Commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z##...

• I
  • Thread starter Apashanka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, for a given state ##{l,m_l}## where ##l## is the orbital angular momentum quantum number and ##m_l## is its ##z## component, we can find a common set of eigenvectors for both ##L^2## and ##L_x## operators. However, not all eigenvectors of ##L_x## will be eigenvectors of ##L^2##, but there exists a linear combination of degenerate ##L_x## states that can form a common basis for both operators.
Apashanka
TL;DR Summary
##[L^2,L_i]=0##.....where ##i=x,y,z##
For a given state say ##{l,m_l}## where ##l## is the orbital angular momentum quantum no. and ##m_l## be it's ##z## component...a given state ##|l,m_l> ## is an eigenstate of ##L^2## but not an eigenstate of ##L_x##...therefore all eigenstates of ##L_x## are eigenstates of ##L^2## but the reverse is not true... isn't it??

Physics news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:
therefore all eigenstates of ##L_x## are eigenstates of ##L^2## but the reverse is not true... isn't it??
Correct. When you have a degeneracy, an eigenstate corresponding to the degenerate eigenvalue is not necessarily an eigenstate of another operator that commutes. However, it is always possible to find a linear combination of these degenerate eigenstates that will be eigenstates of both operators.

Likes Apashanka
@DrClaude : Sorry -- I must be missing something...

If we are given only that ##L_x \Psi = m \Psi##, how does that imply ##\Psi## is necessarily an eigenstate if ##L^2## ?

Maybe I'm overlooking a tacit assumption?

Likes vanhees71
OP uses ##m_l## to mean as common eigenstate of Lz, usually z is taken, and L^2.

Otherwise, eigenstates of m in general includes states of l=0,1,2,3,... and eigenstates of l in general includes the states of m=−l,−l+1,0,1,2,3,...,l
One can play a role of sub-index of the other.

For an example, s electron and p_z electron are both eigenstates of m=0. We can distinguish them by value of l as sub-index because of the commutation of L^2 and Lz.

Last edited:
strangerep said:

If we are given only that ##L_x \Psi = m \Psi##, how does that imply ##\Psi## is necessarily an eigenstate if ##L^2## ?

For a given ##l## the eigenstates of ##L_x## are some linear combinations of ##|l,m_l>## which are also the eigenstates of ##L^2##...

Likes vanhees71
strangerep said:

OP was looking at states that are eigenstates of ##L^2##.

Of course, this works both ways. eigenstates of ##L_x## are not necessarily eigenstates of ##L^2##, but there exists a linear combinations of the degenerate ##L_x## states that form a common basis for ##L_x## and ##L^2##.

strangerep said:

Starting from ##L_+ = L_x +iL_y## and ##L_- = L_x - iL_y##, we get:
$$L^2 = L_x^2 + L_y^2 + L_z^2 = L_+L_- -\hbar L_z + L_z^2$$
And any eigenstate of ##L_z## is an eigenstate of ##L^2##. And, by symmetry, the same is true for ##L_x## and ##L_y##.

No! There are eigenstates of ##L_z## that are not eigenstates of ##L^2##, e.g., ##|l_1,m \rangle+|l_2,m \rangle## with ##l_1 \neq l_2##.

Likes strangerep, Apashanka and PeroK
vanhees71 said:
No! There are eigenstates of ##L_z## that are not eigenstates of ##L^2##, e.g., ##|l_1,m \rangle+|l_2,m \rangle## with ##l_1 \neq l_2##.
Yes, of course. I didn't think of that.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
And any eigenstate of LzLzL_z is an eigenstate of L2L2L^2. And, by symmetry, the same is true for LxLxL_x and LyLyL_y.

More precise saying is
we can find common set of eigenvectors for the two operators, i.e.,
[tex]L^2|l,m>=l^2|l,m>[/tex]
[tex]L_z|l,m>=m|l,m>[/tex]

May I remind that
[tex]\sum_m c_m|l,m>[/tex] is an eigenvector of L^2 with eigenvalue l^2, but not an eigenvector of L_z anymore ?

Likes vanhees71
strangerep said:
how does that imply \Psi is necessarily an eigenstate of L^2 ?
L^2 is a central element (Casimir) of the universal enveloping algebra, hence in an irreducible unitary representation, it has every vector as eigenvector.

Likes vanhees71, strangerep and PeterDonis
A. Neumaier said:
L^2 is a central element (Casimir) of the universal enveloping algebra, hence in an irreducible unitary representation, it has every vector as eigenvector.
In a specific unirep, yes, but not in general, as Hendrik pointed out in his post #8.

Likes vanhees71
strangerep said:
In a specific unirep, yes, but not in general, as Hendrik pointed out in his post #8.
In every irreducible unitary representation. The rep specified in post #1 is of this form, while that in #8 is not.

We were talking about all eigenvectors of ##L^2## and ##L_z##, and there an eigenvector of ##L_z## is not necessarily also an eigenvector of ##L^2##.

Of course if you restrict yourself to a subspace, which builds an irreducible representation of the rotation group, than it's an eigenspace of ##L^2## to only one eigenvalue ##\hbar^2 l(l+1)## and thus in this subspace all vectors are eigenvectors of ##L^2## with this eigenvalue.

Likes strangerep
A. Neumaier said:
In every irreducible unitary representation. The rep specified in post #1 is of this form, while that in #8 is not.
Yes, of course. But I was trying to clarify Dr Claude's post#2, which omits some of the OP's context. (Anyway, I think this thread has run its course, and then some. <Exit>)

Likes DrClaude and vanhees71

1. What is the commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z##?

The commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## is given by ##[L^2,L_x] = [L^2,L_y] = [L^2,L_z] = 0##. This means that the operators ##L^2## and ##L_x,L_y,L_z## commute with each other.

2. Why is the commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## is important because it represents the uncertainty in measuring the angular momentum of a particle in three dimensions. This uncertainty is described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in two non-commuting observables (such as ##L^2## and ##L_x,L_y,L_z##) cannot be smaller than a certain value.

3. How does the commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## affect the energy levels of a quantum system?

The commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels of a quantum system. It is related to the total angular momentum of the system, which in turn affects the energy levels through the spin-orbit interaction. This interaction is responsible for fine structure in atomic spectra and is essential for understanding the properties of atoms and molecules.

4. Can the commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## be measured experimentally?

Yes, the commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## can be measured experimentally using techniques such as quantum state tomography or quantum state interferometry. These methods allow for the determination of the commutator and other properties of quantum systems with high precision.

5. How does the commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## relate to the classical angular momentum of a system?

The commutator of ##L^2## with ##L_x,L_y,L_z## is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and does not have a direct classical analogue. However, in the classical limit (i.e. when the quantum numbers are large), the commutator can be approximated by the classical Poisson bracket, which describes the classical angular momentum of a system.