Common proofs? (studying for an exam)

• Thread starter Helphelphelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Proofs
In summary, the person is seeking advice on useful proofs to know for their upcoming exam. They have already covered proofs related to diffraction gratings, centripetal acceleration, and capacitance equations. They are looking for additional proofs at their level (18 years old/ A level). Suggestions for proofs involving the wave equation, simple harmonic motion, and Hooke's Law are given.
Helphelphelp

Homework Statement

I'm currently studying for an exam, but I don't know exactly what could be on it - the specification is very vague. I was just wondering if there were some useful proofs I should know? I've covered things like proving the diffraction grating experiment, centripetal acceleration or snells law and deriving capacitance equations for time constant by integration, so nothing too mathematically complicated. I was wondering if there was anything more you could think of that are nice proofs I should learn for my level (18 year old/a level)? Thank you :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Helphelphelp said:

Homework Statement

I'm currently studying for an exam, but I don't know exactly what could be on it - the specification is very vague. I was just wondering if there were some useful proofs I should know? I've covered things like proving the diffraction grating experiment, centripetal acceleration or snells law and deriving capacitance equations for time constant by integration, so nothing too mathematically complicated. I was wondering if there was anything more you could think of that are nice proofs I should learn for my level (18 year old/a level)? Thank you :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF.

Have you worked with the wave equation and SHM yet? Might you have to derive the period of a pendulum? How would you derive the energy stored in a compressed spring given just Hooke's Law as a starting point? :smile:

Related to Common proofs? (studying for an exam)

1. What is the purpose of studying common proofs?

Studying common proofs allows us to understand and apply established methods of reasoning and logic in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. What are some common types of proofs?

Some common types of proofs include direct proofs, indirect proofs, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by contraposition.

3. How can I improve my ability to construct proofs?

Improving your ability to construct proofs requires practice and familiarity with different proof techniques. It is also helpful to carefully analyze and understand the given information and assumptions in a problem.

4. Can common proofs be used in other areas of study?

Yes, the principles of common proofs can be applied in various fields such as computer science, philosophy, and engineering to support logical arguments and conclusions.

5. Are there any tips for effectively studying common proofs?

Some tips for studying common proofs include breaking down complex proofs into smaller, more manageable steps, seeking help from peers or instructors, and reviewing and practicing regularly.