Complex conjugate of an inner product

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to solve a problem, but they don't understand what they are doing.
Pablo315
Hi everyone.

Yesterday I had an exam, and I spent half the exam trying to solve this question.

Show that ##\left\langle\Psi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle =\left\langle \phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\Psi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle##

However, I don't see how that is true. If we choose ##\Psi\left(\vec{r}\right)=i\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)##

then

##\left\langle \Psi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle =\left\langle i\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle =-i\left\langle \phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle ##

and

##\left\langle \phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\Psi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle =\left\langle \phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|i\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle =i\left\langle \phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle ##

which clearly aren't the same. Am I missing something here?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, that should be
$$
\left\langle\Psi\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\right\rangle =\left\langle \phi\right|\hat{p}_{y}^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle^*
$$
Only if ##|\Psi\rangle = |\phi\rangle## do you get
$$
\left\langle\Psi\right|\hat{p_{y}^{2}}\left|\phi\right\rangle =\left\langle \phi\right|\hat{p}_{y}^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle
$$
as ##\hat{p}_{y}^{2}## is Hermitian.

Note also that the notation ##\left|\phi\left(\vec{r}\right)\right\rangle## doesn't make sense. A ket is an abstract vector, not a wave function. You then have
$$
\phi(\mathbf{r}) = \langle \mathbf{r} | \phi \rangle
$$

Yes, that is exactly what I thought.

Thank you very much.

1. What is the definition of a complex conjugate of an inner product?

The complex conjugate of an inner product is a mathematical operation that involves taking the complex conjugate of one of the vectors in the inner product, while leaving the other vector unchanged. This operation is used to find the complex conjugate of the inner product, which is a complex number.

2. How is the complex conjugate of an inner product calculated?

The complex conjugate of an inner product is calculated by taking the complex conjugate of one of the vectors in the inner product, and then multiplying it by the other vector. This will result in a complex number that is the complex conjugate of the inner product.

3. What is the significance of the complex conjugate of an inner product?

The complex conjugate of an inner product is significant because it allows us to find the complex conjugate of a complex number. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, including quantum mechanics and signal processing.

4. How is the complex conjugate of an inner product used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the complex conjugate of an inner product is used to calculate the probability of a quantum state collapsing into a particular state. This is known as the Born rule, and it is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

5. Can the complex conjugate of an inner product be used for real numbers?

Yes, the complex conjugate of an inner product can be used for real numbers. This is because real numbers can be considered as complex numbers with a zero imaginary part. Therefore, taking the complex conjugate of a real number will result in the same number.