Complex fraction in numerator help?

In summary, the limit of the given expression is -1/9. To calculate it, we first subtracted the two fractions, resulting in (3-(3+h))/(3*(3+h)). Then, we multiplied the numerator by the LCD, 3(3+h), resulting in h/(3(3+h)). Finally, we multiplied the entire expression by 1/h to cancel out the h in the denominator, giving us -1/(3(3+h)). Simplifying further, we get -1/(9+0), which is equal to -1/9.
rebeccacats
1. Evaluate the limit http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP64511d2754i3f4iaefab00001fa62g875680a1ia?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=44&w=125.&h=45.
2. No formulas
3.The answer is -1/9. I have tried multiplying the top by the conjugate but that seems wrong as there are no square roots involved. I just tried making numerator (not sure what that process is called where you multiply the numerator by the other fractions denominator and so on...) into (3-3+h)/(3+h*3) all over h, but that isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rebeccacats said:
1. Evaluate the limit http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP64511d2754i3f4iaefab00001fa62g875680a1ia?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=44&w=125.&h=45.
2. No formulas
3.The answer is -1/9. I have tried multiplying the top by the conjugate but that seems wrong as there are no square roots involved. I just tried making numerator (not sure what that process is called where you multiply the numerator by the other fractions denominator and so on...) into (3-3+h)/(3+h*3) all over h, but that isn't working.

Do what you do in elementary arithmetic when you subtract one fraction from another!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes rebeccacats
The first thing you should do is the subtraction [itex]\frac{1}{3+ h}- \frac{1}{3}[/itex]

Likes rebeccacats
1/3+h - 1/3 --> (3-(3+h))/(3*(3+h))-->h/(3(3+h)) :( ?

rebeccacats said:
1/3+h - 1/3 --> (3-(3+h))/(3*(3+h))-->h/(3(3+h)) :( ?

What happened to the negative sign on h? Also, you dropped an h from the denominator

Likes rebeccacats
I guess it should be distributed after I multiplied by the LCD?

Then I would have -h/(3(3+h)) --> -h/(3(3+h)) *1/h --> -1/(3(3+h)--> -1/(9+0)--> -1/9

You have got the right idea, calculation and result now.
If this is homework you are only nearly there - write this fairly short calculation up according to the pattern of argument you must have been taught or illustrated I.e. this gets by us because 'we know what you mean'.

What is a complex fraction?

A complex fraction is a fraction where either the numerator or denominator (or both) contains another fraction or expression. For example, 3/4 + 1/2x is a complex fraction.

How do I simplify a complex fraction?

To simplify a complex fraction, you first need to find a common denominator for all the fractions within the numerator and denominator. Then, you can combine the fractions and simplify the resulting fraction as you would a regular fraction.

Can I convert a complex fraction into a mixed number?

Yes, it is possible to convert a complex fraction into a mixed number. First, simplify the complex fraction as described above. Then, divide the numerator by the denominator. The quotient will be the whole number part of the mixed number, and the remainder will be the numerator of the fractional part.

Are there any rules for operating with complex fractions?

Yes, there are rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing complex fractions. For example, when adding or subtracting, you must first find a common denominator before combining the fractions. When multiplying, you can simply multiply the numerators and denominators. And when dividing, you must invert the second fraction and then multiply as you would with regular fractions.

How can complex fractions be used in real life?

Complex fractions are often used in practical applications, such as in cooking and in finance. For example, when doubling a recipe, you may need to use a complex fraction to adjust the ingredient amounts. In finance, complex fractions are used to calculate interest rates and investments.