Complete A Table By Evaluation

In summary, the resistance y (in ohms) of a 1000-foot solid copper wire at 68 degrees Fahrenheit can be calculated using the formula y = 10,370/(x^2), where x is the diameter of the wire in mils (0.001 inch). The table can be completed by substituting the given values of x and calculating the corresponding values of y using the formula. When rounding the calculated values, it is important to consider the number of significant figures in the given values.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Complete a table by evaluation.
Relevant Equations
y = 10,370/(x^2)
The resistance y (in ohms) of 1000 feet
of solid copper wire at 68 degrees Fahrenheit is y = 10,370/(x^2) where x is the diameter of the wire in mils (0.001 inch).

Complete the table.

x...60 70 80 90 100
y...

Solution:

Let x = 60

y = 10,370/(60)^2

y = 10,370/3600

y = 2.8805555556

This decimal cannot be the answer for y to be placed in the table above, right?

I need to know if this is right before moving on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is wrong?

caz said:
Why do you think it is wrong?
I just feel the number should be rounded off at least to two decimal places. You say?

It’s hard to tell where to round it. 10370 has five digits, so you should not have more than 4 decimal places. Teachers can be retentive about these things, but personally I would round to 2 or 3 decimal places.

Likes nycmathguy
caz said:
It’s hard to tell where to round it. 10370 has five digits, so you should not have more than 4 decimal places. Teachers can be retentive about these things, but personally I would round to 2 or 3 decimal places.
Ok. Will do.

Likes nycmathguy

1. What is the purpose of completing a table by evaluation?

The purpose of completing a table by evaluation is to organize and analyze data in a structured and systematic way. This allows for easier interpretation and identification of patterns and relationships within the data.

2. How do you complete a table by evaluation?

To complete a table by evaluation, you must first gather the necessary data and input it into the table. Then, you must carefully analyze the data and make observations or calculations to fill in any missing values or add additional information to the table.

3. What are the benefits of completing a table by evaluation?

Completing a table by evaluation can help to identify trends, patterns, and relationships within the data. It also allows for easy comparison of different data points and can aid in making informed decisions based on the data.

4. What are some common methods used to complete a table by evaluation?

Some common methods used to complete a table by evaluation include filling in missing values with averages or estimations, using formulas or calculations to derive new data points, and adding additional information or categories to the table based on the data.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my completed table by evaluation?

To ensure the accuracy of your completed table by evaluation, it is important to carefully review and double-check all data inputs, calculations, and observations. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the table for any errors or discrepancies.