When is an entire function a constant?

In summary: I was thinking in terms of absolute value. But this is just the real part!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a complex function and its imaginary part. It is stated that if the imaginary part of the function is greater than 0, then the function must be constant. The proof for this statement involves using Louiville's Theorem. The confusion arises from the fact that complex numbers are not ordered, but the imaginary part of a complex number can be seen as a function from the complex plane to the real line. Thus, the statement "Im(f(z)) > 0" simply means that the complex number lies in the upper half of the complex plane.
Terrell

Homework Statement

Let ##f(z)## be an entire function of ##z \in \Bbb{C}##. If ##\operatorname{Im}(f(z)) \gt 0##, then ##f(z)## is a constant.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get how the imaginary part of ##f(z)## would be greater than any number. Aren't complex numbers not ordered? The proof is one line and uses Louiville's Theorem, but I think I don't understand this question in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex numbers are not ordered, but Im(f(z)) is a real number, which are ordered.

Likes Terrell and PeroK
Terrell said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f(z)## be an entire function of ##z \in \Bbb{C}##. If ##\operatorname{Im}(f(z)) \gt 0##, then ##f(z)## is a constant.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get how the imaginary part of ##f(z)## would be greater than any number. Aren't complex numbers not ordered? The proof is one line and uses Louiville's Theorem, but I think I don't understand this question in the first place.

Any line in the complex plane can be ordered: it's essentially the same as the Real line. That's also true of the imaginary line.

In any case, the imaginary part of a complex number can be seen as a function from ##\mathbb{C}## to ##\mathbb{R}##.

And, in fact, ##Im(z) > 0## simply means that ##z## lies in the upper half of the complex plane.

Likes Terrell
FactChecker said:
Complex numbers are not ordered, but Im(f(z)) is a real number, which are ordered.
Thanks! I just realized my boo boo.

1. What is an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and holomorphic (analytic) on the entire complex plane.

2. What does it mean for an entire function to be a constant?

If an entire function is a constant, it means that the function has the same value at every point in the complex plane.

3. How can you determine if an entire function is a constant?

An entire function is a constant if and only if it is bounded on the entire complex plane.

4. Can an entire function be a constant and have zeros?

No, if an entire function is a constant, it cannot have any zeros because a constant function has the same value at every point.

5. Are there any other conditions for an entire function to be a constant?

Yes, an entire function can also be a constant if it is the exponential function, i.e. f(z) = ecz where c is a constant.