Complex Number Orthonormal Basis.

In summary, the task is to find an orthonormal basis for P2(ℂ) with respect to the given inner product. The conversation discusses the confusion of choosing the starting vectors and the possibility of using the usual basis {x^2, x, 1} to show orthogonality.
trap101
Find an orthonormal basis for P2(ℂ) with respect to the inner product:

<p(x),q(x)> = p(0)q(0) + p(i)q(i) + p(2i)q(2i) the q(x) functions are suppose to be the conjugates I just don't know how to write it on the computer

Attempt:

This is where I'm having trouble. So usually I'm given a set of basis vectors, then I would apply the gram schmidt process to them. But this is throwing me for a loop. I know that the inner product of the two vectors is going to have to equate 0. But how do I choose vectors to start? I assume it wouldn't be fair to choose the standard basis vectors of P2 and just normalize them. In fact I don't even think that would produce the necessary condition for them to be orthogonal. I'm stuck. Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Find an orthonormal basis for P2(ℂ) with respect to the inner product:

<p(x),q(x)> = p(0)q(0) + p(i)q(i) + p(2i)q(2i) the q(x) functions are suppose to be the conjugates I just don't know how to write it on the computer

Attempt:

This is where I'm having trouble. So usually I'm given a set of basis vectors, then I would apply the gram schmidt process to them. But this is throwing me for a loop. I know that the inner product of the two vectors is going to have to equate 0. But how do I choose vectors to start? I assume it wouldn't be fair to choose the standard basis vectors of P2 and just normalize them. In fact I don't even think that would produce the necessary condition for them to be orthogonal. I'm stuck. Help.

It is fair to choose the usual basis {x^2,x,1} and show they are orthogonal. Why not?

What is a complex number orthonormal basis?

A complex number orthonormal basis is a set of complex numbers that can be used to represent any other complex number in a unique way. These basis vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a length of 1, making them orthonormal.

How is a complex number orthonormal basis useful?

A complex number orthonormal basis is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and engineering. It allows for the simplification of complex calculations and makes it easier to represent and manipulate complex numbers.

How do you find a complex number orthonormal basis?

A complex number orthonormal basis can be found using a process called Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization. This involves starting with a set of linearly independent complex numbers and then applying a series of transformations to make them orthogonal and orthonormal.

Can a complex number orthonormal basis have more than two dimensions?

Yes, a complex number orthonormal basis can have any number of dimensions. In fact, in most cases, it will have more than two dimensions. The number of dimensions is equal to the number of basis vectors in the set.

What is the relationship between a complex number orthonormal basis and the complex plane?

A complex number orthonormal basis can be thought of as a coordinate system in the complex plane. Each basis vector represents a different axis, and any complex number can be represented as a unique combination of these basis vectors. This allows for a simple and efficient way to describe complex numbers graphically.