Complex numbers in trigonometry form

Remember that the angles are measured from the positive real axis in a counter-clockwise direction.In summary, to write down the complex numbers 1+i and 1+i\sqrt{3} in trigonometry form, you can use the equations \rho=|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} and \varphi=arctg\frac{y}{x} to find the modulus and argument of the numbers. By using these equations, you can determine that 1+i can be written as \sqrt{2}(\cos \frac{\pi}{4}+i\sin \frac{\pi}{4}), and 1+i\sqrt{3} can be written as 2(\cos \
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Write down number [tex]1+i[/tex] and [tex]1+i\sqrt{3}[/tex] in trigonometry form.[/B]

Homework Equations

For complex number [tex]z=x+iy[/tex]
[tex]\rho=|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
[tex]\varphi=arctg\frac{y}{x}[/tex]
And [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. For [tex]z=1+i[/tex]
[tex]\rho=\sqrt{1+1}=\sqrt{2} [/tex]
[tex]\varphi=arctg\frac{y}{x}=arctg1=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
So
[tex]1+i=\sqrt{2}(\cos \frac{\pi}{4}+i\sin \frac{\pi}{4})
or for
1+i\sqrt{3}
[tex]\rho=\sqrt{1+3}=2[/tex]
[tex]\varphi=arctg(\sqrt{3})=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
What is easiest way to find arctg?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always use a calculator! But if you mean of "easy angles", such as [itex]\pi/4[/itex], [itex]\pi/3[/itex], and [itex]\pi/6[/itex], it helps to have some experience with such values. For 1+ i, for example, you can mark the point in the complex plane and imagine a right triangle with one leg, along the real-axis, of length 1 and the other, perpendicular to the x-axis, of length 1. That is obviously an isosceles right triangle which tells you that the two acute angle are equal. Since they must add to [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], they must each be [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

For [itex]1+ i\sqrt{3}[/itex], we have a right triangle with one leg, along the real axis, of length 1 and the other, perpendicular to the x-axis, of lenth [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. You then get, as you did, that the hypotenuse of that right triangle is 2. Okay, imagine "flipping" that right triangle about the vertical leg. The leg of the new right triangle in the x-axis goes from 1 to 2 so the triangle made from both right triangle has base from 0 to 2, of length 2, the same as its other two sides. That is, the triangle is an equilateral triangle so all three of its angles are the same, each is [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex].

I would always recommend drawing an Argand diagram when attempting to determine the length and angle of complex numbers - this is where your equations originate anyway. After calculation it also serves as a decent way to check your numeric answers.

The length (modulus), ## \rho ##, may be found by using pythagoras as a right-angle triangle and the angle (argument), ## \phi ##, may be found by simple trigonometry.

Related to Complex numbers in trigonometry form

1. What are complex numbers in trigonometry form?

Complex numbers in trigonometry form are numbers that can be expressed as a combination of a real number and an imaginary number in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. This form is also known as the polar form, as it uses the polar coordinates of a point in the complex plane.

2. How are complex numbers converted into trigonometry form?

To convert a complex number into trigonometry form, we use the magnitude and argument of the complex number. The magnitude is the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number in the complex plane, and the argument is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the point. Using these values, we can express the complex number in the form z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the argument.

3. What is the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometry?

Complex numbers in trigonometry form are closely related to trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The real part of a complex number in trigonometry form represents the horizontal component of the point in the complex plane, while the imaginary part represents the vertical component. The magnitude and argument of the complex number can be used to find the values of sine and cosine, and vice versa.

4. How are operations performed on complex numbers in trigonometry form?

To perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on complex numbers in trigonometry form, we use the properties of trigonometric functions and the rules of exponents. For example, to multiply two complex numbers, we multiply their magnitudes and add their arguments, and to divide two complex numbers, we divide their magnitudes and subtract their arguments.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex numbers in trigonometry form?

Complex numbers in trigonometry form are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used to represent alternating currents in electrical circuits, electromagnetic waves, and vibrations in mechanical systems. They are also used in navigation and GPS systems to determine the location and direction of an object.