Comparing densities of three bodies floating to different depths

In summary, the problem involves three bodies, a, b, and c, which have different dimensions and are submerged to the same depth. By arranging the bodies and using the formula for weight and volume, it is determined that the densities of the bodies are in the order of a > c > b. The width of the blocks can be ignored as it does not affect the computations. The problem is more of a test of understanding and intuition rather than mathematical calculations.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Rank in order, from largest to smallest, the ##\mathbf{densities}## of blocks a, b and c shown in figure below. Explain your reasoning.
Relevant Equations
Law of floatation : "The weight (or mass) of a floating body is equal to the weight (or mass) of the liquid displaced : ##w_B = \Delta w_L##
1580990693798.png

The dimensions of the bodies given in the problem are visual. Clearly bodies a and b are cubical whereas c is not. One side of b is twice the side of a. Both a and b are submerged to the same depth but what is the depth of submersion of c? Arranging bodies (by copying and pasting a on b and c, as can be done using imaging programs), I paste the following diagram that show the depths and sides of the bodies shown. For simplicity, let us ignore the third dimension of the bodies or assume them to be equal, equivalently.

1580991659554.png

Please note the case for c . Also we have ##y < x##.

Using ##w_{\text{body}} = \Delta w_L## and dropping the (constant) density of the liquid, we have for the weights of the three bodies :

##w_a = xy,\; w_b = 2xy,\; w_c = 2xy##.

As for the volumes of the three bodies,

##v_a = x^2,\; v_b = 4x^2,\; v_c = x(2x+y)##.

Dividing the first by the second and supressing the acceleration due to gravity ##g## from each, we get the densities of the three bodies,

##\rho_a = \frac{y}{x}, \; \rho_b = \frac{y}{2x}, \rho_c = \frac{2y}{2x+y}##.

Clearly, ##\boxed{\rho_b < \rho_a}##.

Using simple algebra and remembering that ##y<x## yields the solution :

##\large{\boxed{\mathbf{\rho_a > \rho_c > \rho_b}}}##Of course I'd like to know if I am right. Even if I am, is there an easier and a more conceptual way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
For simplicity, let us ignore the third dimension of the bodies or assume them to be equal, equivalently.
You can also ignore the width of the blocks as it is irrelevant. Only the percentage of each block that is submerged is going to matter for the computations, which also means that you do not need to assume equal extension in the third dimension either.

"You can also ignore the width of the blocks as it is irrelevant. Only the percentage of each block that is submerged is going to matter for the computations".

Thank you, a point I hadn't realized. Though you might know the following well, I must carry it out if only to convince myself that the width of the block is irrelevant, only its depth of submersion relative to its height.

Let ##l## be the length and ##b## the width of the block.

Weight of the block : ##w_B = \rho_B lb g## and the weight of liquid displaced ##\Delta w_L = \rho_L l' b g##, where ##l'## is the depth of immersion into liquid.

The two are equal due to the law of floatation.

Hence ##\rho_B l = \rho_L l' \Rightarrow \frac{l'}{l} \propto \rho_B## as the density of the liquid is a given.

Hence we only need to see the fraction (or percentage) ##\frac{l'}{l}## in my problem above for the three bodies.

Clearly we see that : ##\rho_a > \rho_c > \rho_c##

Just my opinion, but I don't think anyone (setting the question) would have intended you to do any maths here. It looks more to test understanding/ intuition.

Likes hmmm27, jbriggs444 and Orodruin
brotherbobby said:
floatation
It's "flotation".

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a certain volume of a substance. It is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How do you calculate density?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The formula is density = mass/volume.

3. What is the purpose of comparing densities of three bodies?

Comparing densities of three bodies can help determine the relative densities of each body and potentially identify the type of material each body is made of.

4. How do you conduct an experiment to compare densities of three bodies floating to different depths?

An experiment to compare densities of three bodies floating to different depths would involve placing the three bodies in a liquid with a known density and observing how far each body sinks. The body that sinks the least has the lowest density, while the body that sinks the most has the highest density.

5. What are some potential sources of error in comparing densities of three bodies?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include temperature changes, inaccuracies in measuring the volume of each body, and variations in the density of the liquid used. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate results.