Complex number and its conjugate problem help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of a complex number z and its conjugate, z¯, given that they satisfy the equation z¯z¯ + zi = -i +1. The solution involves substituting z=x+iy into the equation and solving for x and y. The conversation also clarifies that z¯z¯ is not equivalent to |z|2.
blckndglxy

Homework Statement

Given that a complex number z and its conjugate z¯ satisfy the equation z¯z¯ + zi = -i +1. Find the values of z.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I think z.z-=1 but what's with the zi thing. Can you upload the picture of your question? Its not clear enough.

blckndglxy said:

Homework Statement

Given that a complex number z and its conjugate z¯ satisfy the equation z¯z¯ + zi = -i +1. Find the values of z.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi blckndglxy, welcome to PF.

You have to show some attempt at solving the problem. Write z as z=x+iy, substitute into the equation z¯z¯ + zi = -i +1 and solve.

Likes Bibatshu Thapa
Bibatshu Thapa said:
Hey, I think z.z-=1 but what's with the zi thing. Can you upload the picture of your question? Its not clear enough.
You are not right, z.z- = |z|2, square of the magnitude of z. zi is z multiplied by i.

ehild said:

You have to show some attempt at solving the problem. Write z as z=x+iy, substitute into the equation z¯z¯ + zi = -i +1 and solve.
hello there.. so z¯ = x-iy right? so i have to replace the z¯ too right? sorry I'm still new and I'm clueless with this question..

blckndglxy said:
hello there.. so z¯ = x-iy right? so i have to replace the z¯ too right? sorry I'm still new and I'm clueless with this question..
Yes. Replace z with x+iy and z- with x-iy.

blckndglxy said:
Writing ##z = x+iy## and ##bar{z} = x - iy##, your equation becomes
$$|z|^2 = 1 - i - zi$$.
Can you see how the value of ##x## can be determined right away from this equation? That leaves you with the simpler problem of finding ##y##.

Ray Vickson said:
Writing ##z = x+iy## and ##bar{z} = x - iy##, your equation becomes
$$|z|^2 = 1 - i - zi$$.
The original equation is z¯z¯ + zi = -i +1. z¯z¯ is not |z|2,

ehild said:

Thanks a lot. Well I had forgotten the fact you mentioned. Really HELPFUL!

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the imaginary unit i.

2. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the complex number a - bi. This means that the sign of the imaginary part is changed. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

3. How do I find the conjugate of a complex number?

To find the conjugate of a complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. If the imaginary part is positive, make it negative and if it is negative, make it positive.

4. Why is the conjugate important in complex number problems?

The conjugate is important in complex number problems because it allows us to simplify and manipulate complex numbers in order to solve equations and perform operations. It also helps us find the magnitude and angle of a complex number in polar form.

5. How do I use the conjugate to divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, we use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the expression. This means that we multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator. This will eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator, making it easier to perform division.