Anti-commutation of Dirac Spinor and Gamma-5

In summary, the conversation discusses the second order scattering amplitude for ##\psi\psi \to \psi\psi## scattering, using an interaction Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams. The main issue at hand is whether the anti-commutation property ##\{\gamma^5, \bar{\psi}\} = 0## is true, and the conversation provides a method for handling this confusion by writing out the indices and using the canonical anticommutator.
Dewgale

Homework Statement

Given an interaction Lagrangian $$ \mathcal{L}_{int} = \lambda \phi \bar{\psi} \gamma^5 \psi,$$ where ##\psi## are Dirac spinors, and ##\phi## is a bosonic pseudoscalar, I've been asked to find the second order scattering amplitude for ##\psi\psi \to \psi\psi## scattering. I've been able to get extremely close, but my main sticking point is whether I can anti-commute ##\gamma^5## and ##\bar{\psi}##. Details are below.

Homework Equations

$$S = T( e^{-i \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt H})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The Hamiltonian density for this Lagrangian density is $$\mathcal{H} = - \mathcal{L} = - \lambda \phi \bar{\psi} \gamma^5 \psi.$$

We therefore have $$ \left< f \right| S \left| i \right> = \left< f \right| T( e^{i \lambda \int d^4x \phi \bar{\psi} \gamma^5 \psi}) \left| i \right>.$$

At second order, this gives
$$\left< f \right| S \left| i \right> \sim \left< f \right|T(\int d^4x \int d^4y \phi(x) \bar{\psi}(x) \gamma^5 \psi(x) \phi(y) \bar{\psi}(y) \gamma^5 \psi(y)) \left| i \right>$$

Let's identify the momenta of the inbound states as ##p,q##, and the outbound states as ##p',q'##. Following Peskin and Schroeder's example for the Yukawa interaction, we can contract the two ##\phi##s to get their Feynman propagator. This leaves us with two cases: where ##\bar{\psi}(x)## and ##\psi(x)## are contracted to the "same" momentum (i.e. q' and q, respectively), and when they are contracted to "opposite" momenta (i.e. p' and q, respectively). These correspond the to t-channel and the u-channel, respectively.

I'm not sure how to write Wick contractions on Physics Forums version of latex, but if we don't write the contractions we have

$$ \left< 0 \right| \hat{a}_{q'} \hat{a}_{p'}\, \bar{\psi}(x) \gamma^5 \psi(x)\, \bar{\psi}(y) \gamma^5 \psi(y) \,\hat{a}_p^\dagger \hat{a}_q^\dagger \left| 0 \right>$$

Recall that the two cases are
(1) ##\bar{\psi}(x)## contracted with ##\hat{a}_{q'}## and ##\psi(x)## contracted with ##\hat{a}_q^\dagger## (the other two are appropriately contracted)
(2) ##\bar{\psi}(x)## contracted with ##\hat{a}_{p'}## and ##\psi(x)## contracted with ##\hat{a}_p^\dagger## (the other two are again appropriately contracted)

We can see that, if we assume ##[\gamma^5, \bar{\psi}]=0## (which isn't true), then the first situation requires two interchanges to "untangle" the contractions, while the second case only requires one. This is the case of the Yukawa interaction, and as each interchange provides a factor of ##(-1)##, it gives the appropriate statistics in that case.

In the second case, no spinors need to cross a ##\gamma^5##, so it's not an issue. However, in the first case, we do need a spinor (##\bar{\psi}(y)##) to cross a ##\gamma^5##.

My question, then, is if ##\{\gamma^5, \bar{\psi}\} = 0## is true? My rational is that
$$
\gamma^5 \bar{\psi} =\gamma^5 \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \stackrel{?}{=} \psi^\dagger \gamma^5 \gamma^0 = - \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \gamma^5 = - \bar{\psi} \gamma^5
$$
If it's not true, then I'm not sure how to figure out the statistics for this. It's pretty obvious the net effect will be to put a ##\gamma^5## between each spinor in the numerator of each term, but the relative minus sign between the t-channel and u-channel is important.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In these situations where you may get confused by strings of products of spinors, it is usually useful to write the indices out. First:
[tex]
\bar{\psi}(x) \gamma^5 \psi(x)\, \bar{\psi}(y) \gamma^5 \psi(y) =
\bar{\psi}_a(x) \gamma^5_{ab} \psi_b(x)\, \bar{\psi}_c(y) \gamma^5_{cd} \psi_d(y)
[/tex]
From here, you may temporarily move the [itex]\gamma^5[/itex] factors out of the expectation value (but keep track of their indices!). Then, order the fermionic degrees of freedom using the canonical anticommutator:
[tex]
\{ \psi_a(x) , \bar{\psi}_b(y) \} = \delta^{d}(x - y) \gamma^0_{ab}
[/tex]
(you can move any factors of [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] out of the expectation value as well). Once you've moved things to their desired place for the given Wick ordering, then you can replace the expectation value with a pair of Dirac propagators, and then realign your propagators/gamma matrices by their indices to get the spinor multiplication which you've generated.

1. What is the concept of anti-commutation in Dirac spinors?

Anti-commutation is a mathematical operation used to calculate the anti-commutator of two quantities. In Dirac spinors, it is used to describe the relationship between fermionic creation and annihilation operators. It states that when two operators anti-commute, their product is equal to the negative of the product when the order of the operators is reversed.

2. How is anti-commutation related to the Gamma-5 matrix in Dirac spinors?

In Dirac spinors, the Gamma-5 matrix is used to represent the chiral symmetry of fermions. It is also used in the anti-commutation relation between fermionic creation and annihilation operators. The Gamma-5 matrix anti-commutes with itself and with all other gamma matrices, except for the identity matrix.

3. What is the significance of anti-commutation in the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes fermions, such as electrons. It includes the anti-commutation relation between fermionic creation and annihilation operators, which ensures that the wave function of fermions remains unchanged under Lorentz transformations, making it a fundamental property of the Dirac equation.

4. How does anti-commutation affect the spin states of fermions in Dirac spinors?

The Gamma-5 matrix, which represents anti-commutation in Dirac spinors, is also related to the chiral symmetry of fermions. This symmetry determines the spin states of fermions, and therefore, anti-commutation plays a crucial role in describing the spin properties of fermions in Dirac spinors.

5. Can anti-commutation be observed experimentally in Dirac spinors?

While anti-commutation is a fundamental property of Dirac spinors, it cannot be directly observed in experiments. However, the predictions and solutions of the Dirac equation, which incorporates the concept of anti-commutation, have been successfully confirmed through various experiments, providing evidence for its validity.