Complex conjugate and time reversal operator

In summary: I don't understand how the basis containing ##| \alpha \rangle ## affects the action of ## K ##In summary, the complex conjugate operator, denoted as K, is basis dependent. If the basis contains |α⟩, then K does not affect |α⟩. The time reversal operator, denoted as Θ, reverses the time evolution of the state represented by the ket vector. Wigner's theorem states that a symmetry in quantum theory, which keeps the moduli of scalar products invariant, can be lifted to either a unitary or an antiunitary operator on Hilbert space. The time reversal operator must be realized as an antiunitary operator in order for the Hamiltonian to remain bounded from below and maintain
dyn
Hi. I'm confused about the action of the complex conjugate operator and time reversal operator on kets.
I know K(a |α > ) = a* K | α > but what is the action of K on | α > where K is the complex conjugation operator ? What is the action of the time reversal operator Θ on a ket , ie. what is Θ | α > ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand the question here, please let me know if your question is different than the one I'm about to answer.
The complex conjugate of a ket vector is defined to be the corresponding bra vector, therefore K|a> would be equal to <a|. Just take the complex conjugate and turn the column vector into a row vector.
The action of the time reversal operator would depend on the time dependence of the state. I can't say much more than that it would reverse the time evolution of the state represented by the ket vector - by definition.

By complex conjugate operator I mean K where the time reversal operator Θ is given by Θ = UK and U is a unitary operator

The action of the complex conjugate operator ## K ## is basis dependent. If you choose a basis containing ##| \alpha \rangle ## (and not ## e^{i \theta }|\alpha \rangle ## for any nontrivial ## \theta ##), then ## K ## does nothing to ## | \alpha \rangle ##.

Thanks. So the complex conjugate operator does nothing to kets ; what about the time reversal operator ? How does that affect kets ?

A complex-conjugate operator makes only sense if defined for a fixed orthonormal basis. By definition it doesn't change these basis vectors.

There's no such problem with the general coordinate free definition of an antilinear operator. It just fulfills for any linear combination of vectors
$$\hat{A} (\lambda_1 |\psi_1 \rangle + \lambda_2 \psi_2 \rangle = \lambda_1^* \hat{A} |\psi_1 \rangle + \lambda_2^* \hat{A} |\psi_2 \rangle.$$
An antilinear operator is called antiunitary if it fulfills in addition
$$\langle \hat{A} \psi_1|\hat{A} \psi_2 \rangle=\langle \psi_1|\psi_2 \rangle^*=\langle \psi_2|\psi_1 \rangle.$$
Wigner's theorem tells you that a symmetry in quantum theory (acting in the space of states, i.e., a projective Hilbert space), which keeps the moduli of scalar products invariant, can be lifted either to a unitary or an antiunitary operator on Hilbert space.

For a very detailed proof, see

Gottfried, Quantum Mechanics vol. I, 1st edition

Unfortunately this very nice proof is spoiled in the 2nd edition :-(.

Thanks. How does the time reversal operator affect kets in general ?
Can i also check I have the following correct where | + > is the eigenvalue for the Sz operator.
Θ e- iπ Sy | + > = - e+ iπ Sy Θ | + >
As Θ and Sy anticommute and Θ takes the complex conjugate but I'm not sure about this last point as the exponential is an operator not just a number ?

Could someone please tell me what Θ e- i π Sy is when the order of the time reversal operator and the exponential operator are reversed. I know Θ and Sy anticommute so it picks up a negative sign but as Θ is antiunitary does it cause the i in the exponential to change sign ?

