Complex exponentials - homework

In summary, the problem is to find a complex number z = a+i*b such that f(t)=Re e^(z*t) where f(t)=cos(2*pi*t). The conversation provides hints on how to approach the problem, such as using the fact that t is a real variable and setting e^(at)*cos(b) equal to cos(2*pi*t). The final statement indicates that the problem has been solved.
Poetria
Thread moved from the technical Math forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Could you give me a hint how to attack this problem?

Find a complex number z = a+i*b such that f(t)=Re e^(z*t) where f(t)=cos(2*pi*t)

I have begun as follows:

e^((a+i*b)*t)=e^(a*t)*(cos(b)+i*sin(b))

Re e^(z*t)= e^(a*t)*cos(b)

What to do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, ##t## is real? If is yes so you must find ##a,b## from ##e^{at}\cos{b}=cos(2\pi t)## ...

Likes Poetria
Ssnow said:
Hi, ##t## is real? If is yes so you must find ##a,b## from ##e^{at}\cos{b}=cos(2\pi t)## ...

Yes, t is a real variable.I know I must but how? Thank you very much. :)

another hint: ## e^{at}cos{(b)}=e^{0t}cos{(2\pi t)}##, you can read now ##a=...## and ##b=...##

Likes berkeman and Poetria
Ssnow said:
another hint: ## e^{at}cos{(b)}=e^{0t}cos{(2\pi t)}##, you can read now ##a=...## and ##b=...##

Ok, I got it. :) Great. Thank you very much. :)

Likes Ssnow

What are complex exponentials?

Complex exponentials are mathematical expressions of the form eix, where i is the imaginary unit equal to √-1. They can also be written as cos(x) + i sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit and cos(x) and sin(x) represent the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

What is the purpose of using complex exponentials?

Complex exponentials are used to represent and solve problems involving periodic phenomena, such as alternating electrical currents and oscillating systems. They are also useful in solving differential equations, signal processing, and other areas of mathematics and physics.

How do you simplify complex exponential expressions?

To simplify a complex exponential expression, you can use Euler's formula, which states that eix = cos(x) + i sin(x). You can also use properties of exponents, such as ea+b = ea * eb and (ea)b = eab.

What is the difference between a real and complex exponential?

A real exponential only has a real base and exponent, while a complex exponential has a complex base and exponent. Real exponentials result in real numbers, while complex exponentials can result in complex numbers. Additionally, real exponentials follow the rules of exponentiation, while complex exponentials also involve trigonometric functions.

How do you graph complex exponential functions?

To graph a complex exponential function, you can plot points by plugging in different values of x. Since the real and imaginary parts of the complex exponentials are periodic, the graph will repeat itself at regular intervals. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and see its behavior.