Vector operator acting on a ket gives a ket out of the state space

In summary, a linear operator in quantum mechanics, represented by the symbol ##A##, is a mathematical object that maps one state ket ##|\psi\rangle## to another state ket ##|\psi'\rangle##, and this mapping is linear. In addition, vector operators, such as the position operator ##\hat{r}##, are sets of three operators that act on a ket to produce a Cartesian vector of kets. These operators have a commutation relation with the total-angular-momentum operators and are usually involved in dot products, rather than being applied directly. However, when mixing our 3D physical world with the Hilbert space of quantum states, vector operators may appear in calculations.
Kashmir
Definition of linear operator in quantum mechanics
"A linear operator ##A## associates with every ket ##|\psi\rangle \in
\mathcal{E}## another ket ##\left|\psi^{'}\right\rangle \in\mathcal{E}##, the correspondence being linear"

We also have vector operators ##\hat{A}## (such as a position operator ##\hat{r}## )

##\hat{A}=\left(\begin{array}{l}\hat{A}_{1} \\ \hat{A}_{2} \\ \hat{A}_{3}\end{array}\right)##their action on ket is :
##\hat{A}|u\rangle=\left(\begin{array}{c}\hat{A}_{1}|u\rangle \\ \hat{A}_{2}|u\rangle \\ \hat{A}_{3}|u\rangle\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c}\left|u_{1}\right\rangle \\ \left|u_{2}\right\rangle \\ \left|u_{3}\right\rangle\end{array}\right)##

But this operator upon acting on a ket didn't give another ket belonging to the same space.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
We also have vector operators
Vector operators are not single operators. They are sets of three operators. Each of the three operators acting on a ket gives another ket in the state space.

Likes Kashmir, topsquark and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Vector operators are not single operators. They are sets of three operators. Each of the three operators acting on a ket gives another ket in the state space.
So one cannot call the set of operator itself as an operator?

Kashmir said:
So one cannot call the set of operator itself as an operator?
The term "vector operator" means "a set of 3 operators".

Likes Kashmir, vanhees71 and topsquark
It's a set of three operators ##\hat{V}_i## that has the commutation relation
$$[\hat{V}_i,\hat{J}_j]=\mathrm{i} \epsilon_{ijk} \hbar \hat{V}_k$$
with the total-angular-momentum operators ##\hat{J}_j##. The Einstein summation convention applies here.

It's easy to prove that for finite rotations, represented by the unitary operator
$$\hat{U}(\vec{n},\varphi) = \exp(-\mathrm{i} \varphi \vec{n} \cdot \hat{\vec{J}}/\hbar),$$
you get
$$\hat{U}(\vec{n},\varphi) \hat{V}_j \hat{U}^{\dagger}(\vec{n},\varphi)=R_{jk}(\vec{n},\varphi) \hat{V}_k.$$
Here ##R_{jk}(\vec{n},\varphi)## is the rotation matrix for a rotation by an angle, ##\varphi##, around the axis given by the unit vector ##\vec{n}##.

Important examples are, of course, the position and momentum operators ##\hat{x}_i## and ##\hat{p}_i## and the angular momentum operators ##\hat{J}_i## themselves.

Likes topsquark and Kashmir
vanhees71 said:
It's a set of three operators ##\hat{V}_i## that has the commutation relation
$$[\hat{V}_i,\hat{J}_j]=\mathrm{i} \epsilon_{ijk} \hbar \hat{V}_k$$
with the total-angular-momentum operators ##\hat{J}_j##. The Einstein summation convention applies here.

It's easy to prove that for finite rotations, represented by the unitary operator
$$\hat{U}(\vec{n},\varphi) = \exp(-\mathrm{i} \varphi \vec{n} \cdot \hat{\vec{J}}/\hbar),$$
you get
$$\hat{U}(\vec{n},\varphi) \hat{V}_j \hat{U}^{\dagger}(\vec{n},\varphi)=R_{jk}(\vec{n},\varphi) \hat{V}_k.$$
Here ##R_{jk}(\vec{n},\varphi)## is the rotation matrix for a rotation by an angle, ##\varphi##, around the axis given by the unit vector ##\vec{n}##.

Important examples are, of course, the position and momentum operators ##\hat{x}_i## and ##\hat{p}_i## and the angular momentum operators ##\hat{J}_i## themselves.
so when we apply such a " vector operator " we actually mean three separate operations?

