Complex numbers. Imaginary part

So, in particular, the imaginary part of \frac{1}{z_1} is \frac{-y}{x^2+y^2}. Similarily, the imaginary part of \frac{1}{z_2}= \frac{1}{x-iy} is \frac{y}{x^2+y^2}. Now, let z= \frac{1}{z_1}= \frac{1}{x+iy} and z_2= \frac{1}{z_2}= \frac{1}{x-iy}. The imaginary part of z_2 is \frac{-y}{x^2+y^2} (which is the same as the imaginary part of
fannemel
z1 = x + iy
z2 = x - iy
(Complex conjugate)

Find:
Im (1/z1)

This is what I have tried to do:

(1) z1*z2 = x^2 + y^2

(2) z2 / (x^2 + y^2) = 1 / z1

The answer is:
-y / (x^2 + y^2) = I am (1 / z1)

So my question is:
Can I change z2 to I am (z2) and z1 to I am (z1) in equation (2)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They want the coefficient of i or Im(1/z)

i.e [tex]\frac{1}{x+iy}[/tex]

What was/are ur thoughts?

oops, read another post and found that it would be wise to post my work. And i reckoned that no-one would have had the time to reply so i just edited my post.

But do my new post clarify anything?

No u can't change them that ways. It will defy all the properties of complex number

fannemel,
I think your work is correct. Because, if 2 numbers are equal, then their imaginary parts are equal.

Yes, fannemel, you are entirely correct. Given z = x + iy, Im(1/z) is indeed -y / (x^2 + y^2).

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Yes, fannemel, you are entirely correct. Given z = x + iy, Im(1/z) is indeed -y / (x^2 + y^2).

- Warren

His Questions is
So my question is:
Can I change z2 to I am (z2) and z1 to I am (z1) in equation (2)?

i.e.
[tex]\frac{Im_{z2}}{x^2 + y^2} = \frac{1}{Im_{z1}}[/tex]
Which is not true

Last edited:
what about
[tex]\frac{Im_{z2}}{x^2 + y^2} = I am [\frac{1}{z1}][/tex]

Would that be any better?

For me that would equal:

[tex]{\frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2} = I am [\frac{1}{z1}][/tex]
since [tex]Im_{z2} = -y [/tex]

Last edited:
Yes that is absolutely correct. You get the imaginary part of the reciprocal of z1, not z1

what about
[tex]\frac{Im{z_2}}{x^2 + y^2} = I am [\frac{1}{z1}][/tex]
Would that be any better?

For me that would equal:
[tex]{\frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2} = I am [\frac{1}{z1}][/tex]
since
[tex]Im{z_2} = -y [/tex]

That is true because [tex]x^2+ y^2[/tex] is a real number.
In general you cannot get the imaginary part of a number computed by a formula just by replacing each number in the formula by its imaginary part.

It would be far better for you to replace [tex]z_1[/tex] and [tex]z_2[/tex] by x+iy and x-iy right from the start:

[tex]\frac{1}{z_1}= \frac{1}{x+iy}[/tex]. Now multiply both numerator and denominator by x- iy to get [tex]\frac{(1)(x- iy)}{(x+iy)(x-iy)}= \frac{x- iy}{x^2+ y^2}= \(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}\)-\(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}\)i[/tex] so that it is obvious that the real part is [tex]\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}[/tex] and the imaginary part is [tex]\frac{-y}{x^2+y^2}[/tex].

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers are the numbers we use in everyday life, such as 1, 2, -3, 0. They can be plotted on a number line. Imaginary numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that involve the square root of -1, which cannot be plotted on a number line. They are written in the form bi, where b is a real number and i is the imaginary unit.

3. Why are complex numbers useful?

Complex numbers are useful in many fields of science and mathematics, such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used to solve equations that involve square roots of negative numbers, and they can also be used to represent and manipulate quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as electrical currents and forces.

4. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 4i) = (3 + 1) + (2i + 4i) = 4 + 6i.

5. What does the imaginary part of a complex number represent?

The imaginary part of a complex number represents the magnitude and direction of the imaginary unit, i. It is also known as the "y-coordinate" in the complex plane, where the real part is the "x-coordinate". Together, they form a coordinate system that can be used to represent and visualize complex numbers.