Complex numbers ordering: Is there a consistent order for complex numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ordering in real and complex numbers. It is stated that while real numbers can be ordered along a line, there is no way to order complex numbers in a similar manner due to their definition in a plane. Additionally, the concept of an "ordered field" is introduced and the conversation explores the consequences of this definition in terms of the imaginary unit, i. It is shown that there is a contradiction when trying to establish an order relation on complex numbers using the rules of an ordered field. Finally, it is mentioned that multiplying an inequality by a negative number inverts the direction of the inequality, but this does not apply to the problem at hand.
ashraf.yusoff
i have 1 question..
the question is: Given any 2 distinct real numbers a and b, exactly one a<b or b<a must be true. The real numbers are said to be ordered. Show that there is no ordering of the complex numbers.

my problems is not understand that orders~~anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, complex numbers are defined in a plane, while real numbers are defined along a line. See how there could be a problem in ordering complex numbers?

An "ordered field" is a field (so we have the usual rules for addition and multiplication) together with an order, x< y, such that:
1) if a< b, then a+ c< b+ c
2) if a< b and 0< c, then ac< bc
3) For any a and b one and only of
i) a= b
ii) a< b
iii) b< a
is true.

Clearly [itex]i\ne 0[/itex] so by (3) we must have either i> 0 or i< 0.

If i> 0 then, multiplying both sides by i, by (2), i(i)> i(0) or -1> 0. That is not, by itself a contradiction since this is not necessarily the "regular" order on the real numbers. But since -1> 0, multiplying both sides of i> 0 by -1, by (2) again, (-1)(i)> (-1)(0) so that -i> 0. Now add i to both sides- by (1), -i+ i> 0+ i or 0> i which contradicts i> 0.

If i< 0, then, adding -i to both sides, by (1), i- i< 0- i or 0< -i. Multiplying both sides of i< 0 by -i, by (2), (-i)(i)< (-i)(0) or 1< 0. Adding -1 to both sides, by (1), 0< -1. Again that is not itself a contradiction but multiplying both sides of i< 0 by -1, by (2), i(-1)< 0(-1) or -i< 0. Adding i to both sides, -i+ i< 0+ i so 0< i which does contradict i< 0.

Multiplying an inequality by a negative number inverts the direction of the inequality

planck42 said:
Multiplying an inequality by a negative number inverts the direction of the inequality
In the usual order relation on the real numbers, yes, but that has nothing to do with the problem here.

Related to Complex numbers ordering: Is there a consistent order for complex numbers?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have a real part and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter i, which is the square root of -1.

2. How are complex numbers ordered?

Complex numbers cannot be ordered in a traditional sense, as there is no natural order for imaginary numbers. However, they can be graphed on the complex plane, where the real numbers are plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers on the vertical axis.

3. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and include all rational and irrational numbers. Imaginary numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that cannot be represented on a number line and include all numbers that involve the square root of -1.

4. How do you compare two complex numbers?

To compare two complex numbers, you can compare their real parts first. If the real parts are equal, then you can compare their imaginary parts. If both the real and imaginary parts are equal, then the two complex numbers are equal.

5. Can complex numbers be used in real-life applications?

Yes, complex numbers are used in many real-life applications, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to represent and solve problems involving alternating current, quantum mechanics, and financial models. They are also used in computer graphics and signal processing.