Complete Motion of a ball in a Stable Equilibrium

In summary, TanX is trying to find the minimum velocity, denoted as Vmin, needed for a ball to complete its motion around a frictionless, perfectly curved system. Using the conservation of mechanical energy equation, TanX derived the equation u2 - v2 = 2gh, where u is the speed at the bottom, v is the speed at the top, and h is the height by which the ball rises. TanX defines Vmin as the least velocity for the ball to complete its motion around the system, and if the ball is pushed with a velocity less than Vmin, it will stop or reverse its direction before completing the path.
TanX
Hello Everybody! My name is TanX and I got a figure in my mind while studting concepts related to Vertical Circular Motion. I tried finding a solution to it (i.e) I tried finding the condition for movement of the particle in the figure that had come in my mind...

Homework Statement

So here is my figure (see attachment)
upload_2018-2-18_20-16-48.png
[/B]

What I wanted to do was to Find the minimum velocity (Vmin) to be imparted to the ball so as to complete the path given... Here it is granted that
(1). The system will not break by the force / momentum of the ball.
(2) the edges are perfectly curved and friction less.
(3) The entire system is friction less.
(4) Work done is conserved and none is lost due to external factors.
(5) Efficiency of force (Power) is at max.
(6) Mechanical Energy of the system is conserved.

Homework Equations

K.E = mV2/2 where m,v and K.E mean the same as their common usage
M.E = P.E + K.E = mgh + K.E where m,g,h and K.E mean the same as their common usage[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first thing that came to my mind was that the mechanical energy was conserved...Therefore I could say that
(K.E)Lost= (P.E)Gained
which implied that:
m(v2 - u2)/2 = (-mgh)
Which gives
u2 - v2 = 2gh
Then I came up with the idea that if the ball makes a complete round trip, it would not have covered any displacement at all...which gave
u2 = v2
which was indeed not one bit useful... so I was stuck here...brainstorming ways to find the minimum velocity needed to complete the round trip...
Any help will be appreciated...Thanks in advance

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-18_20-16-48.png
    upload_2018-2-18_20-16-48.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TanX and welcome to PF.

TanX said:
u2 - v2 = 2gh
In this equation h is the height by which the ball rises, u is the speed at the bottom and v the speed at the top. You are looking for minimum speed u. What defines this "minimum"? In other words, if u is below this minimum value, what will happen (or not happen)?

kuruman said:
In this equation h is the height by which the ball rises, u is the speed at the bottom and v the speed at the top. You are looking for minimum speed u. What defines this "minimum"? In other words, if u is below this minimum value, what will happen (or not happen)?
Let's see... Here I would define the minimum velocity as the least velocity for the object (i.e)the ball to complete its motion around the system. If I were to push the ball with a velocity lesser than the minimum velocity Vmin, then the ball would stop its motion midway (i.e) it would stop its motion or reverse its direction (depending on its position) somewhere in the system which is not the beginning point. Basically the one thing that will not happen is that the ball will not complete the path from one point to the same one.

TanX said:
If I were to push the ball with a velocity lesser than the minimum velocity Vmin, then the ball would stop its motion midway (i.e) it would stop its motion or reverse its direction ...
You mean and reverse its direction. Anyway, you will agree that if u is less than vmin, the object will not make it to the top and if u is greater than vmin, the object will make it to the top and will have some speed v left to take it around. What do you think will happen if the object has exactly speed u = vmin? Remember, this is an idealized situation.

kuruman said:
What do you think will happen if the object has exactly speed u = vmin? Remember, this is an idealized situation.
Okay...This is a tough one... I guess if the situation is idealised it might end up at the top left curving point with velocity = 0 m/s, and then it would be taken down because of the curve, allow gravity to make it fall down and finally, here considering collision as elastic ,( I am not very sure about this) moves a bit towards its original position. (If this involves collision mechanics then I would need some help because I have not learned it yet..)

TanX said:
I guess if the situation is idealised it might end up at the top left curving point with velocity = 0 m/s ...
That's the answer. Note that the idealized situation is never accomplished in "real" life. The ball will have a speed vmin±ε where ε is an arbitrarily small number. When the ball reaches the top, it will either fall back down or continue on with speed ε. This is analogous to the idea of escape velocity from the surface of a planet; it is the minimum velocity needed to escape the plantet's gravity and reach infinity with zero kinetic energy (and zero speed).

kuruman said:
That's the answer. Note that the idealized situation is never accomplished in "real" life. The ball will have a speed vmin±ε where ε is an arbitrarily small number. When the ball reaches the top, it will either fall back down or continue on with speed ε. This is analogous to the idea of escape velocity from the surface of a planet; it is the minimum velocity needed to escape the plantet's gravity and reach infinity with zero kinetic energy (and zero speed).
Oh, so you say that the ball would never complete the motion in this case? Does the arbitrary number have any property related to the height or something?... Also I did not understand how it was analogous to escape velocity...

TanX said:
Oh, so you say that the ball would never complete the motion in this case?
If by "complete the motion" you mean go around the channel and come back where it started, the ball will complete the motion if its speed larger than vmin and will not complete the motion if its speed less than vmin.
TanX said:
Does the arbitrary number have any property related to the height or something?
The number is not arbitrary and, yes, it is related to the height. Look at your equation
TanX said:
u2 - v2 = 2gh
What do symbols u and v stand for?
What is v when u = vmin?

Likes TanX
kuruman said:
If by "complete the motion" you mean go around the channel and come back where it started, the ball will complete the motion if its speed larger than vmin and will not complete the motion if its speed less than vmin.

The number is not arbitrary and, yes, it is related to the height. Look at your equation
What do symbols u and v stand for?
What is v when u = vmin?
Oh...That clears it! When u = vmin Then v = 0 m/s or
vmin= 2gh

You got it.

Likes TanX
kuruman said:
You got it.
Thanks a lot for your help.

1. What is meant by "stable equilibrium" in regards to the motion of a ball?

Stable equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and any small disturbance or change in its position will result in a restoring force that brings the object back to its original position.

2. How does the complete motion of a ball in stable equilibrium differ from other types of motion?

The complete motion of a ball in stable equilibrium is characterized by a constant, uniform speed in a circular path. This is in contrast to other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion, which involve changes in speed and direction.

3. What factors affect the stability of a ball in stable equilibrium?

The stability of a ball in stable equilibrium is influenced by its mass, shape, and the surface on which it is resting. Heavier balls with a lower center of gravity and a flat surface tend to be more stable.

4. Can a ball be in stable equilibrium if it is moving?

No, a ball cannot be in stable equilibrium if it is moving. In order to be in stable equilibrium, the ball must be at rest and any motion must be purely circular.

5. How is the motion of a ball in stable equilibrium useful in real-world applications?

The motion of a ball in stable equilibrium can be seen in many real-world applications, such as the rotation of planets around the sun and the motion of satellites in orbit. It is also important in sports, such as billiards and bowling, where the ball's stable equilibrium ensures a consistent and predictable path of motion.