Complex contour integral proof

GGGGc
Homework Statement
How can I show that from the contour C_N (I’ve attached) that absolute value of cot(pi*z) is less than or equal to 0 everywhere on vertical parts of C_N and less than or equal to a value everywhere on the horizontal parts?
Relevant Equations
|a+b|<=|a|+|b|
|a-b|>=|a|-|b|
I’ve attached my attempt. I’ve tried to use triangle inequality formula to attempt, but it seems I got the value which is larger than 1. Which step am I wrong? Also, it seems I cannot neglect the minus sign in front of e^(N+1/2)*2pi. How can I deal with that?

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
Physics news on Phys.org
You got as far as [tex]
|\cot \pi z | = \left|\frac{e^{2i\pi z} + 1}{e^{2i\pi z} - 1} \right| = \left|
\frac{e^{2i\pi x}e^{-2\pi y} + 1}{e^{2i\pi x}e^{-2\pi y} - 1}\right| [/tex] Why not go further? Multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. Then you can easily write down the exact value of [itex]|\cot \pi z|^2[/itex], and at that point you can start trying to bound it on each side of the contour.

Or write [tex]
|\cot \pi z| = \frac{|e^{2i\pi x} + e^{2\pi y}|}{|e^{2i\pi x} - e^{2\pi y}|}[/tex] and then you can obtain an upper bound by maximizing the distance between [itex]e^{2i\pi x}[/itex] and [itex]-e^{2\pi y}[/itex] in the numerator and mimizing the distance between [itex]e^{2i\pi x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{2\pi y}[/itex] in the denominator.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex contour integral proof?

A complex contour integral proof is a mathematical technique used to prove certain theorems in complex analysis. It involves integrating a complex-valued function along a curve or contour in the complex plane.

2. How is a complex contour integral calculated?

A complex contour integral is calculated by parameterizing the contour, substituting the parameterization into the integrand, and then integrating with respect to the parameter. The result is a complex number that represents the value of the integral.

3. What are some applications of complex contour integral proofs?

Complex contour integral proofs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving complex functions. They are particularly useful in evaluating complex integrals and solving differential equations.

4. What are some common contour integrals used in complex analysis?

Some common contour integrals used in complex analysis include the line integral, the circle integral, and the contour integral around a pole or branch point. These integrals are often used to evaluate complex functions and prove theorems.

5. Are there any special techniques for evaluating complex contour integrals?

Yes, there are several special techniques for evaluating complex contour integrals, such as Cauchy's integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques can simplify the calculation of complex integrals and make proofs more efficient.