Compare 2 mechanical shock scenarios with different magnitude and time

In summary, when comparing two different shock scenarios with different magnitudes and times, it is important to consider the peak amplitude and frequency components of the shock waveform, as well as the resonant frequency of the system being tested. While there may not be a standard way to compare two scenarios, an energy metric such as power may provide a reasonable estimate. However, it is important to note that the comparison may vary depending on the mass and rigidity of the materials involved in the shock contact.
Mike J
For example, How does one compare 100 g's for 6 milliseconds to 45 g's for 11 milliseconds. These are two different shock scenarios with different magnitudes and times, so how can I compare them? If I have something that is shock rated at 100 g's for 6 ms does this imply that it will withstand 45 g's for 11 ms?

I have tried finding a "shock equivalence" chart or a metric for comparing two shock scenarios but I haven't found anything.

I was thinking it may depend on the mass of the equipment that is being shock rated. We have:

F=ma
v=at
Power, P = Fv

An energy metric like power may give me a reasonable estimate to compare, but I am just guessing here. Is there a standard way to compare two scenarios? A chart or equation would be nice..

Thank you for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mike J said:
If I have something that is shock rated at 100 g's for 6 ms does this imply that it will withstand 45 g's for 11 ms?
I would think it should be okay. The higher shock in the shorter time is usually more severe. The shocks are measured with accelerometers and the shock curves are usually tuned (with damping cloths or whatever) to be half-sine in shape:

http://vibrationacoustics.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/data/journals/jvacek/28916/061019_1_1.jpeg
061019_1_1.jpe

I suppose that some systems may have trouble with the extra energy in a wider shock pulse, but in my experience with shock and vibe testing of electronic assemblies, it's usually the peak amplitude of the shock that does the damage...

berkeman said:
I would think it should be okay. The higher shock in the shorter time is usually more severe. The shocks are measured with accelerometers and the shock curves are usually tuned (with damping cloths or whatever) to be half-sine in shape:

http://vibrationacoustics.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/data/journals/jvacek/28916/061019_1_1.jpeg
View attachment 194719
Would the shock magnitude - the 100 g's - correspond to the peak value or the RMS value of the sine wave?

This raises an issue I have not previously considered of the actual shock profile vs the effective profile vs the rigidity of materials involved in the shock contact, i.e. will high modulus material collisions tend to be more of a saw tooth wave vs low modulus materials resulting in more of a sine wave effect.

Mike J said:
Would the shock magnitude - the 100 g's - correspond to the peak value or the RMS value of the sine wave?
It is my understanding that the number is the peak of the half-sine shock waveform (at least in mechanical shock testing of assemblies at our local test labs). The waveform is directly off of the accelerometer that is attached to the falling assembly.

hi,
if we look at a half sine shock and try to integrate it we would get a value of velocity that can be observed like energy.
so same shock amplitude (A) let's say, 10g@1ms and 10g@100 at different integration times will have different energy.
I think the greater the integration time the more area you get that is more energy from the ∫f(A)dt ...
hope that helps.

berkeman said:
It is my understanding that the number is the peak of the half-sine shock waveform (at least in mechanical shock testing of assemblies at our local test labs). The waveform is directly off of the accelerometer that is attached to the falling assembly.

can it be that from both 10g@1ms and 10g@100ms we would get same amplitude of equivalent force?

The area under the shock curve is the total energy, so for saw tooth shock 10g 20 msec. is equal to 20g 10 msec. (have the same energy). However the force if not equal. I'm not sure it is possible to compare two different shocks. I'll be happy if I wrong.

Not sure how these half-a-decade old threads get revived from the grave like this...

Total energy doesn't really tell you much (what if it were 1g for 200ms? 0.1g for 2s?). Shocks have a frequency component which must be compared to the resonances of the system being tested to understand the severity of response.

1. How do the magnitudes of the two mechanical shock scenarios affect the outcome?

The magnitude of a mechanical shock refers to the intensity or strength of the force applied. In general, the higher the magnitude of the force, the greater the impact and potential damage. Therefore, in our comparison of two mechanical shock scenarios, the one with a higher magnitude will likely have a more significant effect on the object or system being shocked.

2. What role does time play in the comparison of these two mechanical shock scenarios?

The time aspect of a mechanical shock scenario refers to how long the force is applied. In some cases, a shorter duration of force may have a more significant effect than a longer duration. This is because a short but intense shock can cause sudden and severe damage, while a longer but less intense shock may give the object or system time to adjust and lessen the impact. Therefore, the time factor is critical to consider in comparing two mechanical shock scenarios.

3. How do different magnitudes and times of mechanical shock affect different types of materials?

The impact of mechanical shock can vary depending on the type of material being shocked. Different materials have different strengths and levels of resistance to force, so the same magnitude and time of shock may have varying effects. For example, a strong metal may be able to withstand a high magnitude and longer duration of shock, while a fragile glass may shatter with just a fraction of that force. Therefore, understanding the material being shocked is essential in comparing two mechanical shock scenarios.

4. How can the results of these two mechanical shock scenarios be measured and compared?

Measuring and comparing the results of two mechanical shock scenarios can be done through various methods, such as analyzing the physical changes in the object or system, conducting simulations, or using specialized equipment. The results can then be compared by looking at the extent of damage, changes in performance, or other metrics relevant to the specific scenario.

5. What are the potential safety risks associated with these two mechanical shock scenarios?

Mechanical shock can pose significant safety risks, especially in industrial or engineering settings. In comparing two scenarios, it is essential to consider the potential hazards and take necessary precautions to ensure the safety of individuals and the surrounding environment. These risks may include structural damage, equipment failure, or injury to personnel, among others.