Aggregated Likert scale summary data - z-test?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Scale
In summary, the conversation is about using summarized Likert scale data from a report to conduct comparison analysis. The person does not have the raw data and is considering using a z test for proportions. They provide a link to an online calculator and mention an article discussing the use of both parametric and non-parametric tests.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

1. Homework Statement

I have some summarized Likert scale data from a report and my co-workers want to know what kind of comparison analysis we could do with it. I don't have the raw data.
Most of the questions are on a 7-point scale (Strongly disagree, disagree, slightly disagree, neither agree nor disagree, slightly agree, agree, strongly agree).
I have the number of responders for each group and I know the number of responders in each category. The report groups the responders into number and percentage who chose one of the 3 "agree" categories. It looks similar to my attachment.

Homework Equations

I'm wondering if I can use a z test for proportions to compare the groups and see if they are significantly different. I'm attaching a sample that looks similar to the data I have to work with.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking at an online calculator here: http://www.socscistatistics.com/tests/ztest/Default2.aspx
Thanks!

Attachments

• summarizedlikert.xlsx
    10.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
http://blog.minitab.com/blog/advent...em-data-two-sample-t-test-versus-mann-whitney

I thought that the parametric test versus non-parametric test decision was a done deal. I guess not. This article (for minitab) discusses the use of both and asserts either one is okay. Apparently you can setup, run analysis, and see which statistical methodology is more likely to be reliable. Avoiding Type I error, for example.. Meaning the door can swing both ways depending on the data set.

Welcome back!

What is an aggregated Likert scale summary data?

An aggregated Likert scale summary data is a type of data analysis method used to summarize and interpret the results of a survey or questionnaire that uses Likert scale questions. This method involves aggregating the responses from each Likert scale question to create an overall score or summary measure.

What is a z-test?

A z-test is a statistical test that is used to determine whether the means of two populations are different from each other. This test is particularly useful for analyzing Likert scale data, as it allows researchers to compare the means of two groups or variables to determine if there is a significant difference between them.

Why is a z-test commonly used for aggregated Likert scale summary data?

A z-test is commonly used for aggregated Likert scale summary data because it is a quick and simple way to analyze the data and determine if there is a significant difference between two groups. It also allows for easy comparison between multiple groups or variables, which is often necessary when summarizing Likert scale data.

What are the assumptions for conducting a z-test on aggregated Likert scale summary data?

The assumptions for conducting a z-test on aggregated Likert scale summary data include a normal distribution of the data, independence of observations, and equal variances between the two groups being compared. It is important to check these assumptions before conducting the test to ensure accurate and reliable results.

How do you interpret the results of a z-test on aggregated Likert scale summary data?

The results of a z-test on aggregated Likert scale summary data can be interpreted by comparing the calculated z-score to the critical value from a z-table. If the calculated z-score is greater than the critical value, this indicates a significant difference between the two groups being compared. If the calculated z-score is less than the critical value, there is not a significant difference between the groups.