Let ##\alpha \in \mathbb{R}##. The exponential function is defined by its Taylor series
$$\exp(-\mathrm{i} \alpha S_y)=1+(-\mathrm{i} \alpha) S_y +\frac{(\mathrm{i} \alpha)^2 S_y^2}{2!} + \frac{(-\mathrm{i} \alpha)^3 S_y^3}{3!} + \cdots$$
Now ##\Theta## anticommutes with each factor ##(-\mathrm{i} \alpha)## and with each factor ##S_y##. So bringing the time-reversal operator ##\Theta## from the very left to the very right of each of the terms you have always an even number of factors ##(-1)## and thus nothing happens, i.e., you have
$$\Theta \exp(-\mathrm{i} \alpha S_y)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \alpha S_y) \Theta.$$
This must be so, because a rotation doesn't change due to time reversals, i.e., you must have
$$\Theta \exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{\phi} \vec{S}) \Theta^{-1}=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{\phi} \vec{S}),$$
because in the time-reversed world time translations flip sign while spatial translations stay the same.

The same group-theoretical arguments lead also to the demand that ##\Theta## must be antiunitary, i.e., time-reversal must be realized as an antiunitary transformation. The same holds for space-time translations, i.e., under time reversal you must have for the energy and momentum
$$\Theta \mathrm{i} H \Theta^{-1}=-\mathrm{i} H, \quad \Theta \mathrm{i} \vec{p} \Theta^{-1}=+\mathrm{i} \vec{p}. \qquad (*)$$
Now energy is special. In order to have a stable ground state of your system the Hamiltonian must be bounded from below. So if the time-reversal operator is supposed to exist for your quantum system with ##H## also ##\Theta H \Theta^{-1}## must bebounded from below. To get this consistent with the symmetry property of ##\Theta## it thus must be realized as anti-unitary operator, because only then you get from the symmetry property (*) that
$$\Theta H \Theta^{-1}=+H,$$
i.e., the correct property that in the time-reflected system ##H## stays bounded from below.

Likes dyn
Thanks for all your replies and especially vanhees71. That last post of yours was very helpful and cleared up a lot of points for me !

[QUOTE="vanhees71, post: 5566235, member: 260864" In order to have a stable ground state of your system the Hamiltonian must be bounded from below. [/QUOTE]

Just one remark to your very nice explanation. As far as I understood, the requirement that energy be bounded from below and not from above is rather a convention than a physical necessity. The stability of the states depends rather on their entropy than their energy. Now entropy would remain invariant if we both change the sign of E and T. At the time when Wigner pondered about time reversal invariance, negative temperatures were probably not an option, but nowadays negative temperatures are quite a common concept in spin systems where energy is bounded both from below and from above.

Likes vanhees71
Truecrimson said:
The action of the complex conjugate operator ## K ## is basis dependent. If you choose a basis containing ##| \alpha \rangle ## (and not ## e^{i \theta }|\alpha \rangle ## for any nontrivial ## \theta ##), then ## K ## does nothing to ## | \alpha \rangle ##.
can you elaborate a little more?
What if the ket alpha is like [1 , i ], a basis state, would the complex conjugate operator act on such a state?

A very nice discussion of everything in the thread above is given by Sakurai in his 1993 edition of Mod. Qu. Mech. For the complex conjugation operator, see the text starting with Eq. (4.4.14) through (4.4.20). And then for time reversal, see Eqs. (4.4.62) - (4.4.65). The background on spin 1/2 rotations is in Eqs. (3.2.42) - (3.2.52).

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate, also known as a conjugate pair, is a pair of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

2. What is the significance of complex conjugates in mathematics?

Complex conjugates are useful in many areas of mathematics, particularly in complex analysis and signal processing. They allow for simplification of equations and help to find roots of complex polynomials.

3. What is the time reversal operator?

The time reversal operator is a mathematical operation that reverses the direction of time in a physical system. It is represented by a symbol that looks like a mirror image of the letter T.

4. How is the time reversal operator related to complex conjugates?

The time reversal operator is closely related to complex conjugates through the concept of symmetry. In quantum mechanics, the time reversal operator is used to represent the symmetry of a system, and complex conjugates play a role in the time reversal of wave functions.

5. What are the applications of complex conjugates and the time reversal operator?

Complex conjugates and the time reversal operator have various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and the study of symmetry in physical systems.