Complex Analysis - Differentiability

In summary: So, since for any y there are complex roots, and that y is real, x is not real, so f is not differentiable.In summary, the function f defined by f(z) = 3\,{x}^{2}y+{y}^{3}-6\,{y}^{2}+i \left( 2\,{y}^{3}+6\,{y}^{2}+9\,x \right) is nowhere differentiable due to the fact that for any real values of x and y, the Cauchy-Riemann equations are not satisfied, resulting in complex roots and a non-differentiable function.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Show that the function f defined by [itex]f(z) = 3\,{x}^{2}y+{y}^{3}-6\,{y}^{2}+i \left( 2\,{y}^{3}+6\,{y}^{2}+9\,x
\right) [/itex] is nowhere differentiable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Computing the C.R equations for this, I am left with

[itex]{y}^{2}+2\,y={\it xy}[/itex]

and

[itex]x^2+(y-2)^2 = 1[/itex]

Now from the upper equation we can see that [itex]x={\frac {{y}^{2}+2\,y}{y}}[/itex]

This means that there is a discontinuity at y = 0, and therefore this function is not differentiable?

I somehow don't think is right as it would mean it's only not differentiable at that point, not necessarily everywhere, how would I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

Show that the function f defined by [itex]f(z) = 3\,{x}^{2}y+{y}^{3}-6\,{y}^{2}+i \left( 2\,{y}^{3}+6\,{y}^{2}+9\,x
\right) [/itex] is nowhere differentiable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Computing the C.R equations for this, I am left with

[itex]{y}^{2}+2\,y={\it xy}[/itex]

and

[itex]x^2+(y-2)^2 = 1[/itex]

Now from the upper equation we can see that [itex]x={\frac {{y}^{2}+2\,y}{y}}[/itex]

This means that there is a discontinuity at y = 0, and therefore this function is not differentiable?

I somehow don't think is right as it would mean it's only not differentiable at that point, not necessarily everywhere, how would I go about this?

x and y are real numbers right? So, is there ever a real solution to those two equations? That is can you substitute x=f(y) of one into the other, make a polynomial out of it, then solve for the roots? If those roots are only complex, then the CR equations are never satisfied.

[tex]u_y = 3x^2 + 3y^2 - 12y = -9 = -v_x\Rightarrow x^2 + y(y -4) = -3[/tex]

I think part of your CR has a mistake.

Dustinsfl said:
[tex]u_y = 3x^2 + 3y^2 - 12y = -9 = -v_x\Rightarrow x^2 + y(y -4) = -3[/tex]

I think part of your CR has a mistake.

I just completed the square, so y(y - 4) becomes (y-2)^2 and the addition of the 4 means the other side of equation becomes 1.

jackmell said:
x and y are real numbers right? So, is there ever a real solution to those two equations? That is can you substitute x=f(y) of one into the other, make a polynomial out of it, then solve for the roots? If those roots are only complex, then the CR equations are never satisfied.

Ah yes, I see now. Thanks for that!

I got two sets of complex roots because I solved for two values of y, and when I substituted those, both results were complex. If only one were complex would that mean it's still differentiable but at that point?

Last edited:
It would be differentialbe where ever x and y are real and satisfy the CR equations.

Related to Complex Analysis - Differentiability

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is the branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It is a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing functions that are defined on the complex plane.

What is differentiability in complex analysis?

Differentiability in complex analysis refers to the ability of a function to have a derivative at a specific point in the complex plane. It is a more complex concept than in real analysis, as it involves both the real and imaginary parts of a function.

How is differentiability defined in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a function is said to be differentiable at a point if the limit of the difference quotient exists as the point approaches that value. This is similar to the definition in real analysis, but it must hold for both the real and imaginary parts of the function.

What are the consequences of a function being differentiable in complex analysis?

If a function is differentiable in complex analysis, it implies that the function is infinitely smooth and can be expressed as a power series. It also allows for the use of powerful techniques such as Cauchy's integral formula and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

What are some applications of complex analysis in differentiability?

Complex analysis and differentiability have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and more. They are also crucial in the study of analytic functions, which play a significant role in many areas of mathematics.