[Complex analysis] Coefficients of Laurent series

In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with past exam questions and attempting to solve some of them. They were unsure about approaching certain problems involving poles and essential singularities, but were given guidance on how to approach them.
mick25

Homework Statement

I have some past exam questions that I am confused with

vuwxl.png

Homework Equations

[itex]a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{f(z)}{z-a}\, dz[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this, I'm completely lost and just attempted to solve a few:

a) it says [itex]f(z)[/itex] has a pole of order 5, so [itex] f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{z^5}, g(z)\neq0 [/itex]

so then I guess the condition is [itex]a_{4} = \frac{g^{(4)}(0)}{4!} [/itex]? But that's just applying the formula for the coefficients...

c) [itex] f(\frac{1}{z}) = \frac{g(\frac{1}{z})}{z^5} => f(z) = z^5g(z) [/itex]

so the coefficients are [itex] a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma z^5g(z) dz [/itex]?

d) [itex] \frac{1}{f(z)} = \frac{g(z)}{z^5} => f(z) = \frac{z^5}{g(z)} [/itex]

so, [itex] a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{z^5}{g(z)} dz [/itex]

g) [itex]a_{-1} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_ \gamma f(z) dz = \frac{1}{2\pi i} = Res(f; c)*I(\gamma; c) = -Res(f; c)[/itex]

h) [itex] \frac{a_{n}}{16} = 4^{n}a_{n} => 0 = a_{n}(4^{n} - 4^{-2}) => a_{n} = 0 [/itex] or [itex] n = -2 [/itex]for e) and f), I'm not sure what the relevance of the essential singularity is

Well, I think you can see I'm clearly lost, would appreciate if you could help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
mick25 said:

Homework Statement

I have some past exam questions that I am confused with

vuwxl.png

Homework Equations

[itex]a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{f(z)}{z-a}\, dz[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this, I'm completely lost and just attempted to solve a few:

a) it says [itex]f(z)[/itex] has a pole of order 5, so [itex] f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{z^5}, g(z)\neq0 [/itex]

so then I guess the condition is [itex]a_{4} = \frac{g^{(4)}(0)}{4!} [/itex]? But that's just applying the formula for the coefficients...

c) [itex] f(\frac{1}{z}) = \frac{g(\frac{1}{z})}{z^5} => f(z) = z^5g(z) [/itex]

so the coefficients are [itex] a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma z^5g(z) dz [/itex]?

d) [itex] \frac{1}{f(z)} = \frac{g(z)}{z^5} => f(z) = \frac{z^5}{g(z)} [/itex]

so, [itex] a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{z^5}{g(z)} dz [/itex]

g) [itex]a_{-1} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_ \gamma f(z) dz = \frac{1}{2\pi i} = Res(f; c)*I(\gamma; c) = -Res(f; c)[/itex]

h) [itex] \frac{a_{n}}{16} = 4^{n}a_{n} => 0 = a_{n}(4^{n} - 4^{-2}) => a_{n} = 0 [/itex] or [itex] n = -2 [/itex]

for e) and f), I'm not sure what the relevance of the essential singularity is

Well, I think you can see I'm clearly lost, would appreciate if you could help me out.

You need to look at these by sayin' for example, (a), if
[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{z^n}[/tex]
and it has a pole of order 5, then that must mean it at least has a non-zero term for the [itex]\frac{1}{z^5}[/itex] term and all the other terms [itex]\frac{1}{z^n}[/itex] for n>5 must be zero else the pole would have a higher order. Ok, I'll do some of (b) same dif:

If:
[tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{z^n}[/tex]
and [itex]f(z)-7e^{1/z} [/itex] has a pole of order 5 and I know that [itex]e^{1/z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{z^n n!}[/itex], then that must mean the terms of f(z) would have to be what to cancel all that out except for at least the [itex]\frac{1}{z^5}[/itex] term?

Ok then, do that same thing with all the rest.

Related to [Complex analysis] Coefficients of Laurent series

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of power series expansion that includes both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to represent complex functions that are not analytic at all points in their domain.

2. How are Laurent series coefficients calculated?

The coefficients of a Laurent series can be calculated using the formula c_n = 1/2πi ∮ f(z)(z-z_0)^{-n-1} dz, where c_n is the coefficient of z^n, z_0 is the center of the series, and the integral is taken over a closed contour surrounding the center.

3. Can a Laurent series have infinitely many negative powers?

Yes, a Laurent series can have infinitely many negative powers. This is what distinguishes it from a regular power series, which only includes positive powers of the variable.

4. How can Laurent series be used to find singularities of a function?

A Laurent series expansion can reveal the type and location of singularities of a complex function. If the series has infinitely many negative powers, the function has an essential singularity at the center of the series. If there are only finitely many negative powers, the function has a pole of a certain order at the center.

5. Are Laurent series unique for a given function?

No, a given function can have multiple different Laurent series expansions, depending on the choice of center and the size of the contour used to calculate the coefficients. However, the Laurent series will converge to the same function within its domain of convergence.