Competing in the International Physics Olympiad

In summary, the physics Olympiad is a competition that college students and professionals take part in. This sophomore is taking a course to prepare for the competition, and is struggling to keep up with the pace of the class. He recommends using resources such as lecture notes, a college physics textbook, and the internet.
DeltaForce
As I stated in the title, I'm trying to compete at the physics Olympiad and hopefully walk away with a decent ranking. I am currently a sophomore at a mediocre high school; I'm taking this Olympiad physics class for preparation. The course is once a week for 3 hours that is covering algebra-based physics. My math level is at pre-calculus whereas my peers in that class are 8th graders that are already learning about calculus. This overwhelms me because if that's the type of people I'm up against at the Olympiad, I'm so screwed. The pacing of the lectures isn't helping either. We would do one chapter per two weeks (which is 6 hours), and I would struggle to keep up (like the teacher would be talking, and I would doze off because I don't understand anything). All the while my peers are going through example problems after example problems with relative ease. After I get home, I would spend an absurd amount of time doing physics homework and studying for a test, often requiring me to use the internet to get answers. This worries me heavily as I will have to do problems independently at the Olympiad. Even after studying for a long time, when tested on, I'd usually score around 7/12. This disappoints me.

I'm seeking for ways so that I can boost my physics learning to the point that I can keep up with the pacing of the class and ACTUALLY learn. So far we've covered Kinematics, Projectile motion, laws of motion and their application, energy, momentum, and collision. I am currently studying rotational motion and the laws of gravity. I do have to admit that there are gaps in my understanding of those topics due to the pacing of how I study.

I have so many other details of my endeavor, but I cannot put them into this thread cohesively. However, feel free to ask me questions.

The resources I have for physics right now are lecture notes, college physics textbook, and the internet.

Here's a list of question that I compiled.

What resources are recommended for people like me?

What's a good routine for studying this subject given my circumstances?

How should I review for the stuff my class already covered? (I really need a deeper understanding of the topics besides math formulas)

How do I dominate over my peers? Is there hope for me?

P.S sorry for this lengthy post. Feel free to point out anything that you don't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeltaForce said:
What resources are recommended for people like me?

Irodov's Problems in General Physics
University Physics by Young & Freedman (for those learning calculus)

What is a good routine for studying this subject given my circumstances?

How should I review for the stuff my class already covered?

I think it is important not to have gaps in one's knowledge. If something is unsettling you because you don't think you understand it, try to find the answer. Pause there and research online until you find the answers you need.

That said, I think a lot of learning for olympiads is learning the formulas so you don't have to derive them. So for example, for projectile motion you should know all the formulas like height, range, etc. But once you learn calculus, you can also derive the formulas which can help you to remember them.

I really need a deeper understanding of the topics besides math formulas.

I think for now you'll just have to learn the formulas. That said, you also need to know when to use them. So focus on that, drawing a diagram, understanding exactly what the problem is asking, how it relates to similar problems, what formulas might you apply and what assumptions do they use. Then, apply the formulas in a chain that gives you the answer.

How do I dominate over my peers?

For now, know how and when to use the formulas. For example, what assumptions must be satisfied to use the formula ##s = t(u+v) \over 2##? Continue like that.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the response!
I'm planning on working about 30 problems per day each chapter in my textbook. I hope that can fill in my gap in knowledge, and it will click for me. Is that too much or nah?

DeltaForce said:
Thanks for the response!
I'm planning on working about 30 problems per day each chapter in my textbook. I hope that can fill in my gap in knowledge, and it will click for me. Is that too much or nah?

It sounds like a lot. I think I'd do 25 at the most.

I want to emphasize how important drawing a diagram is. If you can get the diagram right, the problem becomes easy. If you get it wrong, you might catch your mistake but it's wasteful. For example, in a recent thread a question was asked about a car on a banked curve, what would happen if the car went slower than the bank was designed for. The right diagram led me to a simple formula because I could leverage my knowledge once I had a good diagram. So definitely do that. Especially if you use Irodov, the right diagram will be crucial, I think.

1. What is the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO)?

The International Physics Olympiad is an annual international physics competition for high school students. It aims to promote interest in physics and identify and reward talented students in the field.

2. How can I participate in the IPhO?

To participate in the IPhO, you must first qualify through your national physics olympiad or selection process. Once selected, you will compete with other students from around the world in a series of theoretical and experimental physics exams.

3. What topics are covered in the IPhO?

The IPhO covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also includes both theoretical and experimental components.

4. What are the benefits of competing in the IPhO?

Competing in the IPhO offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to meet and collaborate with other physics enthusiasts from around the world, gaining a deeper understanding of physics concepts and theories, and potentially receiving recognition and awards for your performance.

5. How can I prepare for the IPhO?

To prepare for the IPhO, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics concepts and theories. Practice solving theoretical and experimental problems, and familiarize yourself with the format of the competition. You can also seek help from teachers, mentors, and previous IPhO participants.