly after the Big Bang.

5. Are there any practical applications of the common interaction vacuum?

While there are no direct practical applications of the common interaction vacuum, the knowledge gained from studying it can lead to advancements in technology, such as the development of more accurate models and simulations for particle interactions. This can have implications in fields such as material science and nuclear engineering.