Commutator of Charges of the charged Weak Currents

In summary, the commutator between the operators T^{+} and T^{-} is equal to 2 times the operator T^{3}, which is a necessary step in proving that \text{SU}(2)_L is a part of the GWS Electroweak gauge symmetry group. Using the anticommutation relations, the delta function is produced automatically and is not needed to solve this problem. The final result is obtained by considering the anticommutators and applying the identity [AB,CD] = A \big\{ C , B \big\} D - C \big\{ A , D \big\} B + \big\{ A , C \big\} DB - AC \big
karkas

Homework Statement

I'm having a bit of trouble evaluating the following commutator

$$ \left[T^{+},T^{-}\right] $$

where [itex]T^{+}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\bar{\nu}_{L}\gamma^{0}e_{L}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\nu_{L}^{\dagger}e_{L} [/itex]

and

[itex] T^{-}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\bar{e}_{L}\gamma^{0}\nu_{L}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:e_{L}^{\dagger}\nu_{L}[/itex]

a step necessary to prove that the [itex]\text{SU}(2)_L[/itex] is a part of the GWS Electroweak gauge symmetry group. Discussing with my professor I've been confused as to how I should proceed with this. Initially, I wrote:

[itex]\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right]=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:d^{3}y\:\left[\nu_{L}^{\dagger}\left(x^{\mu}\right)e_{L}\left(x^{\mu}\right),e_{L}^{\dagger}\left(y^{\mu}\right)\nu_{L}\left(y^{\mu}\right)\right]\delta^{3}\left(x-y\right)[/itex]

according to Paschos (Electroweak Theory) where my something of an unfamiliarity with QFT leaves me wondering exactly how I inserted that Dirac delta, but I see it's necessary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of using the fermionic algebra, the anticommutator [itex]\left\{ a(y),a^{\dagger}(x)\right\} =1 \Rightarrow a(y)a^{\dagger}(x)=\left\{ a(y),a^{\dagger}(x)\right\} -a^{\dagger}(x)a(y)[/itex] along with the Dirac delta should let me reach [itex]\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\left(\nu_{L}^{\dagger}\nu_{L}-e_{L}^{\dagger}e_{L}\right)[/itex]

and therefore

$$\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right]=T^{3}$$

but my professor says that this is wrong. I also tried [itex]\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right]=\left[\bar{\chi}_{L}\gamma^{0}\tau^{+}\chi_{L},\bar{\chi}_{L}\gamma^{0}\tau^{-}\chi_{L}\right][/itex] but I got weirded out by the [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] factors and lucked out.

Could someone construct the proof or guide me addressing some of these issues?

Physics news on Phys.org
karkas said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a bit of trouble evaluating the following commutator

$$ \left[T^{+},T^{-}\right] $$

where [itex]T^{+}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\bar{\nu}_{L}\gamma^{0}e_{L}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\nu_{L}^{\dagger}e_{L} [/itex]

and

[itex] T^{-}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\bar{e}_{L}\gamma^{0}\nu_{L}=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:e_{L}^{\dagger}\nu_{L}[/itex]

a step necessary to prove that the [itex]\text{SU}(2)_L[/itex] is a part of the GWS Electroweak gauge symmetry group. Discussing with my professor I've been confused as to how I should proceed with this. Initially, I wrote:

[itex]\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right]=\int_{M}d^{3}x\:d^{3}y\:\left[\nu_{L}^{\dagger}\left(x^{\mu}\right)e_{L}\left(x^{\mu}\right),e_{L}^{\dagger}\left(y^{\mu}\right)\nu_{L}\left(y^{\mu}\right)\right]\delta^{3}\left(x-y\right)[/itex]

according to Paschos (Electroweak Theory) where my something of an unfamiliarity with QFT leaves me wondering exactly how I inserted that Dirac delta, but I see it's necessary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of using the fermionic algebra, the anticommutator [itex]\left\{ a(y),a^{\dagger}(x)\right\} =1 \Rightarrow a(y)a^{\dagger}(x)=\left\{ a(y),a^{\dagger}(x)\right\} -a^{\dagger}(x)a(y)[/itex] along with the Dirac delta should let me reach [itex]\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\int_{M}d^{3}x\:\left(\nu_{L}^{\dagger}\nu_{L}-e_{L}^{\dagger}e_{L}\right)[/itex]

and therefore

$$\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right]=T^{3}$$

but my professor says that this is wrong. I also tried [itex]\left[T^{+},T^{-}\right]=\left[\bar{\chi}_{L}\gamma^{0}\tau^{+}\chi_{L},\bar{\chi}_{L}\gamma^{0}\tau^{-}\chi_{L}\right][/itex] but I got weirded out by the [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] factors and lucked out.

Could someone construct the proof or guide me addressing some of these issues?

Where did you get the delta function from? And you don’t need it because the anticommutation relations produce the delta function for you. Just use the following identity, which relates commutators with anticommutators
[tex]
\begin{split}
[AB,CD] =& A \big\{ C , B \big\} D - C \big\{ A , D \big\} B \\
& + \big\{ A , C \big\} DB - AC \big\{ B , D \big\} .
\end{split}
[/tex]
Now, take [itex]A = \nu^{\dagger}(x)[/itex], [itex]B = e(x)[/itex], [itex]C = e^{\dagger}(y)[/itex] and [itex]D = \nu (y)[/itex]. Then, the only non-zero anticommutators are
[tex]
\big\{ \nu^{\dagger}(x) , \nu (y) \big\} = \big\{ e^{\dagger}(x) , e(y) \big\} = \delta^{3}(x-y) .
[/tex]
So, you get
[tex]
\begin{align*}
[T_{+},T_{-}] &= \int d^{3}x d^{3}y \left( \nu^{\dagger}(x)\nu(y) \delta (x-y) - e^{\dagger}(y) e(x) \delta(x-y) \right) \\
&= \int d^{3}x \left( \nu^{\dagger}(x)\nu(x) - e^{\dagger}(x) e(x) \right) \\
&= 2 \int d^{3}x \left( \nu^{\dagger}(x) , e^{\dagger}(x) \right) \left( \frac{\tau^{3}}{2} \right) \begin{pmatrix} \nu(x) \\ e(x) \end{pmatrix} \\
&= 2 T^{3} .
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I wrote the delta function just plain following Paschos's book, assuming I should be doing it according to some QFT rule. Didn't really make much use of it and pretty much ignored it, but getting the x=y properties along the way.

Now that's more like it samalkhaiat, that's along the lines of what I thought it would be. I missed a factor of 2 in my own work, which I will check again, but I'm all in all glad not to see it get much more complicated. Thanks!

What is the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents?

The commutator of charges of the charged weak currents is a mathematical operation that measures the strength of the interactions between particles that carry the weak force. It is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

How is the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents calculated?

The commutator of charges of the charged weak currents is calculated using the fundamental equations of the Standard Model, specifically the equations for the interaction between the weak force and the particles that carry it. This involves complex mathematical calculations and is usually done using computer simulations.

What is the purpose of calculating the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents?

The purpose of calculating the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents is to better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. This can help scientists make predictions about the behavior of particles and validate the theories of the Standard Model.

What does the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents tell us about the weak force?

The commutator of charges of the charged weak currents provides information about the strength and behavior of the weak force. It can tell us about the rate of decay of particles, their interactions with other particles, and the overall structure of the weak force.

Are there any practical applications of studying the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents?

While the commutator of charges of the charged weak currents is primarily used for theoretical purposes in particle physics, it has also been used in practical applications such as medical imaging and radiation therapy. Understanding the weak force and its interactions can also help in the development of new technologies and materials.