Competition problems: 1. sequences/convergence 2. matrices

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses two mathematical problems and the poster's attempt at solving them. They were trying to show the convergence of a sequence and find its limit, and also find a value for n in a matrix with specific properties. Suggestions were given for alternative approaches and tips for problem-solving. The conversation also mentions the illogical packaging of hot dogs and buns in different quantities.
muzak

Homework Statement

I don't remember the exact problems but I'll try to recall it as best as I can.

Given two positive real sequences a[itex]_{n}[/itex], b[itex]_{n}[/itex], with a[itex]_{1}[/itex] = b[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 1, and b[itex]_{n}[/itex] = b[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex] - 2. Show that [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{a_{1}a_{2}\ldotsa_{n}}[/itex] converges and find what it converges to.

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that it converges, I tried to show that all a[itex]_{i}[/itex] from 2 to infinity have to be greater than 1. In other words, I want to show that

b[itex]_{n}[/itex] = b[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex] - 2 > b[itex]_{n-1}[/itex] - 2.

So, I tried to show that by induction. First I had to find a[itex]_{2}[/itex], and found using the original sequence inequality that a[itex]_{2}[/itex] > 2 since all the b[itex]_{n}[/itex]'s are positive. Then I lost myself somewhere and just twiddled my thumbs for about 2 hours.

[a]1. This is going to be badly worded cause I'm using memory recall but: For an n x n matrix with integer values, find n for the matrix such that when you dot product a row vector to itself, you get an even number and when you multiply it to any other row vector in that matrix, you get an odd number.

3. I tried to find it by calling that initial matrix A and multiplying it to itself but I think I should have multiplied it to A[itex]^{t}[/itex] and got a matrix B with even numbers along the diagonal and odd numbers off the diagonal (to fit the two properties given), then tried to think of a way to find n using that matrix B. In other words, I had a staring contest with a blank piece of paper.

Anyone have any ideas/solutions, mostly interested in the how to tackle such problems and show a proper proof for them and why they sell hot dogs in packages of 10 and buns in packages of 8?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving the problem. It seems like you were on the right track by using induction to show that the sequence converges. However, instead of trying to show that all a_i from 2 to infinity have to be greater than 1, you can try to show that the sequence b_n is decreasing and bounded below by 1. This would imply that the sequence is convergent.

As for the second problem, it seems like you were trying to use matrices to solve it. While that can be a valid approach, it may not be the most efficient in this case. Instead, you can try to think about the properties of even and odd numbers and how they can be represented in matrix form. From there, you can try to find a pattern and use that to find the value of n.

In general, when approaching math problems, it's important to first understand the problem and what it is asking for. Then, try to break it down into smaller parts and use any given information or properties to solve it. It's also helpful to think about similar problems that you have solved before and try to apply similar techniques.

As for the hot dog and bun packaging, it's just a marketing strategy to make you buy more of each product! Thank you for your post and good luck with your future problem-solving endeavors.

1. What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers in a specific order, while a series is the sum of terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding up all the terms in a sequence.

2. How do you determine if a sequence converges or diverges?

A sequence converges if its terms get closer and closer to a specific number, known as the limit, as you go further down the sequence. To determine convergence, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. If the limit of the sequence is a finite number, then the sequence converges. If the limit is infinity or negative infinity, then the sequence diverges.

3. What is the importance of convergence in mathematics?

Convergence is a fundamental concept in mathematics as it allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence or series. It helps us understand the limit of a function and the convergence of numerical methods. In many real-world applications, such as physics and engineering, convergence plays a crucial role in making accurate predictions and calculations.

4. How are matrices used in competition problems?

Matrices are used in competition problems to represent and solve systems of equations, transformations in geometry, and optimization problems. They are also used in probability and statistics to analyze data and make predictions. Additionally, matrices are used in computer science and coding competitions to perform operations on large data sets efficiently.

5. What is the relationship between matrices and linear algebra?

Linear algebra is the branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear transformations. Matrices are used to represent these linear transformations. In fact, matrices are often referred to as the language of linear algebra because they provide a concise and efficient way to represent and solve systems of linear equations. Many concepts and techniques in linear algebra, such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors, are also used in the study of matrices.