Complex Analysis: Liouville's Theorem

In summary, the conversation was about proving that an entire function with a bounded real part is constant. Liouville's Theorem states that the only bounded entire functions are the constant functions. The discussion then focused on finding a function that is bounded for both the real and imaginary parts, resulting in the conclusion that f is constant. The conversation also touched on using e^f(z) to show that f(z) is constant.
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f=u+iv[/tex] be an entire function. Prove that if [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, then [tex]f[/tex] is constant.

Homework Equations

Liouville's Theorem states that the only bounded entire functions are the constant functions on [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, then the real part of the function is bounded, obviously. I need a function that is bounded for both the real and imaginary parts when just the real part is bounded and I am not sure how to find that...

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about g=1/(M-f) where M is real. How can you pick a value for M that will make g bounded?

I don't see how to do that.

tarheelborn said:
I don't see how to do that.

What is |g| in terms of u, v and M?

Is this what you mean?

[tex]|g|=\frac{(M-u)^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}+\frac{v^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}[/tex]

tarheelborn said:
Is this what you mean?

[tex]|g|=\frac{(M-u)^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}+\frac{v^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}[/tex]

That's actually |g|^2. So simplify it and take the square root. Yes, that's basically what I mean.

Oops, got carried away in my LaTeX! Yes, I did mean the square root of that... Let me see if I can get anywhere from there! Thank you.

OK, so now that I have g bounded, it follows that f is bounded since [tex]\frac{1}{M-f}\neq 0.[/tex] Then it follows from Liouville's Theorem that f is constant, right?

tarheelborn said:
OK, so now that I have g bounded, it follows that f is bounded since [tex]\frac{1}{M-f}\neq 0.[/tex] Then it follows from Liouville's Theorem that f is constant, right?

No, you are jumping to conclusions. |g|=1/sqrt((M-u)^2+v^2) is only going to be large if (M-u)^2 and v^2 are small. You can't do much about v^2. But you can make sure (M-u)^2 isn't small. Use that u is bounded. Tell me what 'bounded' means.

OK... Bounded just means that it has a limit, right?

tarheelborn said:
OK... Bounded just means that it has a limit, right?

A 'limit' in what sense? u is bounded if there is a constant N such that -N<u<N.

Well, to make sure (M-u)^2 isn't small, could we let [tex](m-u)^2 \geq max (M,1)[/tex] where [tex]M[/tex] is the bound for [tex]u?[/tex] This is remotely, and I mean VERY remotely, similar to an example we did in class, so I think it might be in the right direction.

Oops, that should be [tex](M-u)^2 \geq max(M,1) ...[/tex]

tarheelborn said:
Oops, that should be [tex](M-u)^2 \geq max(M,1) ...[/tex]

I'm not sure you are seeing how simple it is. If -N<u<N then what happens if you pick M=N+1??

I actually ended up starting over and going a completely different route, as follows:

Let [tex]g(z) = e^{f(z)},[/tex] which is also entire, by assumption. We will apply Liouville’s theorem to [tex]g.[/tex]
[tex]|g(z)| = e^{u+iv} = e^u*|e^{iv}|= e^u[/tex]
because [tex]|e^{iv}| = 1[/tex] for all [tex]z = x+iy.[/tex] Since [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, say [tex]u ≤ M,[/tex] [tex]M \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] and [tex]e^u[/tex] is strictly increasing, we have [tex]|g(z)|\leq e^M[/tex] which implies that [tex]g[/tex] is constant. It follows that [tex]f[/tex] is also constant. [tex]\blacksquare[/tex]

That works too. You do need to deal with the minor detail of showing that e^f(z) is constant implies f(z) is constant, since the exponential function isn't 1-1. The other approach would have shown for g=1/((N+1)-f) that |g|<=1 so g is constant and nonzero. Then you can just solve for f.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Your direction caused me to think enough to go in the other direction. I really appreciate that!

Very welcome.

Related to Complex Analysis: Liouville's Theorem

1. What is Liouville's Theorem in complex analysis?

Liouville's Theorem states that any bounded entire function in the complex plane must be a constant function. In other words, if a function is defined and continuous everywhere in the complex plane and does not have any singularities, then it must be a constant.

2. Why is Liouville's Theorem important in complex analysis?

Liouville's Theorem is important because it allows us to easily identify and classify entire functions. It also has many applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

3. How is Liouville's Theorem proved?

The proof of Liouville's Theorem involves the use of Cauchy's Integral Formula and the Maximum Modulus Principle. It can also be proven using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the Cauchy-Riemann differential equations.

4. Can Liouville's Theorem be extended to functions with singularities?

No, Liouville's Theorem only applies to entire functions, which do not have any singularities in the complex plane. However, there are similar theorems that apply to functions with poles or essential singularities, such as the Casorati-Weierstrass Theorem.

5. How is Liouville's Theorem related to the concept of analyticity?

Liouville's Theorem is closely related to the concept of analyticity, as it states that any entire function, which is defined and continuous everywhere in the complex plane, must be analytic. This means that it can be represented by a convergent power series in the complex variable.