Compact Logic Gate Options for Efficient Circuit Design

In summary, The conversation is about finding logic gates in 8pin dip or less chips for convenient use in designs. The suggestion is to use the 74AHC1Gxx logic gates which are singles and available in the market. There are also discussions about building logic gates with discrete components, such as transistors and diodes, which can be a good learning experience but may result in slow gates due to the size and capacitance of the components. The 555 chip is also mentioned as a cheap alternative for logic signal conditioning.
Tesladude
Hi I am learning about logic gates and am having some fun with them but somtimes in my designs I only have use for maybe 1 or 2 gates, this is not convenient sense the chips I use have 4 or 6 gates in one chip, does anyone know where I can find NAND, AND, and inverter gates in 8pin dip or less chips? so I could have 2 and gates or 3 invertes in just an 8pin chip?

Engineering news on Phys.org
8 pin restriction will be difficult, standard was 14 or 16.

The venerable 555 can do logic and is cheap in 8 pin. Tie TRIG and THRESH together and it's an inverter with hysteresis - great for logic signal conditioning. And it's good practice for you learning logic, add diodes to build your desired gates.

does this help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400_series_integrated_circuits

Im not aware of any chips with only 1 or 2 gates in them, it doesn't matter if the chips you are using
have more gates than you need you just don't use the other ones. But one thing you may not know
is that you should tie the unused inputs to the GND or +5V rail via a 1k resistor. This is for stability
reasons. It stops erratic behaviour of the gates you are using

Your other choice, if you are only wanting a couple of gates is to experiment with diodes and transistors
and build gates out of discrete components. It will REALLY teach you about how a gate operates

here's an AND gate...

attachment.php?attachmentid=60694&stc=1&d=1375696885.gif

do some googling for other examples :)

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• AND Gate using transistors.gif
    AND Gate using transistors.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 605
Tesladude said:
Hi I am learning about logic gates and am having some fun with them but somtimes in my designs I only have use for maybe 1 or 2 gates, this is not convenient sense the chips I use have 4 or 6 gates in one chip, does anyone know where I can find NAND, AND, and inverter gates in 8pin dip or less chips? so I could have 2 and gates or 3 invertes in just an 8pin chip?

74AHC1Gxx logic gates are singles: http://ics.nxp.com/products/ahc/1g/

:smile:

Ya I thought of a similar npn AND gate circuit like that one but what I really need is a simple inverter, any ideas?

Keep in mind that if you build your logic gates with discrete transistors, they will be *very slow* gates. Quiz Question -- Why?

Ah yes. Leave it to good ol' berkeman to turn it into a quiz. LOL You should have been a teacher. I suspect you have a talent for it. Keep it up.

Tesladude said:
Ya I thought of a similar npn AND gate circuit like that one but what I really need is a simple inverter, any ideas?

Sure. Take the AND gate from above, remove the top NPN, add a resistor in the collector terminal of the remaining NPN and move the output from the emitter of the bottom NPN into its collector. How would you size the resistor between the collector of the NPN and the power supply?

Averagesupernova said:
Ah yes. Leave it to good ol' berkeman to turn it into a quiz. LOL You should have been a teacher. I suspect you have a talent for it. Keep it up.

:smile:

berkeman said:
Keep in mind that if you build your logic gates with discrete transistors, they will be *very slow* gates. Quiz Question -- Why?

I think I know why ( not sure) been waiting for tesladude to respond before I spoke

Dave

Yeah, let's let the young'uns take a shot at it. I was surprised when I first encountered it, but the explanation makes sense.

berkeman said:

Perhaps it is the physical size of the transistors. Consequentially there will exist a larger depletion region between the junctions in the transistors (assuming TTL logic, but DTL and RTL will have a similar issue). Is it that the PN junctions may take longer to overcome and begin conducting as compared to their physically smaller counterparts?

Last edited:
berkeman said:

"slow" is relative. slow compared to 74xx TTL? slow compared to what?

because i think that "properly biased" (like the old ECL logic was), a discrete transistor will turn on and off as fast as a counterpart that lives on a chip.

the distances between devices eventually come up regarding speed, but i don't think we're there regarding this application. would an inverter made out of a single discrete transistor be all that much slower than an inverter that is 1/6th of a 74LS06?

rbj said:
"slow" is relative. slow compared to 74xx TTL? slow compared to what?

because i think that "properly biased" (like the old ECL logic was), a discrete transistor will turn on and off as fast as a counterpart that lives on a chip.

the distances between devices eventually come up regarding speed, but i don't think we're there regarding this application. would an inverter made out of a single discrete transistor be all that much slower than an inverter that is 1/6th of a 74LS06?

No, it's *really* slow. :smile:

sherrellbc said:
Perhaps it is the physical size of the transistors. Consequentially there will exist a larger depletion region between the junctions in the transistors (assuming TTL logic, but DTL and RTL will have a similar issue). Is it that the PN junctions may take longer to overcome and begin conducting as compared to their physically smaller counterparts?

It does have to do with the size of the transistors, specifically the capacitances...

berkeman said:
It does have to do with the size of the transistors, specifically the capacitances...

you have interelectrode and junction capacitance with chip transistors. and there is some capacitance with the substrate. in fact, I've always thought that monolithic analog crapped out at lower frequencies than discrete analog because of these parasitic capacitance. how is it that MOS transistors on chips are so much faster than a sufficiently biased discrete transistor? is it purely the dimensions of the device?

Yeah, the typical logic gate has a number of transistors, but their input capacitances are small compared to each single packaged transistor's input capacitance. In many cases it's the Miller capacitance, which makes speed problems even worse.

1. What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic components that perform logical operations on one or more binary inputs to produce a single binary output. They are the building blocks of digital circuits and are used to process and manipulate binary data.

2. How many types of logic gates are there?

There are seven basic types of logic gates: AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR. Each type has a specific function and can be combined to create more complex logic circuits.

3. How do logic gates work?

Logic gates work by following a set of predefined rules and using Boolean algebra to perform logical operations. The inputs and outputs of logic gates are represented by binary values (0 and 1) and the gates use these values to determine the output based on their specific function.

4. What are some real-world applications of logic gates?

Logic gates are used in a wide range of electronics and digital systems, such as computers, calculators, smartphones, and even traffic lights. They are also used in various industrial and manufacturing processes, as well as in automotive and aerospace engineering.

5. How can I learn more about logic gates?

To learn more about logic gates, you can read books or online tutorials on digital electronics and Boolean algebra. You can also experiment with building simple logic circuits using breadboards and electronic components. Additionally, enrolling in a course or program in electrical engineering or computer science can provide a deeper understanding of logic gates and their applications.