Completing a Bachelors degree without a laptop?

In summary, the individual is facing financial difficulties and is considering selling their gaming laptop to help with their situation. They are interested in purchasing a 10 inch tablet and using it for their studies, but are unsure if it is possible to complete a bachelor's degree solely with a tablet. They are also unsure about the comfort of reading PDFs on a tablet. They mention already being overwhelmed and working, making it difficult to balance everything. Other users suggest looking for deals on laptops and using computer labs or campus resources, but also recommend a laptop for studying physics due to the need for specific tools and programs. They suggest spending the tablet money on a cheap laptop and installing Linux for better computer skills. They also suggest checking out library resources for laptops.
pablo.93
Hello PF,

Im going through some financial difficulties and i need some money, i have a gaming laptop that i can sell and that would help me greatly. I've been considering buying a 10 inch tablet and save the rest of the money...
Has anyone done this? going through a bachelors degree using just a tablet?(plus no pc is a plus for stduying bc there is only ethernet connection in the dorm so not so many distractions and i can use a hotspot from my phone for using the internet for studying but not for just bullshitting around bc i have limited data volume)
Can you write a thesis with just a tablet(with those attachable keyboards) or is it a pain in the a**?

Thank you in advance.

ps: how comfortable or uncomfortable is to read a pdf from a tablet?
pss: I am already working so working is not an option. I am pretty overwhelmed already trying to handle everything
psss: I am in the 5th semester. idk if this info might help

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize what part of the year this is, and you should expect to find some great retail deals on a few "laptop" computers to effectively be priced at less than 400 dollars, maybe as low as 300 dollars. Most likely brands would be Dell, HP, Lenovo.

symbolipoint said:
You do realize what part of the year this is, and you should expect to find some great retail deals on a few "laptop" computers to effectively be priced at less than 400 dollars, maybe as low as 300 dollars.
This might depend on which country you're in...

Schools and profs vary in how computer intensive their courses are. They also vary in availability of computer resources the school provides. Most schools I know in the US Have computer "labs" - rooms full of computers that students may use. In these schools, it takes some care and scheduling, but most or all work students need to do on a computer can be done in these labs.

In most cases, students with campus jobs may also be provided with a computer in their work area, and if they ask these computers will be allowed to be used for school work.

If you are in your 5th semester then you know your computer requirements more than we do.

While studying physics, you will want tools like mathematica, python and matlab/octave..etc to help with homework and to investigate course content. Latex is also needed to typeset assignments. The easiest way to do all this is with a laptop that you have installed Linux on. The alternative is to use online tools like cocalc. The problem with tablets is that they do not run a full desktop browser or operating system, which may make it impossible to run the tools you want.

I would spend the tablet money on a cheap laptop with 8gb ram and an i5 processor, then install Ubuntu Linux. Reading from a tablet is similar to reading from a laptop - I also absorb information better when printed. Linux will also help boost your computer skills.

Like others have said, the price of a good tablet is about the same as the price of an OK laptop. I found my laptop for $120 on black friday, and I keep it on campus for me to work on there. You'll be better off with a laptop, in my opinion.

Likes symbolipoint
How old is the gaming laptop?
Will you actually receive any money for it?

If you bought it for 1200 2 years ago, it'll be worth 400 now.

Also consider other library resources. At my university you can rent a laptop. Its for a short period of time, but you could just carry a flash drive and pick up on a different laptop each time.

1. Can I complete a Bachelor's degree without a laptop?

Yes, it is possible to complete a Bachelor's degree without a laptop. While having a laptop can make the process more convenient, there are other ways to access and complete coursework, such as using the computer lab at your school or borrowing a laptop from a friend or family member.

2. Do I need a laptop to complete online courses?

It depends on the requirements of the online courses you are taking. Some online courses may require you to have a laptop or computer, while others may allow you to complete assignments and coursework on a tablet or even a smartphone. It's important to check the specific requirements for each course.

3. Will not having a laptop affect my grades?

Not having a laptop may make completing coursework more challenging, but it ultimately depends on how you adapt and manage your time. You may need to spend more time in the computer lab or using alternative devices, but it is still possible to maintain good grades without a laptop.

4. Are there any resources or accommodations available for students without laptops?

Many schools have resources available for students who do not have access to a laptop or computer. This may include computer labs, loaner laptops, or resources for low-income students to obtain laptops. It's important to reach out to your school's resources and see what options are available.

5. How can I make the most out of my Bachelor's degree without a laptop?

There are many ways to make the most out of your Bachelor's degree without a laptop. You can utilize your school's resources, such as the library and computer lab, to access and complete coursework. You can also network with classmates and see if anyone is willing to share their laptop for group projects or assignments. Additionally, you can take advantage of online resources and tools that can be accessed through a smartphone or tablet.