Complex analysis question I don't understand solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the map of a certain domain applied to a function in complex analysis. The main point of confusion is how Re(w) < 1 was obtained, with the conclusion being that it is due to the criteria u < 0 which becomes u < 0 + 1 = 1 after translation.
Genericcoder
So I am self studying complex analysis using some notes online so here he is trying to figure the map of certain domain applied to a function I follow everything but the end I don't get in the end when he got Re(w) < 1 how did he get that ? is it just because Re(w) which is 1/2 and 0 in this case is always less than 1? or what I don't get it.

f(S) = {w ∈ C : |w −1/2| > 1/2, Re(w) < 1}.

Attachments

• 1complex.jpg
    1complex.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 500
  • 2complex.jpg
    2complex.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 502
  • 3complex.jpg
    3complex.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
Deleted.

Notice at the beginning of the 3rd page, the first criteria given is u<0 which was kind of neglected until the end.

but why exactly 1 ? I don't see how would that make it the case... ? @ Mentallic

Perok ?

Genericcoder said:
but why exactly 1 ? I don't see how would that make it the case... ? @ Mentallic

Because u<0 which is Re(1/w)<0 was one of the criteria we found that needs to be true after we did the inversion z->1/w, but then we needed to do an expansion z->2z, and u<0 simply becomes u<2(0) which is still u<0, so nothing changes in that step while the circle did change. The final step is a translation of z->z+1 so if u<0 then this becomes u<0+1=1. Hence, Re(w)<1.

Likes 1 person
Thank you makes sense.

Related to Complex analysis question I don't understand solution

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is concerned with understanding the properties and behavior of functions that are defined on complex numbers, which are numbers of the form a + bi where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the residue theorem. These concepts are used to study the behavior of complex functions and find solutions to complex analysis problems.

3. How is complex analysis used in real-world applications?

Complex analysis is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving complex systems and helps in understanding the behavior of physical phenomena.

4. What are some common techniques used in solving complex analysis problems?

Some common techniques used in solving complex analysis problems include contour integration, power series expansion, and the Cauchy integral formula. These methods can be used to evaluate complex integrals, find solutions to differential equations, and analyze the behavior of complex functions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of complex analysis?

To improve your understanding of complex analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus and linear algebra. Practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with key concepts and techniques. It is also helpful to read textbooks and seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or professors.