Complex number/Argand diagram questions.

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is taking an engineering course and has a question related to complex numbers in a circuit. The question asks to sketch phasors on an argand diagram, find the phase difference between voltage and current, and calculate power. The student is unsure of how to plot the phasors on the same diagram and if the values given are the final resultants. They also question how to deal with different scales for voltage and current. The conversation concludes with the student seeking clarification and help on the problem.
braceman
Hi all,

I'm doing an engineering course and have a question that's kinda stumped me.
I'm not going to post the actual question as i prefer to try and work it out myself...I've managed everything else so far,,,just this one is proving a bit of a noggin-scratcher...I just need a few questions answering/pointers in the right direction!

Homework Statement

:[/B]

The question stated that the pd across a circuit is given by two complex numbers, one for Voltage, one for current.

Homework Equations

It asks to
a. 'sketch the appropriate phasors on an argand diagram'
b. Find the phase difference between the phasors for V and I
c. find the power from another given equation. (p=V x I x cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Questions as follows-

none of the circuit components/values are stated so I'm presuming the quoted complex numbers are the final resultants...if so then is it as simple as just plotting the phasor diagram and then converting to polar form to get the phase angles, from which they can be subtracted to get the V and I phase difference?

As both V and I have phase angles how are these plotted on the same argand diagram?? - I've read that one has to be the 'reference' phasor running along the x axis..if so and it's plotted on the 0 phase angle, do we take it's 'real' phase angle into account when plotting the other phasor?
For example - if V has 20° lead, and I has 10° lead, if we use I as ref do we plot V at 10° (20 - 10)?? (as I's lead would be from starting from 'under' the X axis at this point).
Or do we just leave a ref out as they both have phase angles and just take them both from the X-axis?
I've tried looking up argands for combined V and I plots but can't find anything decent.
How can we actually plot V and I together if , for example V is few hundred volts but I is in miliamps? Can they actually BE plotted together on the same diagram in a case like this?
Any links or examples would be gratefully appreciated.

Finally, is it as simple as taking the phase angle and 'plugging it in' with the relevant V and I?

I'm slightly worried as this is how I would have worked out the phase differences and power, but it seem a bit ...'too easy'.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
braceman said:
Hi all,

I'm doing an engineering course and have a question that's kinda stumped me.
I'm not going to post the actual question as i prefer to try and work it out myself...I've managed everything else so far,,,just this one is proving a bit of a noggin-scratcher...I just need a few questions answering/pointers in the right direction!

Homework Statement

The question stated that the pd across a circuit is given by two complex numbers, one for Voltage, one for current.

Homework Equations

It asks to
a. 'sketch the appropriate phasors on an argand diagram'
b. Find the phase difference between the phasors for V and I
c. find the power from another given equation. (p=V x I x cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Questions as follows-

none of the circuit components/values are stated so I'm presuming the quoted complex numbers are the final resultants...if so then is it as simple as just plotting the phasor diagram and then converting to polar form to get the phase angles, from which they can be subtracted to get the V and I phase difference?

As both V and I have phase angles how are these plotted on the same argand diagram?? - I've read that one has to be the 'reference' phasor running along the x axis..if so and it's plotted on the 0 phase angle, do we take it's 'real' phase angle into account when plotting the other phasor?
For example - if V has 20° lead, and I has 10° lead, if we use I as ref do we plot V at 10° (20 - 10)?? (as I's lead would be from starting from 'under' the X axis at this point).
Or do we just leave a ref out as they both have phase angles and just take them both from the X-axis?
I've tried looking up argands for combined V and I plots but can't find anything decent.
How can we actually plot V and I together if , for example V is few hundred volts but I is in miliamps? Can they actually BE plotted together on the same diagram in a case like this?
Any links or examples would be gratefully appreciated.

Finally, is it as simple as taking the phase angle and 'plugging it in' with the relevant V and I?

I'm slightly worried as this is how I would have worked out the phase differences and power, but it seem a bit ...'too easy'.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

If you also had the source voltage, you could plot that on the x-axis as a reference, but it sounds like you have been given the final voltage and current phasors, so just plot them both on the same polar complex plot. Don't worry about the scales being different -- you could always show a dual scale for the x & y axes if you needed to.

And yes, it does sound like you are given enough information so that the solution of the problem is pretty simple, I believe. This link may be helpful (the phasor discussion is near the end):

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/complex-numbers.html

:smile:

Related to Complex number/Argand diagram questions.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What is the Argand diagram and how is it used to represent complex numbers?

The Argand diagram is a geometric representation of complex numbers. The real part of a complex number is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. This allows for visualizing and performing operations on complex numbers.

How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to add (2 + 3i) and (4 + 5i), you would add 2 and 4 to get the real part, and add 3i and 5i to get the imaginary part. The result would be 6 + 8i.

What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. In other words, the conjugate of a complex number has the same real part, but the imaginary part is multiplied by -1. This is useful for dividing complex numbers.

How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like multiplying binomials. To divide complex numbers, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, and then simplify the result.