Comoving distance and redshift relationship derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of the comoving distance and redshift relation in a physics course notes PDF file. The questioner is confused about the lack of a minus sign in one part of the derivation and asks for an explanation. The other person explains that the minus sign cancels out due to a change of variables and the integration limits being swapped. They also provide a mathematical explanation using the equation for the scale factor in terms of redshift. The questioner thanks them and clarifies their understanding.
DoobleD
Hello PhysicsForum,

There is something I don't get at the end of this course notes PDF file. In the last section, titled "Comoving distance and redshift", which I have copied below, we have a short derivation of the comoving distance and redshift relation.

Almost all is well, the only thing that troubles me is : why is there no minus sign after da has been replaced by -a2dz ?

notes3_dvi.png

I have searched the web and found almost identical derivations in other courses or publications, but I never read the explanation for why the minus sign drops. I have found what seems to be the source material for most of those derivations : this paper from 93 (see section 6.3, "The General Redshift-Distance Relation" on 3rd page). It is referenced quite often by others when this comoving distance and redshift relationship shows up.

Maybe I am just missing some mathematical trick ? This is not super important of course, but it bugs me.

Space news on Phys.org
Could it be because the integration limits have been swapped? (consider what it means when the limits are ##a_e -> a_0##, where e stands for emission, and ##0 -> z##.)

Likes DoobleD
Bandersnatch said:
Could it be because the integration limits have been swapped? (consider what it means when the limits are ##a_e -> a_0##, where e stands for emission, and ##0 -> z##.)
Yes. The change of variables leads to two minus signs which cancel one another: ##da = -a^2 dz##, and reversing the limits of integration.

Likes DoobleD
Thank you !

Thay's what I thought, but then it means that the ae limit corresponds to z when you do the change of variable, and a0 to 0 redshift ? Sounds weird, shouldn't it be the other way around ? Since a0 = a(t0) is the expansion when we receive the redshifted signal.

DoobleD said:
Thank you !

Thay's what I thought, but then it means that the ae limit corresponds to z when you do the change of variable, and a0 to 0 redshift ? Sounds weird, shouldn't it be the other way around ? Since a0 = a(t0) is the expansion when we receive the redshifted signal.
This is probably easiest to see if you look at the equation for the scale factor in terms of the redshift:
[tex]a = {1 \over 1+z}[/tex]

Here note that for ##z=0##, ##a=1##. That's the current scale factor and redshift. A far-away object, at, say, a redshift of ##z=2## is at a scale factor of ##a=1/3##. The integral above over ##da## would integrate from ##1/3## to 1, while the integral over ##dz## integrates from 0 to 2.

Likes DoobleD
DoobleD said:
Thank you !

Think of how far you need to look. Higher z is seen farther than lower z, while lower a is seen farther than high a.

Likes DoobleD
kimbyd said:
This is probably easiest to see if you look at the equation for the scale factor in terms of the redshift:
a=11+za=11+z​
a = {1 \over 1+z}

Here note that for z=0z=0z=0, a=1a=1a=1. That's the current scale factor and redshift. A far-away object, at, say, a redshift of z=2z=2z=2 is at a scale factor of a=1/3a=1/3a=1/3. The integral above over dadada would integrate from 1/31/31/3 to 1, while the integral over dzdzdz integrates from 0 to 2.

Bandersnatch said:
Think of how far you need to look. Higher z is seen farther than lower z, while lower a is seen farther than high a.

Makes sense now. Thank you !

Related to Comoving distance and redshift relationship derivation

1. What is comoving distance?

Comoving distance is a measure of the distance between two objects in the universe, taking into account the expansion of the universe over time. It is the distance that objects would have if they were not moving with the expansion of the universe.

2. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which the light from an object appears to shift towards longer wavelengths, making it appear more red. It is caused by the expansion of the universe, which stretches the wavelengths of light as it travels through space.

3. How are comoving distance and redshift related?

The relationship between comoving distance and redshift is described by Hubble's law. This law states that the farther away an object is, the faster it appears to be moving away from us. This is due to the expansion of the universe, and the amount of redshift can be used to calculate the comoving distance to an object.

4. How is the derivation of the comoving distance and redshift relationship calculated?

The derivation of the comoving distance and redshift relationship involves using the Hubble parameter, which describes the rate of expansion of the universe, and the cosmological principle, which states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic. By combining these principles, a mathematical formula can be derived to calculate the comoving distance based on the observed redshift of an object.

5. Why is the comoving distance and redshift relationship important in astronomy?

The comoving distance and redshift relationship is important in astronomy because it allows us to understand the expansion of the universe and the distances between objects in the universe. It also provides a way to measure the age of the universe and to study the evolution of galaxies over time. Additionally, it is a key tool in determining the properties of dark energy, which is believed to be the force driving the expansion of the universe.