Proving geometric sum for complex numbers

In summary: Sorry for the confusion.In summary, the conversation revolved around proving a mathematical equation using induction. The base case for ##N=1## was causing difficulty and the conversation explored different approaches using complex numbers and factoring. Ultimately, it was determined that factoring was the most straightforward method to prove the base case.
CGandC
Homework Statement
Prove that for every complex number ## z \neq 1 ## it occurs that ## \sum_{n=0}^{N} z^{n}=\frac{1-z^{N+1}}{1-z} ##
Relevant Equations
## z= a+ib , z = r e^{i \theta} ##
I went ahead and tried to prove by induction but I got stuck at the base case for ## N =1 ## ( in my course we don't define ## 0 ## as natural so that's why I started from ## N = 1 ## ) which gives ## \sum_{k=0}^1 z_k = 1 + z = 1+ a + ib ## .
I need to show that this is equal to ## \frac{1- z^2 }{1-z} ## , i.e. ## 1+z = \frac{1- z^2 }{1-z} ##.
So I went straight ahead and did as follows:
## \frac{ 1-(a+ib)^2 }{1-(a+ib) } = \frac{ 1-(a+ib)^2 }{1-a - ib) } \cdot \frac{1- a + ib}{ 1- a + ib } = \frac{ a^{3}+i a^{2} b-a^{2}+a b^{2}-2 i a b-a+i b^{3}+b^{2}+i b+1 }{a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1} ## but I don't really know how to continue from here.

I also tried using ## z = r e^{i \theta } ##:
## \frac{ 1 - r^2 e^{2 i \theta } }{ 1- r e^{i \theta } } = \frac{ 1 - r^2 e^{2 i \theta } }{ 1- r e^{i \theta } } \cdot \frac{ 1- r e^{-i \theta } }{1- r e^{-i \theta }} = \frac{r^{3} e^{i \theta}-r^{2} e^{2 i \theta}-r e^{-i \theta}+1}{r^{2}-2 r \cos (\theta)+1} ## and here I also stopped, unclear how to continue.

Can you please help? I don't know how to show the base case.

Edit: Problem's solved!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just factor the numerator?

Likes CGandC
@CGandC: Complex numbers obey the usual rules of arithmetic. You don't need to split [itex]z[/itex] into real and imaginary parts. It is easier to expand [itex](1 - z)\sum_{n=0}^N z^n[/itex] and show that this equals [itex]1 - z^{N+1}[/itex].

vela said:
Why don't you just factor the numerator?

In my view that comes fairly close to assuming what the question asks you to prove.

Likes CGandC
I factored and Indeed I got what I wanted:
##
\frac{1- z^2 }{1-z}
= \frac{ 1-(a+ib)^2 }{1-(a+ib) } = \frac{ 1-(a+ib)^2 }{1-a - ib) } \cdot \frac{1- a + ib}{ 1- a + ib } = \frac{ a^{3}+i a^{2} b-a^{2}+a b^{2}-2 i a b-a+i b^{3}+b^{2}+i b+1 }{a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1} =

\frac{(a+1)\left(a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1\right)+i b\left(a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1\right)} {a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1} = a+1 + ib = 1 + a + ib = 1 + z ##

But as @pasmith proposed, it would've been easier if I'd show from the start that ##
(1 - z)\sum_{n=0}^N z^n = 1 - z^{N+1}
##
I haven't thought about that though.

that's it!, thanks for the help!

CGandC said:
I factored and Indeed I got what I wanted:
##
\frac{1- z^2 }{1-z}
= \frac{ 1-(a+ib)^2 }{1-(a+ib) } = \frac{ 1-(a+ib)^2 }{1-a - ib) } \cdot \frac{1- a + ib}{ 1- a + ib } = \frac{ a^{3}+i a^{2} b-a^{2}+a b^{2}-2 i a b-a+i b^{3}+b^{2}+i b+1 }{a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1} =

\frac{(a+1)\left(a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1\right)+i b\left(a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1\right)} {a^{2}-2 a+b^{2}+1} = a+1 + ib = 1 + a + ib = 1 + z ##
##1 - z^2 = (1 + z)(1 - z)##
I don't see that as assuming what the problem is asking you to prove. What you did is essentially the same as what I have above, although very much more long-winded.

Likes CGandC
You are correct, it was a very silly mistake of mine ignoring that.. probably because I've sat through lots of math exercises today non-stop and learning new topics.

pasmith said:
In my view that comes fairly close to assuming what the question asks you to prove.
I was referring to factoring ##1-z^2## to verify the base case, not the general case.

1. What is the formula for proving geometric sum for complex numbers?

The formula for proving geometric sum for complex numbers is Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

2. How do you prove the geometric sum for complex numbers using mathematical induction?

To prove the geometric sum for complex numbers using mathematical induction, you must first show that the formula is true for the base case (usually n = 1). Then, assume that the formula is true for some arbitrary value of n. Finally, use the assumption to prove that the formula is also true for n+1. This will prove that the formula is true for all values of n.

3. Can the geometric sum for complex numbers be proven using a visual representation?

Yes, the geometric sum for complex numbers can be proven using a visual representation. This is often done by drawing a geometric series on a complex plane and showing that the sum of the series is equal to the formula Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r).

4. What is the significance of proving the geometric sum for complex numbers?

Proving the geometric sum for complex numbers is significant because it allows us to calculate the sum of an infinite series of complex numbers. This is useful in many fields of mathematics, such as calculus and number theory.

5. Are there any other methods for proving the geometric sum for complex numbers?

Yes, there are other methods for proving the geometric sum for complex numbers, such as using the binomial theorem or using the concept of limits. However, mathematical induction is the most commonly used method for proving this formula.