How can I use spherical coordinates to simplify the Fourier transform equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier transform equation and expanding the dot product to obtain a sum of terms involving the Yukawa potential. The speaker suggests using integration by parts and provides steps for using spherical coordinates and the gradient in spherical coordinates to solve the problem.
kelly0303
Homework Statement
(This is part of a longer problem) Write the following potential in the momentum space:
$$V(r_1-r_2)=(\vec{\sigma_1}\cdot\vec{\nabla_1})(\vec{\sigma_2}\cdot\vec{\nabla_2})\frac{1}{|\vec{r_2}-\vec{r_1}|}e^{-m|\vec{r_2}-\vec{r_1}|}$$ where ##\sigma## is the Pauli matrix.
Relevant Equations
$$\phi(k)=\frac{1}{(\sqrt{2\pi})^3}\int{\psi(r)e^{-ik\cdot r}}d^3r$$
By applying the Fourier transform equation, and expanding the dot product, I get a sum of terms of the form: $$V(k)=\sigma_1^x\nabla_1^x\sigma_2^y\nabla_2^y\frac{1}{|\vec{r_2}-\vec{r_1}|}e^{-m|\vec{r_2}-\vec{r_1}|}e^{-ik(r_2-r_1)} = \sigma_1^x\sigma_2^y\nabla_1^x\nabla_2^y\frac{1}{|\vec{r_2}-\vec{r_1}|}e^{-m|\vec{r_2}-\vec{r_1}|} e^{-ik(r_2-r_1)} $$ But I don't really know what to do with this. Integration by parts doesn't seem to help too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of things that I think you are needing for this problem:
1) https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...awa-potential-fourier-representation-integral
2) Follow these simple steps if you can:
## \psi(r)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int d^3k \, \hat{\psi}(k) e^{ik \cdot r} ##.
## \nabla \psi(r)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int d^3k \, ik \hat{\psi}(k) e^{ik \cdot r} ##.
This last equation is the result that ## ik \hat{\psi}(k) ## is necessarily the F.T. of ## \nabla \psi ##.
Some additional work might be in order to complete this problem, and I'm not even sure I would know how to finish it up, but perhaps what I gave you will help.

Try using spherical coordinates. In these coordinates ##|r_{1} - r_{2}|^2= |r_{1}|^2 +|r_{2}|^2-2r_{1}r_{2}cos\theta##. Also look up gradient in spherical coordinate.

1. What is a Complex Fourier transform?

A Complex Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a complex-valued function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze signals and systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How is a Complex Fourier transform different from a regular Fourier transform?

A Complex Fourier transform is similar to a regular Fourier transform in that it decomposes a function into its frequency components. However, it differs in that it can handle complex-valued functions, whereas a regular Fourier transform can only handle real-valued functions.

3. What are the applications of Complex Fourier transform?

Complex Fourier transform has a wide range of applications in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is used to analyze the frequency content of signals, remove noise from signals, and extract features from images.

4. How is a Complex Fourier transform calculated?

A Complex Fourier transform is calculated using an integral formula, known as the Fourier integral, which involves multiplying the function by a complex exponential and integrating over the entire domain. This process is repeated for each frequency component to obtain the complete transform.

5. Are there any limitations of Complex Fourier transform?

One limitation of Complex Fourier transform is that it assumes the function is periodic. This may not be true for all functions, and can lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, it may not be suitable for functions with discontinuities or sharp changes, as it may result in artifacts in the transformed signal.