Comparing Seed Germination Proportions: Z-Test

• Thread starter Maybe_Memorie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seed
In summary, the conversation discusses carrying out a Z-test to compare the proportions of seeds germinating for two columns, 1B and 1G. The formula used for the Z-test is incorrect and should be adjusted to use p1 = 386/791 and p2 = 180/521. Additionally, an alternative formula from stattrek.com may be used to avoid values beyond the Z-table.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

--------------------IG------IB-----
Non-Germinated ---405-----341
Germinated --------386-----180

Carry out the Z-test to compare the proportions of seeds germinating for the IG and IB columns and interpret the result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm assuming it's something because my answer is too big for the Z-table

Z = (p1-p2)/root([(p1(1-p1)/n1)+[(p2(1-p2)/n2)

P1 = 386/791
P2 = 341/521

Then throw everything into the Z formula. What's wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice?

Maybe_Memorie said:

Homework Statement

--------------------IG------IB-----
Non-Germinated ---405-----341
Germinated --------386-----180

Carry out the Z-test to compare the proportions of seeds germinating for the IG and IB columns and interpret the result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm assuming it's something because my answer is too big for the Z-table

Z = (p1-p2)/root([(p1(1-p1)/n1)+[(p2(1-p2)/n2)

P1 = 386/791
P2 = 341/521

Then throw everything into the Z formula. What's wrong with this?

Well, for one thing, you should use p1 = 386/791 and p2 = 180/521, because you want to compare similar proportions for columns 1B and 1G.

For z-values beyond the table you can use a simple asymptotic approximation: for Z a standard normal random variable we have Pr{Z > z} ~ exp(-z^2/2)/[z*sqrt(2*Pi)] for large z. For example, for z = 3 the exact value (to two decimal places) is Pr(Z > 3} = 1.35e-3 while the approximation is 1.48e-2, while for z = 4 the exact value is 3.17e-5 and the approximation is 3.35e-5. There are improved simple approximations available. For example, the approximation P{Z . z} ~ (1/z - 1/z^3)*exp(-z^2/2)/sqrt(2*Pi) gives much better accuracy.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Well, for one thing, you should use p1 = 386/791 and p2 = 180/521, because you want to compare similar proportions for columns 1B and 1G.

For z-values beyond the table you can use a simple asymptotic approximation: for Z a standard normal random variable we have Pr{Z > z} ~ exp(-z^2/2)/[z*sqrt(2*Pi)] for large z. For example, for z = 3 the exact value (to two decimal places) is Pr(Z > 3} = 1.35e-3 while the approximation is 1.48e-2, while for z = 4 the exact value is 3.17e-5 and the approximation is 3.35e-5. There are improved simple approximations available. For example, the approximation P{Z . z} ~ (1/z - 1/z^3)*exp(-z^2/2)/sqrt(2*Pi) gives much better accuracy.

RGV

Ah, I see the mistake.

Our professor says we answers shouldn't go beyond the table, so is my formula incorrect, should I use the formula from here instead?
http://stattrek.com/ap-statistics-4/test-difference-proportion.aspx

1. What is a Z-test and how is it used in comparing seed germination proportions?

A Z-test is a statistical test used to determine whether there is a significant difference between two proportions. In this case, it is used to compare the proportion of seeds that have germinated in two different groups, such as a control group and an experimental group.

2. Why is it important to compare seed germination proportions?

Comparing seed germination proportions allows scientists to determine whether there is a significant difference in the effectiveness of different treatments or environmental conditions on seed germination. This information can be used to improve agricultural practices or understand the impact of environmental factors on plant growth.

3. How do you calculate the Z-test for comparing seed germination proportions?

The Z-test formula for comparing two proportions is: Z = (p1 - p2) / √(pooled proportion * (1 - pooled proportion) * (1/n1 + 1/n2)), where p1 and p2 are the proportions of germinated seeds in each group and n1 and n2 are the sample sizes. The pooled proportion is calculated by adding the total number of germinated seeds in both groups and dividing by the total sample size.

4. What is considered a significant difference in seed germination proportions?

A significant difference in seed germination proportions means that the difference between the two proportions is unlikely to have occurred by chance. This is usually determined by calculating a p-value, which represents the probability of obtaining the observed difference (or a more extreme difference) if there is no true difference between the two proportions. A p-value of less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Z-test for comparing seed germination proportions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Z-test for comparing seed germination proportions. One major limitation is that it assumes that the data follows a normal distribution. Additionally, the Z-test can only be used for comparing two proportions and is not suitable for comparing three or more groups. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the Z-test before using it in a study.