Complex number problem with trig functions

In summary, the problem is to find the second derivative and both complex number forms for the expression (1+icos(x))/(1-icos(y)). The given equations are z=a+bi and re^itheta. The attempt at a solution involved multiplying both sides by 1+icosy and breaking the fraction into real and imaginary parts, but the trig identities used did not lead to a solution. The next steps may involve finding the second derivative and expressing it in terms of z and polar representations.
SlushmanIU

Homework Statement

Find d^2/dx^2 and both complex number forms for the complex number equation (1+icos(x))/(1-icos(y))[/B]

Homework Equations

1. z=a+bi
2. re^itheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I have multiplied both sides by 1+icosy and gotten as far as (1+icosx+icosy-cosxcosy)/(1+cos^2y) but am going in circles after that. None of the trig identities seem to get me anywhere either.

Physics news on Phys.org
SlushmanIU said:

Homework Statement

[/b]
Find d^2/dx^2 and both complex number forms for the complex number equation (1+icos(x))/(1-icos(y))
That's an expression, not an equation. There's no equal sign.

Homework Equations

1. z=a+bi
2. re^itheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I have multiplied both sides by 1+icosy and gotten as far as (1+icosx+icosy-cosxcosy)/(1+cos^2y) but am going in circles after that. None of the trig identities seem to get me anywhere either.
Multiplied both sides of what? Which problem are you trying to solve first?

Is the problem asking you to express the ##\frac {d^2}{dx^2} ## in terms of z and polar representations?
Are you starting with ##g : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{C} : g(x,y) = \frac{ 1 + i cos x }{1-i cos y}=z ##?
The second derivative should be straightforward.
If you are simply trying to get into a : z = a+bi : form, your first attempt is sufficient to break the fraction into real (a) and imaginary (b).

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter 'i', and is defined as the square root of -1. The general form of a complex number is a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How are complex numbers used in trigonometry?

Complex numbers are used in trigonometry to represent points on the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional graph where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships to each other.

3. Can trigonometric functions be applied to complex numbers?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be applied to complex numbers. The most common trigonometric functions used with complex numbers are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to find the magnitude and angle of a complex number on the complex plane.

4. What is the relationship between complex numbers and exponential functions?

There is a close relationship between complex numbers and exponential functions. This is because complex numbers can be written in the form of an exponential function, such as e^ix, where i represents the imaginary unit. This connection is known as Euler's formula and is often used in solving complex number problems involving trigonometric functions.

5. How can complex numbers be used to solve trigonometric equations?

Complex numbers can be used to solve trigonometric equations by converting the equations into their complex form and then using algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variable. This method is especially useful for solving equations involving trigonometric functions raised to a power, such as sine squared or cosine cubed.