Comparing Flat vs Banked Road Maneuverability

• Thread starter mutineer123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat
In summary: you know...the way it works in real life. its a bit more complicated than that, but thats basically what it comes down to.
mutineer123
I was wondering, if I were to drive in a flat road , and then on a banked road(steep), in a circular motion, which one would be more difficult to manoeuvre over. I thought of generalising the two, but obviously it won't work because in the flat road, it is the frictional force that acts as the centripetal force(while the normal force cancels the weight), while in the banked road, the horizontal component of the normal force acts as the centripetal force(does anyone what the friction does then?).
But anyhow, to measure the 'manoevurabilty', I was thinking of using the velocity, ( more of it, the harder it is to manoeuvre),and so would have used force=mv^2/r, but there was a flaw because like I said the force acting as centripetal are different in each case. So now I am thinking the 'ease with which the car turns in each case' as a measure of difficulty in manoeuvring. This depends on the magnitude of the centripetal force in each case. So i again used force=mv^2/r, this time keeping v constant. So I figured, out that it takes more force in the banked surface than in the flat, to maintain the same speed. Is this a good way to figure it out? or is there a better way? This is not really anything important, and purely a discussive question. I was just thinking bout it, and thought what would by fellow physicsforumers say about it...:)
If you guys do have a better way, let's discuss that! and btw I am an A level student and just started centripetal forces. So I know very little as of now.

Just so we stay on the same page. I took random variables, which were m of car=5kg, radius=2m, elevation of banked road=30 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org

I failed to grab your concept of 'manoeuvrability'. Could you give some more detail ?
In real life, I think curves are rated by the maximum speed you can have your car traveling without superceding certain limits in lateral acceleration or exceeding frictional forces or cabin sway or tumbling over or whatever. Anything like this ?

Friction stills helps provide centripetal force in the banked case. It's just that you need less of it, because there is a component of your weight that is parallel to the incline, that helps you out.

So one way to think about it is that the amount of available mv^2 / r has gone up in the banked case, allowing you to either take a tighter curve, or to take the same curve more quickly.

mutineer123 said:
the 'ease with which the car turns in each case' as a measure of difficulty in manoeuvring. This depends on the magnitude of the centripetal force in each case. So i again used force=mv^2/r, this time keeping v constant. So I figured, out that it takes more force in the banked surface than in the flat, to maintain the same speed.
Guessing here, but I think you're saying that steering becomes more difficult when there's a large lateral frictional force. The size of that force is whatever's needed to make the total with gravity and normal force equal to the centripetal force. With a bank angle of θ, circle radius r, speed v: F = m(v2 cos(θ)/r - g sin(θ)). Note that this will be negative if the bank is steeper than ideal for the speed.

cepheid said:
Friction stills helps provide centripetal force in the banked case. It's just that you need less of it, because there is a component of your weight that is parallel to the incline, that helps you out.

So one way to think about it is that the amount of available mv^2 / r has gone up in the banked case, allowing you to either take a tighter curve, or to take the same curve more quickly.

Yes, this is the type of answers, I am loooking for. Theyre easy to understand, and is in the same line of my thinking! But i have a question
'because there is a component of your weight that is parallel to the incline, that helps you out.'
How exactly does Mg(weight) have a component parallel to the incline. I posted a free body diagram, and correct me if I am wrong. Isn't the weight canceled by the Y component of the normal force (N) ?, so how does the weight have a component, let alone one that is parallel to the slope.
heres the diagram - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xct950&s=6

NdotA said:
I failed to grab your concept of 'manoeuvrability'. Could you give some more detail ?
In real life, I think curves are rated by the maximum speed you can have your car traveling without superceding certain limits in lateral acceleration or exceeding frictional forces or cabin sway or tumbling over or whatever. Anything like this ?
Well its just a rough variable, think of you driving in a constant circular motion. Once in a flat road and then in a banked road. If you were to keep all variables the same, velocity, road surface, tyre grip etc which terrain would you find easier to maintain the circular motion?

mutineer123 said:
Yes, this is the type of answers, I am loooking for. Theyre easy to understand, and is in the same line of my thinking! But i have a question
'because there is a component of your weight that is parallel to the incline, that helps you out.'
How exactly does Mg(weight) have a component parallel to the incline. I posted a free body diagram, and correct me if I am wrong. Isn't the weight canceled by the Y component of the normal force (N) ?, so how does the weight have a component, let alone one that is parallel to the slope.
heres the diagram - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xct950&s=6

That diagram is not correct. The y-component of N does not fully cancel mg.

To see why, try doing this instead: you can resolve mg into components that are parallel to and perpendicular to the incline.

The normal force can only act perpendicular to the incline.

Since there is no acceleration perpendicular to the incline, the net force in this direction must be 0 (Newton's second law). Therefore, the sum of the forces in the "perpendicular to the incline" direction must be zero. This tells you that N is equal (in magnitude) to the perpendicular component of the weight.

There is a net acceleration (and hence a net force) *parallel* to the incline (i.e. in the "down the hill" direction). This is equal to the parallel component of the weight, which is not balanced (cancelled) by anything.

Related to Comparing Flat vs Banked Road Maneuverability

1. What is the difference between a flat and banked road in terms of maneuverability?

The main difference between a flat and banked road in terms of maneuverability is the angle of the road's surface. A flat road has a 0 degree angle, while a banked road has a sloped surface. This slope allows for different forces to act on a vehicle, affecting its ability to turn and maintain stability.

2. Which type of road is more maneuverable for vehicles?

Generally, a banked road is more maneuverable for vehicles compared to a flat road. The slope of a banked road helps to create a centripetal force that assists in turning the vehicle. This allows for higher speeds and tighter turns, making it more maneuverable.

3. How does the weight of a vehicle affect maneuverability on a flat vs banked road?

The weight of a vehicle can greatly affect its maneuverability on both flat and banked roads. On a flat road, a heavier vehicle will have a harder time turning and may require more force to change direction. On a banked road, the weight of the vehicle can help to create a greater centripetal force, making it easier to turn and maintain stability.

4. Are there any safety concerns with banked roads compared to flat roads?

Banked roads can pose some safety concerns compared to flat roads. The slope of a banked road can create a higher risk of rollovers for vehicles with a higher center of gravity. Additionally, if the slope of the banked road is not properly designed or maintained, it can cause vehicles to lose control and potentially lead to accidents.

5. How do weather conditions affect maneuverability on flat and banked roads?

Weather conditions, such as rain or snow, can greatly impact maneuverability on both flat and banked roads. On a flat road, wet or icy conditions can reduce the amount of friction between the tires and the road, making it harder for a vehicle to turn and maintain stability. On a banked road, these conditions can also reduce the effectiveness of the slope and decrease maneuverability. It is important for drivers to adjust their speed and be cautious in poor weather conditions on both types of roads.