Comparison for Experimental vs Literature values for alumnium

In summary, the conversation discusses a student who performed a three point bend test and a tensile test on as-rolled aluminum and compared the properties to literature values found on a CES software. However, there were significant differences, particularly in the 0.2% proof of stress. The possible reasons for these differences are mentioned, including the use of different alloys and heat treatments between the experiment and literature search. The student also mentions the possibility of misreading and other inaccuracies in the experiment.
uzman1243

Homework Statement

I did a 'three point bend test' and a 'tensile test' on the material as-rolled Aluminium.

I then messured and calculated the proepties of the metal and compared it with the literature values found on a CES software. Unfortunately, I can find significant differences for the following:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68230&stc=1&d=1396422257.png

Can you give me some of the possible reasons for the difference between the experimental and literature, especially for the 0.2% proof of stress?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,327
Physics news on Phys.org
Aluminum comes in a variety of different alloys and heat treatments. I hope you have compared like with like, in terms of the material used in the experiment versus the material properties obtained from the literature search.

SteamKing said:
Aluminum comes in a variety of different alloys and heat treatments. I hope you have compared like with like, in terms of the material used in the experiment versus the material properties obtained from the literature search.

Exact material. Obviously the experiment had some sort of misreading and other inaccuracies. I want to know these reasons and how it affects the properties

What is the purpose of comparing experimental and literature values for aluminum?

The purpose of this comparison is to determine the accuracy and reliability of experimental data by comparing it to previously established values found in literature. This can help identify any discrepancies or errors in the experimental procedure or equipment.

What factors can affect the difference between experimental and literature values for aluminum?

There are several factors that can contribute to the difference between experimental and literature values for aluminum. These include variations in experimental technique, sample purity, and environmental conditions such as temperature and pressure.

How can the experimental and literature values for aluminum be compared?

The experimental and literature values for aluminum can be compared by calculating the percent error. This is done by taking the absolute value of the difference between the two values, dividing it by the literature value, and multiplying by 100%. A lower percent error indicates a closer agreement between the two values.

Why is it important to have accurate experimental values for aluminum?

Having accurate experimental values for aluminum is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures the validity and credibility of scientific research. Additionally, accurate values are necessary for the development of new technologies and materials that use aluminum. It also aids in the understanding and prediction of the properties and behavior of aluminum in different environments.

What are some potential sources of error in experimental values for aluminum?

Some potential sources of error in experimental values for aluminum include human error, instrument limitations, and systematic errors in the experimental procedure. It is important for scientists to carefully control and account for these factors to minimize their impact on the accuracy of their results.