Kashmir said:
so when we apply such a " vector operator " we actually mean three separate operations?
You would get a Cartesian vector of kets,
$$
\hat{\mathbf{J}} = \mathbf{i} \hat{J}_x + \mathbf{j} \hat{J}_y + \mathbf{k} \hat{J}_z
$$
so
$$
\hat{\mathbf{J}} \ket{\phi} = \mathbf{i} \hat{J}_x \ket{\phi} + \mathbf{j} \hat{J}_y \ket{\phi}+ \mathbf{k} \hat{J}_z \ket{\phi}
$$

It is very rare to have to calculate the application of such vector operators directly. They usually appear in dot products, for instance
$$
\hat{J}^2 = \hat{\mathbf{J}} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{J}} = \hat{J}_x^2 + \hat{J}_y^2 + \hat{J}_z^2
$$

Likes topsquark
DrClaude said:
You would get a Cartesian vector of kets,
$$
\hat{\mathbf{J}} = \mathbf{i} \hat{J}_x + \mathbf{j} \hat{J}_y + \mathbf{k} \hat{J}_z
$$
so
$$
\hat{\mathbf{J}} \ket{\phi} = \mathbf{i} \hat{J}_x \ket{\phi} + \mathbf{j} \hat{J}_y \ket{\phi}+ \mathbf{k} \hat{J}_z \ket{\phi}
$$

It is very rare to have to calculate the application of such vector operators directly. They usually appear in dot products, for instance
$$
\hat{J}^2 = \hat{\mathbf{J}} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{J}} = \hat{J}_x^2 + \hat{J}_y^2 + \hat{J}_z^2
$$
You wrote "##\hat{\mathbf{J}} \ket{\phi} = \mathbf{i} \hat{J}_x \ket{\phi} + \mathbf{j} \hat{J}_y \ket{\phi}+ \mathbf{k} \hat{J}_z \ket{\phi}## " on the rhs you've multiplied each ket by a euclidean vector which isn't an element of the field over which our ket space lies.

Can you please elaborate on that.

Last edited:
Kashmir said:
You wore "##\hat{\mathbf{J}} \ket{\phi} = \mathbf{i} \hat{J}_x \ket{\phi} + \mathbf{j} \hat{J}_y \ket{\phi}+ \mathbf{k} \hat{J}_z \ket{\phi}## " on the rhs you've multiplied each ket by a euclidean vector which isn't an element of the field over which our ket space lies.

Can you please elaborate on that.
It is what happens when you mix our 3D physical world with the Hilbert space of quantum states. Yes, ##\hat{\mathbf{J}} \ket{\psi}## doesn't correspond to a state ket, but it is not something that appears by itself in QM.

Likes topsquark
It's just a short-hand notation for three kets you get by operating with each of the ##\hat{J}_k## operators on that ket.

Further the kets are NOT the wave functions but abstract operators in an abstract Hilbert space. The wave functions are the "components" wrt. to the generalized position-operator eigenvectors, ##|\vec{x} \rangle##, which are the common eigenvectors of the three components of the position operator ##\hat{x}_j##. The wave function related to the state ket ##|\psi(t) \rangle## is
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x}|\psi(t) \rangle,$$
where I assumed that we use the Schrödinger picture of time evolution.

Likes Kashmir and topsquark
vanhees71 said:
It's just a short-hand notation for three kets you get by operating with each of the ##\hat{J}_k## operators on that ket.

Further the kets are NOT the wave functions but abstract operators in an abstract Hilbert space. The wave functions are the "components" wrt. to the generalized position-operator eigenvectors, ##|\vec{x} \rangle##, which are the common eigenvectors of the three components of the position operator ##\hat{x}_j##. The wave function related to the state ket ##|\psi(t) \rangle## is
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x}|\psi(t) \rangle,$$
where I assumed that we use the Schrödinger picture of time evolution.
"Further the kets are NOT the wave functions but abstract operators in an abstract Hilbert space".

Aren't Kets vectors of Hilbert space rather than operators?

Likes vanhees71
Of course, it must read "abstract vectors". Sorry for the confusion.

Likes Kashmir

1. What is a vector operator?

A vector operator is a mathematical object that operates on a vector, resulting in another vector. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and momentum.

2. What does it mean for a vector operator to act on a ket?

When a vector operator acts on a ket, it means that the operator is applied to the vector represented by the ket. This results in a new vector that is also represented by a ket.

3. What is a ket in the context of vector operators?

In quantum mechanics, a ket is a mathematical representation of a quantum state. It is a vector in a complex vector space that represents the state of a quantum system.

4. How does a vector operator acting on a ket give a ket out of the state space?

A vector operator acting on a ket can result in a ket that is outside of the original state space if the operator is not Hermitian. This means that the resulting ket may not represent a physically possible state of the system.

5. Can a vector operator acting on a ket change the state of the system?

Yes, a vector operator acting on a ket can change the state of the system. This is because the operator can change the values of the vector components, resulting in a new vector that represents a different state of the system.