Complex analysis: find contradiction of a relationship

In summary: So, if we do not have to worry about the branch cut, then the two equations are equivalent for all z. However, if we do have to worry about the branch cut, then we need to restrict the range of z to exclude those values where the branch cut crosses. In summary, the equations ##\log(\frac{1}{z})=-\log(z)## are equivalent for all z, unless we restrict the range to avoid the branch cut.
A Story of a Student
Homework Statement
Find a ##z \in \mathbb{C}## such that ##log(1/z)\neq −log(z)##
Relevant Equations
##\log(z)=\ln|z|+i\arg(z)##
I have reached a conclusion that no such z can be found. Are there any flaws in my argument? Or are there cases that aren't covered in this?

Attempt
##\log(\frac{1}{z})=\ln\frac{1}{|z|}+i\arg(\frac{1}{z})##
##-\log(z)=-\ln|z|-i\arg(z)##

For the real part ##\ln\frac{1}{|z|}=\ln1-\ln|z|=-\ln|z|##
For the imaginary part ##\arg(\frac{1}{|z|})=\arg(\frac{1}{z\overline z}\overline{z})=\arg(\frac{1}{|z|^2}\overline{z})=-\arg{z}##

Thus ##\log(\frac{1}{z})=-\log(z)## for ##z\in\mathbb{C}\backslash\{0\}##

Mentor note: Fixed the broken LaTeX. Log and Arg should not be capitalized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about for ##z=i \rightarrow 1/z= -i##?

WWGD said:
How about for ##z=i \rightarrow 1/z= -i##?
I found they to be same.
##\log(\frac{1}{z})=\log(-i)=\ln(1)+i\arg(-i)=-i\frac{\pi}{2}##
##-\log(z)=-\ln(1)-i\arg(i)=-i\frac{\pi}{2}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes WWGD
A Story of a Student said:
I found they to be same.
##\log(\frac{1}{z})=\log(-i)=\ln(1)+i\arg(-i)=-i\frac{\pi}{2}##
##-\log(z)=-\ln(1)-i\arg(i)=-i\frac{\pi}{2}##
Ok, I may have been wrong, sorry. I think you may have been right. ##1/z## =##\frac { z^{-} }{z^{-}z} ## where
given ##z=x+iy, z^{-}= x-iy##. The map ## z \rightarrow z^{-} ## reflects ##z## along the ##x-## axis, so the angles are equal with respect to the x-axis , but of different sign. My bad.

Likes A Story of a Student
If log(z) is restricted to the principal branch, then can you find a z where the two are not equal within the principal branch?

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
If log(z) is restricted to the principal branch, then can you find a z where the two are not equal within the principal branch?
Yes, good point, depending on where the cut is this will be possible. But there may be issues on whether the reflection "Jumps the branch".

FactChecker said:
I think they will be equal modulo ## 2k\pi; k \in \mathbb Z##.

Likes FactChecker
WWGD said:
I think they will be equal modulo ## 2k\pi; k \in \mathbb Z##.
Right. But that is the only way I can see to make the problem correct.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is a fundamental tool in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and geometry.

2. What is a contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis?

A contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis refers to a situation where two statements or equations that are supposed to be related, end up contradicting each other. This can happen when there is an error in the assumptions or logic used in the analysis.

3. How can I find a contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis?

To find a contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis, you can start by carefully examining the assumptions and logic used in the analysis. Look for any errors or inconsistencies, and try to trace back the steps to see where the contradiction may have arisen. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or colleague.

4. Why is finding a contradiction in a relationship important in complex analysis?

Finding a contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis is important because it helps identify errors in the analysis and allows for corrections to be made. It also helps in further understanding the relationship between different concepts and can lead to new discoveries and insights in the field.

5. What are some common mistakes that can lead to a contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis?

Some common mistakes that can lead to a contradiction in a relationship in complex analysis include incorrect assumptions, faulty logic, and computational errors. It is important to double-check all the steps and assumptions made in the analysis to avoid such mistakes.